What do you guys use for drum sounds? Also what controller for sounds?

romanianreaper

Power User
I'm using Audacity for recording (free) :) and wondering what is a great hard rock metal drum software that is relatively cheap? Also, what do you guys use to actually make the drum sounds (controller, etc.)?

Thanks!

I use Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 with The Metal Foundry expansion. (along with a lot of other people)It is worth every penny I assure you. Toontrack EZdrummer is okay if you get the Drumkit From Hell expansion and its relatively cheap. But Superior is definitely the best bang for your buck.

And I personally use the piano roll in my DAW to map out my drums. It is a little time consuming but it works great for me.

I second jalonhall.. I use exactly the same software and method. I find it pretty darn easy actually. This track is all superior drummer with metal foundry, all programmed in piano roll with a mouse.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just curious, and without sounding like a complete caveman, what is a "Piano Roll"? Also, I don't have any type of DAW. I have a basic, crappy HP computer and just plug my Axe-FX II into it. Do I need to pick up something else?

ez drummer with the metalheads expansion in reaper \m/

Yeah, I can't afford the 2.0 Superior right now so maybe I'll get ez drummer first and get used to it, then update with the metalheads expansion. I just got to figure out a way to "control" the drum sounds.

Piano roll is a grid system that allows you to input any MIDI sounds in an x/y format, and includes the ability to choose the duration and velocity (kind of like volume) of the MIDI events. The reason it is referred to as "piano roll" is because on the left-most side of the screen, you see a keyboard that represents the different MIDI programmable "keys". Also, if you have a MIDI keyboard, you can tap out a beat while recording programmed sounds and then go into keyboard roll to fix it. It can get pretty involved to get things sounding humanized, but with a little work you'll be plowing through without any issues.

Toontracks metal machine Ezx, DFH, steven slate. I use the piano roll in PT10 and a Simmons multipad. I load ALL of my drum samples into slates SSD sampler. I hate how superior and ezxs wont load out side wav files.

Back
Top Bottom