What do you think of stainless frets?

I had them put on a Warmoth Tele neck, and have nothing but good things to say about them (that have already been said).

I've been thinking about SS for awhile now, but I've never used them. When I need a refret for my main guitars, I think I'll go for SS. I don't even want to think about that at this point... I just don't trust anybody enough to do a full refret.

I've been thinking about SS for awhile now, but I've never used them. When I need a refret for my main guitars, I think I'll go for SS. I don't even want to think about that at this point... I just don't trust anybody enough to do a full refret.

Same here. Grew really tired, really fast of guys doing "shotty" work or not giving a shit about other players setups/necks/fretwork about 20 years ago. That's what spurred me on with much enthusiasm to learn this trade. Since then, never been happier with my guitars/necks and fretwork. Also saved on paying out lots of cash and have returning customers to boot. :D

Last edited:
Hate having refrets - the guitar comes back a bit of a stranger for a while - so I've now got my 2 main guitars with SS ....... so eternal love can now ensue.

They are slinky, I don't hear a difference in tone but for peace of mind I do change my strings more often because they get a bit of extra wear (I think)

Hate having refrets - the guitar comes back a bit of a stranger for a while - so I've now got my 2 main guitars with SS ....... so eternal love can now ensue.

They are slinky, I don't hear a difference in tone but for peace of mind I do change my strings more often because they get a bit of extra wear (I think)

Well, anyone just holding, let alone playing, your guitar can make it weird. Or great. A veteran player I knew some years ago, every time he played my guitar, it felt different back in my hands, and I played different. Better.

Anyways, maybe it's just this new guitar* - which has stainless frets - that seems great when I pick it up, and then after a little while, my hand is getting tired and cramped. I put it down and pick up my older Carvin, and I can resume playing for a while. I'm a pretty light player - ie: I've never broken a string from playing, even really old strings, and I don't really do bends.

*The new one is all alder (neck-thru), the older one is maple neck-thru with alder sides. They both have pretty high gain pick-ups.

Last edited:
Greatly prefer SS frets. Have them on many guitars. As noted by Roland, any time one of my guitars need fretwork, I slap on Jumbo SS. Perhaps a personal taste thing, but certainly what I like.

Smooth as butter ... just refretted with SS and pleked a 25 year old BC Rich Mockingbird ... plays like a dream and the tone was conserved. Highly suggested if you like to bend.

I like SS fret. Got them on my Parkers and EBMM JPX. Plan on getting them on a custom build too.

I haven't noticed that I have to press harder for sustain versus nickel frets. However, bending is a lot easier.

Anyways, maybe it's just this new guitar* - which has stainless frets - that seems great when I pick it up, and then after a little while, my hand is getting tired and cramped. I put it down and pick up my older Carvin, and I can resume playing for a while.
There's something else going on with that guitar. Taller frets or something. Sometimes a little fret buzz wil make you unconciously squeeze the neck tighter, trying to make the note ring out. Or it could be something else. But stainless steel frets won't make your fretting hand work any harder.

I've just worn out my second set of SS frets on my Parker. I guess I play it a lot!
Would have had a dozen fret jobs on standard frets by now.

There's something else going on with that guitar. Taller frets or something. Sometimes a little fret buzz wil make you unconciously squeeze the neck tighter, trying to make the note ring out. Or it could be something else. But stainless steel frets won't make your fretting hand work any harder.

I dunno. Both guitars have medium-jumbo frets, are 25" scale. Very similar in build. I'm going to send it back and have them make something else.

I dunno. Both guitars have medium-jumbo frets, are 25" scale. Very similar in build. I'm going to send it back and have them make something else.
You might want to check the action, the neck relief, and the nut height. Any of those could make the guitar harder to play.

I have SS on my strat. I have had galling ( metal on metal grind ) issues between my strings an the frets if I bend over one position long enough, or I engage in a very long session.

Other than that I really like it - but this is a problem. Not really sure what the issue is.

Man you must have some serious downward presser in your fretting hand...

I bought a Parker Fly Classic years ago and one of the big reasons was for it's stainless steel frets, since conventional frets made me mental. They just wore out too fast, the uneven intonation in different parts of the neck made me cringe, etc., and coupled with the fact that there are no good luthiers/fret-guys in my city, made me seek out alternatives. My Fly is ~12 years old and there is only the slightest wear on the 2nd fret G string, and I've played it a lot.

I have a Suhr S4 with stainless steel frets and won't buy a guitar without them. I love the silky feel and I think you get better sustain since the contact on a polished SS fret feels more 'positive'...no corrosion, just a nice mirrored smooth surface at all times, even outside on hot, damp afternoon gigs. As for the tone difference....I dunno, I get sweet sounds with both of them and that's good enough for me.

My friend just got a Wolfgang (or some new EVH guitar) with SS frets on it and he's never really tried them for any length of time, and he is completely sold on them now as well.

Love them. I started playing Tom Anderson guitars early this year and they have SS frets. I had great memories of my Parker with SS frets but it is better than I remember. Maybe cause it is a TAG but I swear by them

Back
Top Bottom