What do you run between your guitar and the AxeFx?

Ordered a couple of the new EHX pedals, Soul Food, Hot Tubes Nano and East River Drive (even though I know that is just a TS clone) just to give them a try

Maybe that Klon magic will translate to the Axe lol

Honestly one I'm most interested in from demo's is the Hot Tubes, seems to give a nice thickening and adds a bit of warmth/body with the drive set low. Thinking it might give a little something extra to some presents using a FF model

Guitar goes into a countryman active D/I then thence into a 4 channel Rane rackmount. It is joined there by a viola with a passive pup also going into a Countryman, thence into the mixer (both take 48v phantom from the mixer), and a sennheiser 441 dynamic mic, coming into channel 3 of this mixer (mixer has mic preamps). I use this to control input to the rest of the rack, and for rudimentary EQ. From the mixer, I come out on in mono via a monster cable to a Morley Volume/Distortion/Wah, from there into left rear input of my Axe II. Output II (FX loop) loops mono out and stereo back to/from a PCM-70. Output I goes from Axe-FX II goes out in stereo to a Boomerang III looper with sidecar. From there, it goes (well, will really soon) into a Morley volume pedal (which is mono of course) - or perhaps some kind of stereo volume pedal if sch a beast exists, then into my Matrix 2U amp, then out via speakon to my passive Art of Noise speaks. All cabling is Monster except the speakon, which is just some good thick copper stuff. The Morley vol/dst/wah will eventually be replaced, probably by a SINGLE mission pedal (THANK YOU Liquid Foot Pro+ for this functionality) - but only if I like the volume and wah I can get out of it - and I haven't tried yet in all these years, because I am so used to this setup. But ditching the loop to the pedal from the mixer would be a good simplification. Can't do that on the other end: the boomerang can't be in the fx loop with the PCM-70 the way I use it - it has to be post everything - and I need volume after that, for complex reasons - final stop before the amp.

Yeah, I know.. too much coffee :)

Last edited:
Vintage EH Big Muff fuzz, (Keeley: Rat, SD-1, Nova Wah, Compressor), vintage Ibanez Tube Screamer, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, Vintage Thomas Organ Company Wah, Vintage Cry Baby Wah + fuzz, vintage Boss CE-2 chorus, MXR EVH Phaser, vintage EH Electric Mistress Flanger, vintage EH Memory Man analog delay (this is one is really too noisy now and is in need of repairs :( )

Various and sundry other newer overdrives that I swap in an out.

Also a Danelectro opto compressor my wife bought be as a gift.

Dunlop Crybaby 535 (original version, not the Q version). That pedal has some serious mojo rising.

Sometimes I use an Ebow before the guitar, but that's another story altogether.

Let me rephrase that... a Line 6 G90 wireless with upgraded cables ( Mogami cable with Neutrik rt. angle ends... ) ;-)

Didn't think this would turn in to a cable and wireless discussion, but I guess that's a valid answer! Was really wondering how many people were using boosts, buffers, or other sorts of pedals.

i used to have a barber LTD, barber small fry, and barber direct drive on my pedalboard and stupidly sold them right before my axe fx II was delivered. big mistake :( i will also sometimes use a boomerang III looper on solo gigs. if not, there's a vovox sonorus cable between my guitar and axe fx II

I sometimes run one of my Avalon VT 737sp in front of the Axe Fx 2 just to change the tone of my guitars.

Well, I am slowly selling off a lot of my gear that I ran in front of my traditional amp since I got the AFX. Most my stuff was rack mounted and my signal chain ran guitar -> Line 6 G90 -> Dunlop 535Q wah -> Digitech Whammy -> amp input (Peavey JSX) -> TC Electronics G-Force (via FX loop)... All controlled via a Rocktron All Access MIDI controller and 2 EB pedals for volume and expression. I also use an RJM Rack Gizmo to control my amp channels and any excess FX (formerly Digitech 2112 and other rack mounted pedals) via MIDI.

Now with the AFX, I am hoping that it will replace all my effects and will leave me with only my soon-to-arrive RJM MMGT16 and a couple expression pedals on my board and only my AFX, Matrix GT1000 and wireless gear in my rack... All into my Xitone cab. I'm looking forward to my much lighter weight rig. My body will thank me!

Back
Top Bottom