What do you use for backup if AX8 dies at gig?

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
My AX8 has been supper reliable and is built like a tank, but it is an electronic box and electronics can die at any moment for any number of reasons. And while I've never heard of an AX8 dying at a gig, it certainly could. Without a backup you would be totally screwed.

I've considered picking up an Axe FXII - but that is a pricey backup, and a big box to lug around "just in case". Loading a tube amp in the vehicle kinda defeats one of advantages of the AX8 (not having to lug an amp). My PA head (Soundcraft Ui24R) does have Digitech amp modeling on a few inputs, but the one time I played with it I couldn't stand it.

At the moment I'm considering picking up an Ampli-firebox. Its small, cheap, looks easy to use, and probably sounds good enough to save the day if the unthinkable were to happen. So what is your plan B?

I’d get another AX8 if possible. I’ve juggled different systems for backup purposes and it sucks when they just don’t sound the same, and you have to learn multiple operating systems. I’d either go super simple for a backup or identical. Maybe something more analog like the Flyrig if it works, or some pedals you trust and a cheap cab sim pedal perhaps. That’s just my thought on it.

Yeah, a 2nd AX8 would be ideal if I was on a big budget tour, but alas that isn't the case and having that much money tied up in something I'll probably never need seems silly. Super simple is indeed the idea here. I forgot about the Flyrig...the Ampli-Firebox was kinda the same idea - an amp and cab sim in a stomp box. Like the Flyrig it has some built in effects or you could add a few stomp boxes. I guess there are the Tech21 amp/cab sim boxes as well. I just need to find one that sounds good enough direct to a PA that I could make it through a gig if needed.

When I win the lottery, I’m planning to have the AxeFxIII as a backup unit. Until then I’m flying without a parachute.

Some time ago i bought a cheap second hand line6 amplifi fx. I was planning to put together a bank with clean, crunch, higain and lead tones as a backup solution. But I never even got around to taking it out of the box. Sold it again after a few months.

Boss Katana 1x12 combo (with Footswitch) ....... if it's local gigging and you've room to bring it, a small footprint combo covers you for failure in any/all areas of processor/amp/speaker failure in your primary rig.

I use the amplifire as a backup - with a 95q wah and tuner on little pt board it takes no space to carry and has come in handy for gigs where floorspace is too cramped for my ax8 board.

I tried the flyrig and really like the sounds but I could get a way of having a higher gain sound and solo boost - if they moved the boost (or made it an switchable option) to after the distortion then it would be awesome.

When I get the cash together I'm going to build a PedalTrain Nano with a Polytune mini and an Ampli-Firebox. Maybe throw in an EHX Magnum 44 or the same size Quilter for flexibility.

Fuck all...

If I was responsible lad, I would have a backup guitar, Ax8 + EV2+ Backup mixer, Backup PA. My bandmates should have also have backups.

I know there are very few that have actually had an issue but when compared to the numbers that are out there I would have to say it's far better than working with any other device.

If I were to get a back up I would probably grab an Amplifire, small, compact and inexpensive yet sounds great!

At a minimum, I have a FlyRig5, along with spare guitar, and other backup items. I also have an AX8 that is available most gigs backing up my Axe FX (my primary gig rig).

No disrespect intended to anyone who feels otherwise, but I view what I do as both a craft and a service. The second part of that involves my reputation in the business as a professional. I’m paid to make music, not excuses. For 40+ years now, I’ve kept that reputation clean by making good the promise. We’ve had malfunctions, but always made the night. My FAS gear has never broken on me, but it is gear and it can break, so I carry a backup for that and whatever else I can reasonably account for.

Back to the OP: cheap, super easy to carry route is the FlyRig5, the better backup, if you can swing it, is a second AX8. You can also use the spare at home or rehearsals if your primary one is in the truck/trailer. The entire FR5 fits in the case pocket of my PRS 513, so there’s just no reason for me not to have it available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom