What do you do to make the Axe feel fluid and as close to amp+pedals as you can get?

is there anything else you do

explore the input trim in the IO menu and how it interacts with my pickups, especially the range between all the way down and just right above there where the signal just starts to gets strong enough to be full

turn grid bias down to ~3ish

turn bias excursion time up until i feel the breakup soften and squish like the amp should, usually that's further up towards 10ms, closer to but not quite up to recovery time

plug the guitar into input 3 and bypass whatever secret sauce is doing, it's a whole different instrument back there

nudge speaker impedance down until i feel the power section scoop the way i think feels right for a given IR

bump speaker LF freq down from 110 Hz to ~90 Hz or wherever i feel like centers the low end strength and mid scoop in the right spot...

reduce LF amount and/or narrow the LF Q if the given master volume setting can't handle without getting too floppy

bring speaker HF down from ~1500 Hz to ~1200 Hz or wherever i feel like centers the top end brightness in the right spot to make the pick+speaker intimacy pop out

turn speaker HF all the way down and crank the amp treble/presence, then bring speaker HF back in just until it's the right bright, without any pain

move IR alignment to the right until i feel like there's some space in the tone for it to breathe

I do miss my pedalboard when I’m messing around trying to find interesting effect tones. It’s much tougher for me to just stumble upon interesting sounds when I’m using Fractal. Used to be I’d turn a few knobs on some Strymon, Mid-Fi, Chase Bliss, Earthquaker Devices, etc., and bam, unique and original and fun sounds for me to incorporate into songs. Often riffs/parts would be completely inspired by these somewhat accidental sounds. And for me that doesn’t really happen at all with Fractal. With Fractal it feels like you need to have the idea in mind first, then figure out how to get there. Overcoming that would be the final piece for me.
I totally get that. I've found that going through the factory presets (and their scenes) is a novel way for encountering some serendipitous moments/sounds (to me, not necessarily the preset author).

(Funny thing is that I expressed very similar sentiments to Ray Maxwell from Eventide at an AES convention in the mid-2000s in regard to the Eventide Orville -- yes, powerful machine that can replace multiple effects units, except for the discovery or creation of accidental effects that happen when working with multiple, possibly lesser, devices.)

Last edited:
I bump up the sag, run the MV a little hotter than the real thing, sometimes mess with dynamics, negative feedback, or post EQ & response curve... not really much of anything.

With the models as they have become now with the latest updates, you should get good results for recordings and the FOH right out of the box with minimal to no eq.
But if you are more about the AITR feeling, you could boost the low mids some, post amp. That is the portion of the sounds that mics like the SM57 take away. These portions of the sound miss on recordings and so they do in most of the IRs.
Though you might still want them. The dehabituation from the AITR sound takes some time.
But remember, it's not what the FOH tech wants from you, he'll be going to dial it out again.

I do miss my pedalboard when I’m messing around trying to find interesting effect tones. It’s much tougher for me to just stumble upon interesting sounds when I’m using Fractal. Used to be I’d turn a few knobs on some Strymon, Mid-Fi, Chase Bliss, Earthquaker Devices, etc., and bam, unique and original and fun sounds for me to incorporate into songs. Often riffs/parts would be completely inspired by these somewhat accidental sounds. And for me that doesn’t really happen at all with Fractal. With Fractal it feels like you need to have the idea in mind first, then figure out how to get there. Overcoming that would be the final piece for me.
I feel the same way. Pedals often have just the right amount of complexity that it's easy to work with each of them but it gets kinda daunting with the sheer amount of parameters on most Fractal fx. Pedals may have e.g. a single knob labeled modulation but Fractal has a full LFO. While the Fractal is more versatile, sometimes I just want that someone else has figured the hard bits for me and I can just turn up a good modulation sound. For example the Multitap delay became a lot more interesting for me when they added a bunch of new preset effect types that sound great right out of the box with no need to figure things out.

I would love if they made a "simplified" view similar to amp block "authentic" view with just the parameters the average user is likely to need in any given effect.

Otherwise I don't feel that I have ever needed to jump through any hoops to make Fractal sound like an amp+pedals. Plug it into a poweramp and cab without cab sims and that's pretty much what you will get. The moment people understand that cab sims through studio monitors or other FRFR systems do not sound the same as a poorly placed guitar cab on the floor, they will be happier.

