What do you use for backup if AX8 dies at gig?

That counts. I remember having to do this once on a gig with my AmpliFire (3). My point was, Fractal gear seems to enjoy a reputation of way above average reliability. I've never ever heard anyone suggest otherwise.

I've never heard anyone talking about reliability of FAS devices at all. :rolleyes:

It's standard professional practice to have a backup for things without which there would be no show. And there are other reasons besides "failure" to have a contingency plan, such as theft, lost airline luggage, or some kind of catastrophe like a clumsy tech dropping a PA cabinet or a coffee on it. :eek:

It's standard professional practice to have a backup for things without which there would be no show. And there are other reasons besides "failure" to have a contingency plan, such as theft, lost airline luggage, or some kind of catastrophe like a clumsy tech dropping a PA cabinet or a coffee on it. :eek:
Absolutely this. And to be honest, there are at least some minor problems posted on the forum pretty regularly. It's just a computer after all, and I don't trust computers to be reliable year in year out, especially in a gigging environment.

If I recall correctly there have been reports of AX8s drenched in beer and/or water without causing any failures.

There are minor mechanical issues like lost caps but nothing that would hint a hardware design flaw. The software side is another story. It might cause hangs and hickups, sometimes weird sounds but nothing a good old power cycle wasn't able to fix so far.

I received my AX8 in June of 2016 only to have it die completely some 6 weeks later.
The support from Fractal was outstanding and after some 10 days, the unit was returned and has never failed me since.

Sometimes stuff happens. I was lucky that the problem did not occur on stage but years of working with servers, routers, etc, I know that even the very best digital gear can have a problem. The issue didn't bother me as I had a Boss GT-100 and GP-10 at the time as backups and was already using FRFR.

If anything, I learned just how strongly FAS support their product and would not even hesitate to buy again from them.
Great product, great company and great support. Also noticed I have never read about anyone else having an issue like mine so, hey, stuff happens and I prepare for it with my trusty Atomic AFB which I use from time to time.

If I recall correctly there have been reports of AX8s drenched in beer and/or water without causing any failures.

There are minor mechanical issues like lost caps but nothing that would hint a hardware design flaw. The software side is another story. It might cause hangs and hickups, sometimes weird sounds but nothing a good old power cycle wasn't able to fix so far.

Yes, always good to know - and I wouldn't even use the thing if I had the slightest qualm about it. But I have had one instance of my road case containing the Ax8 not being loaded onto to my flight...it arrived a few hours later on the next flight. Luckily it was on the way home and not on the way to a gig. THAT worries me and has nothing to do with the product itself but just the nature of the business.

Their (MOOER) GE200 is so cheap it would be a great AX8 backup.

I recently bought the GE 200 after testing Line 6 Firehawk (which I found disappointing)... to me the GE 200 is a really good deal fo that price: it sounds good out of the box, is simple to tweak and really small if you are really just looking for an emergency backup for your Axe Fx II... and hey: it even supports custom IRs :)
If you need more control (Pedal/Foot Switches) - wait for the Mooer GE 300 :)

The Line 6 Firehawk IMHO isn't very balanced - and the limited features (e.g. EQ) do not even allow ironing out the unbalanced sound for e.g. certain clean tones/amps..

I recently bought the GE 200 after testing Line 6 Firehawk (which I found disappointing)... to me the GE 200 is a really good deal fo that price: it sounds good out of the box, is simple to tweak and really small if you are really just looking for an emergency backup for your Axe Fx II... and hey: it even supports custom IRs :)
If you need more control (Pedal/Foot Switches) - wait for the Mooer GE 300 :)

The Line 6 Firehawk IMHO isn't very balanced - and the limited features (e.g. EQ) do not even allow ironing out the unbalanced sound for e.g. certain clean tones/amps..
Good to know!
And a very timely post....I lent my AX8 to a buddy of mine to try out and I'm now wondering what I'm going to use this weekend. I have an Axe3, but I haven't set it up with a midi controller yet.
I pulled out my SansAmp last night and was very underwhelmed....

Wow, guess I'm going against the grain here. Fractal stuff is rock solid and I can't stand spending money on something I'll never use. So my backup solution is...

A $30 Joyo British Pedal! This thing is great motivation to not accidentally drop my AX8. :D

My III has experienced a failure, awaiting it's return. We need a plan B for everything in life. They even say as you age you should make some younger friends in case you outlive your peers. Most of the time I'll be monitoring with in ears. That said I know there will be times and situations where that wont be practical. Since I happen to have a Mesa single 12 cab, I'm thinking about a quilter to power it, and also thinking in a pinch I could use it direct to the PA and in ears to get through a gig. ( I may have a line on a good deal for the Tone Block 200)

Any thoughts on my thoughts?

Last edited:
Quilter sounds good in my oppinion.

Depending on your needs:
Heard about the Helix Stomp, I think I will give it a try as a backup unit (4 patches with different amps & effects). Looks better to me than the Amplifire Box, which I planned to buy.

Not really a back up, so much as it is an alternate rig, but I use my Helix to back up my AX8, and my AX8 to back up my Helix. I can and do use either one and not miss the other.

That's a good place to be in, two rigs. And yes that's what I'm after as well, except I need rig two to always be present at a gig. So size matters. Speaking of that, does anyone have any insight to the quilter frontline cabinet? Pricey to be sure, but it does look convenient.

I'm very tempted by the HK Stomp.

I've never really bonded with my Atomic AMplifire, the cleans are great but I've not yet got the dirt tones working for me. I might play around with IR's to see if that works, if not I'll get the HK...............until Fractal release a baby floor unit..........I hope!

Back
Top Bottom