What do you use for backup if AX8 dies at gig?

I'm really tempted by an Amplifirebox or an original Amplifire for a in case of emergencies situation and for gigs were I don't want to take the AX8,

I'm really tempted by an Amplifirebox or an original Amplifire for a in case of emergencies situation and for gigs were I don't want to take the AX8,

Before getting the AFB, I had the AA3 and while I loved the tones, I hated the way it handled expression and send/return. Also found the editor and FX controls goofy. The AX8 has a much better implementation. So I sold it.
Had the AA6 been around at the time, I would have kept it and never purchased the AFB. Between getting a second hand AA3 or a new AFB, I would prefer the AFB. Just my 2 cents.

Recently got a 3rd rig, a Katana 100 head and a second hand Tech21 2 x 12" cab with very old EV speakers. Speaker weighs about as much as a 4 x 12" cab but the sound is incredible.

Are the guitar players so paranoid to always have backups for everything? Seriously, does your keyboard player have a spare keyboard backstage and drummer has a spare drumset?

Could be paranoia with a hint of G.A.S. tossed in. I did however have huge embarrassments in the past where I had no extra guitar or amp and decided from there... "Never again"

Are the guitar players so paranoid to always have backups for everything? Seriously, does your keyboard player have a spare keyboard backstage and drummer has a spare drumset?

But all the keyboard players I've been in bands with have always had multiple keyboards so they have redundancy in their rigs

Makes sense to have something with you if there's an issue, plus seeing as the Ax8 has killed 99% of my gas, what's wrong with a little treat!?!

Before getting the AFB, I had the AA3 and while I loved the tones, I hated the way it handled expression and send/return. Also found the editor and FX controls goofy. The AX8 has a much better implementation. So I sold it.
Had the AA6 been around at the time, I would have kept it and never purchased the AFB. Between getting a second hand AA3 or a new AFB, I would prefer the AFB. Just my 2 cents.

Recently got a 3rd rig, a Katana 100 head and a second hand Tech21 2 x 12" cab with very old EV speakers. Speaker weighs about as much as a 4 x 12" cab but the sound is incredible.

Interesting, I've got a second hand AA3 lined up for around £320, or could order a brand new AFB from Andertons tomorrow for £270

Main use would be to throw in the gigbag for rehearsals and back up for the Ax8, as well as an occasional change of tones

Same backup as with amps: In the compartment beneath the neck in the guitar case are: Extra strings, a winder, tuner, picks, cords, 9v batteries, business cards and a Sansamp Oxford. The Sansamp is always on hand if needed, and works well into any old amp or direct to the desk.

Last edited:
I throw my Apogee Jam interface in my AX8 bag along with my iPhone charger and a 1/8" to XLR adapter. I can connect to the Agile AmpKit app on my iPhone in no time. Granted, this is not an ideal solution (no effects or channel switching), but it would at least let me finish a gig. The charger is to make sure I could get through 3 sets if necessary. I have tested this in rehearsal, but luckily haven't needed to use it at a gig.

Flyrig 5

I'd just love if they put on it 2 of the advantages of the Bass Flyirig: an integrated tuner and a switch to move the booster to the beginning or the end if the chain.

It's possible; it's in the bass flyrig. I don't know why they haven't done it yet.

I have use the FlyRig PLEXI. It is very good. You can use your guitar volume, and the boost function on the FlyRig to alter sounds. It has a good reverb and a tap tempo delay too. I also have a good Zoom MultiStomp pedal which lets you use an amp sim, and up to six combined fx. You can tap tempo delay if required. It has a tuner. You can choose what the foot switch will do, for example toggle a compressor or switch on a boost, up to you. I find it a great wee yoke!!
It's no AX8 or XL etc, but it will allow you to finish your gig and get paid and get home money earned, perhaps when you are many miles from home............................. In any event a backup microphone, amp sim, even guitar can save your bacon at an important gig, good to have something to hand when the gear gremlins strike!;)

Last edited:
Got the AA3, blown away by how good it can sound

Tempted by an AA6 now as I'd use the extra switches

I always carry a small amp & 1 good Distortion pedal in the truck in case. I have a tech 21 Trademark 30 and a Emma Reeza Fritz.

I have backups of backups...I've been using and loving the Ax8 for about 5 months now and have never had the slightest problem with it but one must be prepared.

I go direct from Ax8 to FOH but also have Out 2 with no cab sim going to an onstage amp+cab (using amp FX return), for stage sound only. Local gigs I bring my own rig but fly dates all have backline provided so I'm covered. I'm also the only one in my band to use IEMs, so the backline is to maintain the traditional look/sound, and balance with the other guitarist on the other side of the stage.

If the stage amp fails, I'm still going direct to FOH and can do without it. If the Ax8 fails, I can plug into the amp and we throw a mic on it or use the Cab Clone out when I have my Boogie Mark V:25 head. If everything fails I have an Xotic SL drive pedal and a Quilter Microblock 45 to use as an amp, provided the cab doesn't break down. If that happens I guess I just play acoustic the rest of the show...(yes, that's happened!)

Oh one other thing...I gig with the Ax8 as a bassist too, and my emergency backup for that is a Tech 21 VT Bass DI in my gig bag.

I had a Flyrig a while ago but didn't like the Boost setup and found the levels difficult to control. Also no tuner so you need an extra pedal.

I currently have a Pedaltrain Nano with pedals (AC+, TC Chrous, TC Delay, Plextortion, Boost, Tuner) but it is another bag I have to lug around.

I want a small multi FX to put in my gear bag. I need Drive/Delay/Chorus/Tuner and Boost. I see these things by Nux, Mooer etc. Just bought a Mooer Baby Bomb for backup amp BTW.

Recommendations ??

Exactly how many of you have actually had ANY of their Fractal gear fail at a gig (or a session)? I have an AX8 inbound (former FX8 user) and you're all making it seem as though the phenomenon occurs at epidemic levels, making a backup vitally important. I know stuff happens, but this is one thing that has never ever happened for me. Just saying ...

Exactly how many of you have actually had ANY of their Fractal gear fail at a gig? I have an AX8 inbound (former FX8 user) and you're all making it sound as though the phenomenon occurs at epidemic levels or something. I know stuff happens, but this is one thing that has never ever happened for me.

Had to reboot twice while gigging. No unrecoverable failures so far.

That counts. I remember having to do this once on a gig with my AmpliFire (3). My point was, Fractal gear seems to enjoy a reputation of way above average reliability. I've never ever heard anyone suggest otherwise.

Had to reboot twice while gigging. No unrecoverable failures so far.

Back
Top Bottom