What do you think of the Klon?

My use of the Chiron on the Fm3 in the same way i did with the various Klones i owned.

Strickly used for single note and lead stuff, i think it's a pedal that shines in that context (and i much preferer it with single coils).
As for the accuracy of the model in the unit, its sounds klonish to me! Pretty much as all the characteristics of a Klon.

That said there are a lot of drive models in the unit i prefer. Even for a Mids based pedal i tend to choose a TS.

There's a lot of "mysticism" and "folklore" behind the Klon, but at the end of the day it's just a guitar pedal. There's nothing magic, just a good sounding pedal. But there are thousands of good sounding pedals out there, some that will do exact same job (look at that ridiuclous Bad Monkey situation).

I go back and forth on Klon-style pedals. I've had several hardware clones (Tumnus, Ryra, some Chinese/Amazon thing, etc.) and played a couple more. I don't really like them as a boost, especially compared to a PEQ block, and I sold all my hardware ones a while ago (before the Chiron).
How did you find the Tumnus? I must admit I was intrigued after it won the Anderton's shoot out.

How did you find the Tumnus? I must admit I was intrigued after it won the Anderton's shoot out.

I liked it for a long time. I ended up switching to the Ryra, which I liked better. There wasn't really a sonic reason, at least not one that jumped out at me....I might have preferred it just because it looked cooler.

I honestly don't think that the differences between the pedals are really worth worrying about and would say that if you wanted one...just pick the one that looks coolest to you and fits on your board. Other people doing shoot-outs have concluded that the Ceriatone one or the Ryra were the most accurate. I have no idea who to trust on that one, though. I've never played a real one. And if you do something like getting the level wrong by a tiny amount, the louder one is almost always going to come out on top anyway....and the knobs aren't all 1-to-1 if only because of manufacturing tolerances.

So....the Uncle Larry video about comparing pedals from a few days ago (501chorusecho on YT) perfectly illustrates my point.

When he was comparing the various editions of Nobles, it's very clear from watching a meter that his preference was always for the loudest one.

So....the Uncle Larry video about comparing pedals from a few days ago (501chorusecho on YT) perfectly illustrates my point.

When he was comparing the various editions of Nobles, it's very clear from watching a meter that his preference was always for the loudest one.
It's so weird to see how many experienced youtubers seem to ignore this.

love it. replaced my first stage and is a good flavors second stage. it also sounds really good if you run two together. one as a clean boost one as a low to mid gain od.

love it. replaced my first stage and is a good flavors second stage. it also sounds really good if you run two together. one as a clean boost one as a low to mid gain od.
Since I created this thread, I've begun experimenting stacking the Klon in front of a Bluesbreaker or the FAS Boost. I find it more useful that way.

The FET Boost does a better job for the same application in my case, because it is more transparent and open sounding.

Back
Top Bottom