1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use for virtual instruments?

Discussion in 'Bass & Other Instruments' started by woodbutcher65, Mar 11, 2018.

1. woodbutcher65

Expand Collapse

Feb 25, 2018
    I have some ideas I want to record but it's going to take more than just one guitar.

I have no band buddies to provide drums, bass, keyboards, sax, whatever....and I don't play those other instruments. (OK, all guitar players can get by on bass, I think.)

I'm sure I'm not the only solo "artist" (I use that term VERY loosely if describing myself) in here.

So what software package(s) do you use to create the other instruments in your recordings?

I'm looking for recommendations for something that's decent and not very expensive. And that works well with the entry level version of ProTools.
  2. bradlake

Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Jul 11, 2012
    Sampletank, EZ Drummer, Kontakt, et.al........using midi guitar 2 to input midi to virtual instruments .
  3. Rane

Expand Collapse

Oct 1, 2010
    EZ Drummer is amazing for sequencing beats if you're not super familiar with drums. I also recently got BFD3, which I am really enjoying. I use EZ Drummer for quick ideas, and BFD3 for the final sound/mixing. Superior Drummer would probably play nicer with EZ Drummer, but I really wanted BDF3. :)

I use Massive and TyrellN6 (free, and still one of the best analog sims available) for synth stuff. I'm not a big synth user, but do incorporate these sounds occasionally.

For pianos and strings, I use Logic's native stuff as well as Ableton Live Suite. I would love to get Komplete some day.