What do you use for backup if AX8 dies at gig?

I'm very tempted by the HK Stomp.

I've never really bonded with my Atomic AMplifire, the cleans are great but I've not yet got the dirt tones working for me. I might play around with IR's to see if that works, if not I'll get the HK...............until Fractal release a baby floor unit..........I hope!

I am also eyeing the Helix Stomp, but at $600, you might as well get a used AX8 for $900

My AFB is my backup and have dialed in pretty much the amp tones I like.
A few outboard effects I have are added to my mini board and I'm happy.
If I were to buy today, I like that mini HeadRush pedal just announced but think I will wait the next FAS product offering before getting anything else.

For guys who say they don't use backups, wait till it bites you in the ass. Just last night we get to a gig and our bass amp is DOA. We run a pod x3live in front of it for dirt, and i just grabbed the xlr from the bass amp, plopped into the pod, and away we went. Should always have something to get through especially if you are contractually obligated.

I still pack my old Vox Tonelab. It's what I used before my AX8. The AX8 has been real solid so I haven't had to use it (knock on wood). But I know it would get me through a show.

Heard about the Helix Stomp, I think I will give it a try as a backup unit (4 patches with different amps & effects). Looks better to me than the Amplifire Box, which I planned to buy.

The Stomp to me is L6 version of a AF3. The FB is a different animal. I don't know what L6 came out with a 3 button unit when Atomic decided to switch from 3 button to 6 after so many people said 3 is not enough

That's a good place to be in, two rigs. And yes that's what I'm after as well, except I need rig two to always be present at a gig. So size matters.

It's one more lightweight gig bag. I can bring both to a gig plus two guitars on my back and still bring it all in one trip.

Go the HX Stomp route instead if size matters. Throw it in the pocket of your guitar gig bag and forget it's even there until you need it.

I carry a flyrig 5 (the one w/plexi drive) in my gigbag. It's not too heavy to lug around. I actually get to remove the boxes of tubes that used to have to be in there! LOL! Only drawback, is that it's mono, and I have to also bring a stereo reverb and two DI w/XLR out.

IMO, the answer is, "It depends..."

Lots of good suggestions here. If you have to stay digital and you're on a budget, I would look at a used Atomic product as backup.

Certainly, the answer depends on how you use your AX8. If your gig requires a different preset with multiple scenes and an array of cosmic effects sent to FOH, some form of digital is probably the direction you'd need to go.

I look at backup as something that will get me by for now, even if it isn't perfect.

With my setup: AX8 split to power amp/cab on stage with a line to FOH, I could use my small, 20 watt Jet City head as backup and survive just fine. I would lose some versatility, obviously. But just set the head on my existing cab (mic'd). Maybe have a designated backup board with a delay, chorus, and drive pedal. And that's it. (I didn't sell all of my old gear once I got my AX8 so I still own all of this stuff.)

Even if you had to buy these things used, it wouldn't be much $$ and it's just there for you, easy to transport. I could do this and with what I play, the audience really wouldn't know the difference.

If you can't survive without having the same results as the AX8, I would knuckle up and just buy another AX8 and be done with it.

Good luck!

If my AX8 dies during a gig, the gig is now an acoustic gig :p
(Another + for the FlyRig RK5. That OMG is an awesome overdrive)

I have the Tech 21 RK5 Flyrig, but am looking at the new one with XLR out - PL1
I'm excited that they may release a v2 of the RK5 FlyRig with tuner and XLR out. That would go into the gig bag as backup.
I have the RK5 og, but hate having to carry a clip on tuner. Well, in general I just hate clip on tuners lol....

I have the Tech 21 RK5 Flyrig, but am looking at the new one with XLR out - PL1
You might miss the Reverb and not like the heavier distortions. It's quite a different animal.

I'd try the Mooer GE-200. It's cheap, and does what it's needed.

I trust my Ax8 won't let me down but anythings possible, but I want a b rig mainly cause there are places I play I don't want the Fractal on the floor so want an alternative

I would be shocked if my AX8 failed and I don't think it ever will...but if you play gigs you have to be prepared for that to happen.
I have a Zoom product that fits in my gig bag pocket and is always there and ready to go...it actually sounds decent should I ever need to use it, which I don't think I will, but you never know.
g1xon_slantRight.png

Back
Top Bottom