What do you set as your output level on the front panel?

I'm running through output 1 and I'm wondering if the output level 1 knob should be up all the way or if I need to dial it in at a lesser value.

Both of my outputs are usually set at 5.5. One output goes to my NX monitor; the other, FOH.

Some here say to put the out knob all the way up for the best signal to noise ratio. However some gear can't handle that much output from the axe, so you'll clip their inputs.

In that case you'll have to turn the out knob down anyway.

I suggest using the knob between 9 o clock and 3 o clock, preferably 12 if possible. Then you have some wiggle room if needed. The noise is so low on the axe so you should not have any problems.

I discuss this in depth in my video about using PA gear, if your interested. It's in the mixer section near the end, discussing gain staging.

http://blog.katsukurimedia.com/2013/01/axe-fx-ii-connecting-to-pa-gear/

I usually use 12 o'clock when going into the FOH for output 1.
When playing through headphones, it's like 9-10 o'clock.

Output 2 all the way up for unity gain.

3 o'clock into my RCF NX12-SMA

FOH varies from 9 o'clock onward depending on the board where we play.

Up full into my Matrix amp. Best way for me to know what levels I'm running at gigs... it's easier to fine tune it on my rack compressor if needed.

interesting, does the output actually have any impact on the sound, eg. whether its up a smidgen or nearly the whole way, should it make a difference running into frfr powered speakers? My thoughts have been set the speakers pretty high and usually have the output between 9 and 11 (for a bedroom). Usually 9 or even 8 for bedroom playing.

I should probably start my own thread, but here's a question that's been bugging me lately.

I run the 2 into a VHT 2/50/2 power amp so it's expecting a signal of 0db in the analog realm I believe. I've been wondering, as I often jack up the axe fx output to full on some gigs, whether I am clipping/compressing its input and screwing my sound up at all? I'm guessing I should be feeding it a digital signal of no greater than -12dbfs from the axe?

I've not noticed any issues with my sound whilst doing this I should add.

Last edited:
12 o'clock into my Matrix amp. Gives the option of up & down. Although I find the output controls dont have that big of an effect past 12.

I should probably start my own thread, but here's a question that's been bugging me lately.

I run the 2 into a VHT 2/50/2 power amp so it's expecting a signal of 0db in the analog realm I believe. I've been wondering, as I often jack up the axe fx output to full on some gigs, whether I am clipping/compressing its input and screwing my sound up at all? I'm guessing I should be feeding it a digital signal of no greater than -12dbfs from the axe?

I've not noticed any issues with my sound whilst doing this I should add.

You're using a tube amp, and it's supposed to take the output of a tube preamp. All preamp stages in my tube amps deliver more than the Axe can take or give. So, you can safely max your Axe..or not. Whatever sounds best to you. With a completely clean patch, do you get any unwanted distortion when maxing the Axe into the VHT? If so, turn it down till it goes away 8)

Back
Top Bottom