What do you guys usually do with Xformer Match?

I find lowering it to around .774 sounds better across almost all amp types.

I did this on the AX8, but on the Axe 3 I haven't found it necessary for me. Sounds fantastical with minimal changes for my needs. It did really enhance the AX8 though.

I don’t ever touch it except for on the VibroVerb.. and that’s only if I’m seeking a certain authenticity for a particular pair of sequentially numbered Cesar Diaz modded Amps.

high gain and bassy esp. mesas often reduce it. However I can use it as a Fletcher Munson dial. If I play super loud and need to cut back treble I will INCREASE it sometimes.

I tend to not strive beyond the basic page. Only the knobs that are actually on the real amp.
Though, to get authentic results, the speaker page has to be tweaked...
I don't quite understand the Xformer match/drive settings.
I get the impedance curve, but I don't quite get the rationale on how to set Xformer correctly, so I don't touch it.

Going to have to take a closer look at this one.

I may not understand it but that's the cool thing about modeling; you don't have to understand it to use it. It's not like we're building or modding a physical amp where there can be devastating or catastrophic results. Just twist the knob and if you like what it does to the tone, use it. If not, leave it alone. Doesn't hurt to try it though.

Reactions: jon
I tend to not strive beyond the basic page. Only the knobs that are actually on the real amp.
Though, to get authentic results, the speaker page has to be tweaked...
I don't quite understand the Xformer match/drive settings.
I get the impedance curve, but I don't quite get the rationale on how to set Xformer correctly, so I don't touch it.

I think it decides which part of the power section clips first, the phase inverter or the power tubes. Lower values give a more focused feel while higher values make it spongy. You'll notice a difference in feel in non MV amps where the bulk of distortion is from the power section.

I find lowering it to around .774 sounds better across almost all amp types. Others have same experience?

Yes....lowering it can make amps more open sounding....less congested. The higher the master volume the more powerful Xformer Match is. I agree that setting it lower than the default setting almost always sounds better to me.

you turn it down, amp gets louder-less compressed. Back in time i got tricked with this. If you wanna do a healthy A/B comparison, you should match the volume levels. In my case, i found out i dont need to mess with it.

On Axe2, iirc, used to move it to 0.9-0.7 depending to add “grit” on key amps.

No need in Ares. Amps so dayum good I can’t taste ‘em all fast enough.

I find lowering it to around .774 sounds better across almost all amp types. Others have same experience?

Exactly the same experience. I usually always turn it down (under match)... in one of the tech notes threads https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-secret-weapon-transformer-match.98527/ creator describes the effect that under matching or over matching does to the power tubes, one way makes the power grid clip earlier or something...

All I know is that when Mesa first started making the 2-channel Rectifiers they used the Mark IV transformers (smaller), turning down the Xformer match (undermatch) floats my boat without fail. Turning it up makes it get stiffer, I like to feel amps fold a bit as you dig in

edit: I'm so backwards....under matching cleans up the power amp distortion, that's what my feels prefer for a recto, at least as far as the transformer effects the sound...under matched transformer + lots of power section sag combined, (vs) very little sag and a big transformer. Turning it up (over matching) makes the power tubes distort sooner, more compression. Harvey Bunson effect.

Last edited:
I may not understand it but that's the cool thing about modeling; you don't have to understand it to use it. It's not like we're building or modding a physical amp where there can be devastating or catastrophic results. Just twist the knob and if you like what it does to the tone, use it. If not, leave it alone. Doesn't hurt to try it though.

I've never touched it either. But with this shared philosophy, I'm gonna dive in. :)

If I'm going for a huge high gain tone, I usually reduce the Transformer Match a bit which tends to tighten up the bass and bring back some of the high frequencies without sounding too shrill.

Back
Top Bottom