I would love if they made a "simplified" view similar to amp block "authentic" view with just the parameters the average user is likely to need in any given effect.
+1, what matter to me is to have the exact same controls and knobs from the modeled unit first . I m not against extra tweaks and settings, but first give me the real deal .

@jaycal6 i m totally with you with the creative thing with pedals .with multi effect in general you don’t experiment the same way. Just an example with a delay pedal , where you can do crazy feedbacks etc . With multi effect … turning the feedback knob with your mouse 🙄.

When you have 10 pedals in a pedal board you had a lot of fun finding tones, you experiment .
I have tried some times to do crazy things with the axe, but with a mouse that’s not the same feeling . Experimenting tones in front of a computer screen is less fun than with pedals . Most of the time you find a tone and it stay like that for weeks . that’s not the case with pedals. being in front of your amp doing crazy things with your pedalboard is not a feel I have with whatever multi effect . Don’t know if is the thing with the knob or …
So don’t sold your pedals ! Own both worlds !
You can have an iPod in your car and vinyls at home .
Modern things are tools to me . The real deal is more enjoyable . You can try to simulate sex with VR or whatever technology, being in bed with your girl is another story . Simulation got his limit specially when you know the real deal, feel .
And if some guys are 100% happy no problem !
if you eat frozen vegetables everyday just try back to cook your own meal with fresh ingredients, and then you will know what we mean 😅

I never expected to say that:
In the practice room I play the FM3 through a 2x12 cabinet and it sounds better than with the tube amp. I could stay on the authentic page to get what I want, but have precise access to so many sound-shaping parameters that no tube amp offers. I have been building and modifying amps myself since the mid-90s and have always had to compromise. Now I don't have to. I'm happier with my sound than I've ever been.

Last edited:
I m talking about the user experience. Turning knobs! I never liked creating music with a computer. I program drum machine parts with external drum machine, I play the parts with my fingers, always hated midi .
Same for electronic music (I use to do some) . I always liked groove box for techno things, real synth, knobs!!! The guys doing techno with ableton and their mouse 🙄. Well .
It’s not just about sound quality and the final result . A painter like to have pencils . Drawing with a Microsoft surface you know … we all use modern tools don’t get me wrong . But cliff himself seems to enjoy playing with his amps .
You are not obliged to choose a camp . To me having the real thing and the modelers is an equilibrium so I won’t sold my tube amps and pedals, both got pro and cons

Same debate with records . Some friends come at home : wtf man, I ve sold all my records I got spotify ! Sorry . If you don’t understand the feel to put a record in a turntable, reading the lyrics with the booklet, knowing who are the band members , the year, the studio…
I think I’m old . 🤣

Attachments

• 7232EA40-6A83-4870-AADB-836FA4CB32D8.jpeg
    7232EA40-6A83-4870-AADB-836FA4CB32D8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
So what about in the future having… don’t know … 6 extra knobs in the fc12 where you can affect the controls of the pedals you want, like “speed, depth etc” for those who want to be on their knees onstage doing mad effects with the delay pedal of the unit ?
That’s an idea 👍🏻

Just assign the knobs you want to play with to the perform page. Thats why its there.

Good point. That sure counts in a gig or rehearsal situation. But that goes for almost every modeler of multi effects unit. It is hard to quickly change and experiment with settings on the spot like you do with pedals and amp. You have to pre plan everything which is not handy in an improv setting for example. Unless you have Axe Edit attached. So at home this is less an issue.

But I guess the OP is talking about the organic feel and response of a real amp and not about effects?

Same debate with records . Some friends come at home : wtf man, I ve sold all my records I got spotify ! Sorry . If you don’t understand the feel to put a record in a turntable, reading the lyrics with the booklet, knowing who are the band members , the year, the studio…
I think I’m old . 🤣
Awesome collection.
I lost near 1000 CD‘s in the flooding but I have them all as MP3 backup.
I love to read booklets etc.

Just curious really, more about everyone's strategies rather than specific features or what have you. I know about the performance pages, but is there anything else you do that sorta bridges the gap between the two worlds of multi-fx and amp+pedals??
You must have better amps and pedals than me because my FM-3 sounds better by a little bit.

So what about in the future having… don’t know … 6 extra knobs in the fc12 where you can affect the controls of the pedals you want, like “speed, depth etc” for those who want to be on their knees onstage doing mad effects with the delay pedal of the unit ?
That’s an idea 👍🏻
Your six knobs are already available. You can connect 4 expression pedals to the FC12 and two more to the Axe itself… and remain upright!

Back
Top Bottom