what do you guys use for a lead/solo boost?

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I've been running my Marshall JVM 210H for a few years now and and finally I feel that the modeling through a power amp into a real cab is where it should be. I've been running my Axe II into the return of the JVM loop and using it for power and it sounds spot on.
I just ordered a duncan Power Stage as I'm sick of lugging my JVM around just to use as a power amp. One of the great things about the JVM is that it has a 2nd master volume that is pedal controlled so you can boost your volume for leads with a click.
How do you guys do this in a patch without overloading the output but still making it jump up enough for the lead?

You basically just want to add a block after the Amp block (and before any post-amp ambient effects like reverb, etc) that bumps your level between 2-6dB.

Most people use a Null type Filter block, but you can use a Vol/Pan or an EQ set from flat (or maybe with a slight mid-boost)... Really any block that allows for a level increase with no tonal change.

If you use scenes, you could put a scene controller on the Amp block Level parameter... Or you could use the output mixer and make that scene louder.

Lots of options...

Search the forum for "lead boost".

thanks I do use scenes, I actually have a "lead scene" that I've been using with the 2nd master from the JVM
I've never heard of a "scene controller", is that available on the Axe FX II?

thanks I do use scenes, I actually have a "lead scene" that I've been using with the 2nd master from the JVM
I've never heard of a "scene controller"
Check the manual. There are 2 Scene Controllers on the Axe Fx II. They can be very powerful.

I actually use a combination approach: I have a Filter block and I control the level with a scene controller.

Since I like to have kitchen sink presets, I have a few lead scenes in each one.

I use a "pedal platform" approach mostly, with a "base" clean tone that I use Drive blocks to add gain to.

I adjust the drive block to get the gain I want and use the Filter to add or reduce overall level after the amp.

I keep a filter block near the end of my chain, past all the blocks that change when you add more input gain, and have it set up as a clean boost. Channel X is +4 dB of boost, and Y is +6 dB of boost (on the III it's +4, +6, +8, +10 on the four channels). In all my presets it's always FIL2 that does this, so I can have on IA on my controller that's always the Boost IA.

actually the scene boost works Perfectly. I never knew that was there, I bumped it up 5db's ....sounds just about right. Thanks for the heads up . The other guitarist I'm playing with was not overwhelmed with my tone (although the rest of the band thought is sounded killer) so I am tweaking right now. I hope the Seymour duncan powerstage 170 I have incoming is not a total disappointment because running the JCM 800 model through the power amp of the JVM (which is based on the JCM 800 power amp) sounds freaking amazing :) So does the Satch JVM amp model. All I need is Marshall based amps for this project so getting just one of these to sound killer with the Duncan will carry me through. I really don't feel like lugging this thing around with me anymore LOL!

I do that in two seperate ways:
1. With the pedals of my Art X-15 Midiboard: One of the two pedals is dedicated to the volume change between rhythm and solo. The second one is responsible for possible changes between the rhythm and the solo sound, in most cases more amp drive without volume change (the controller turns the gain up and the amp volume down in one move) or blending in effects like reverb and delay that would stuff the mix in rhythm parts. Some presets have the WAH on that second pedal. So it is easy to press down both pedals together or only one at a time to have a good control with the normal use.
2. The Art X-15 does also have a separat switch named "BYPASS" that can be assigned to any MIDI control change. I have a null filter with 2 or 3dB boost if my bandmates are a little loud. This is my "emergency boost", luckily I have to use that very seldom ;-)

I prefer a separate sound for leads then just normal crunch with a boost. Normal crunch is a cranked Marshall, while for leads I prefer a Big Muff with plenty of mids into a Fender Twin. So I usually use a separate scene dedicated to that in my preset.

I've adopted a Control Switch for the solo/boost function.

The typical modifier setup I use is:
1. Switching on the Amp "Boost Switch".
2. Switching off the Amp "Bright Switch" if it's on.
3. Increasing the volume in the Cab block by 3dB.

If more gain is needed either attach the modifier to the "Input Drive" or "Saturation Switch". You can also engage a Drive pedal with the Control Switch.

Me, I like using a filter block (At the very end of the chain) with a mid hump around 1750 Hz and a Q of about .5. The boost of that mid hump has a scene controller; +4.5 dB for the guitar solo scene, 0 for the other scenes. There’s also a 1000 ms damping on there, so stepping on the scene footswitch gently “fades up” the boost over 1 second.

I've adopted a Control Switch for the solo/boost function.

The typical modifier setup I use is:
1. Switching on the Amp "Boost Switch".
2. Switching off the Amp "Bright Switch" if it's on.
3. Increasing the volume in the Cab block by 3dB.

If more gain is needed either attach the modifier to the "Input Drive" or "Saturation Switch". You can also engage a Drive pedal with the Control Switch.
No Control Switches on Axe Fx Ii :(

Depends on the song and the style of music. It is usually one, or a combination, of:
Add a mid boost
Turn on a drive pedal
Change AMP
Change AMP settings
or just turn up my guitar volume.

...There’s also a 1000 ms damping on there, so stepping on the scene footswitch gently “fades up” the boost over 1 second.

I like that idea. I'll have to give it a try. I just use a 3 to 4 dB flat filter boost at the end of my signal chain, but at times the jump when I add it is undesirably apparent. I'll also try the mid hump idea. Thanks.

Couldn't he just use the X-Y function, make them identical other than output. Seems simplest.
That is definitely an option. However, unless it changed since I got my Axe Fx III there is an audio gap when switching X/Y states on the Amp block.

Also, some people are using multiple amps, including X/Y for other things... So it may not be an option.

I only did it a bit, I've just recently gotten an IIXL+, but I think there was a gap in X/Y when changing amps, but not when you're changing to the same amp model but with changed parameters. Lots of option, no matter. OP got lots of suggestions, hope he posts which one worked for him.

Controller option for MID FAT on/off would be ace, heard someone say that recently. Probs not on the horizon though with Ax3, I guess support for Ax2 may be dialled down in the future?

Back
Top Bottom