What do we think of the new forum format now we've used it for a while?

Roland

Experienced
Now that the novelty has worn off, and we've got used to the new format and features, what do we think?

Personally, I like the way the "new postings" search works, and doesn't assume I've read everything in my previous search. I also like the fact that it's no longer limited to 100 posts.

I miss having the new post selection bringing up all recent posts. Other then that I have kinda gotten used to the vintage format. I guess there is no limit on pm messages now?

I miss having the new post selection bringing up all recent posts. Other then that I have kinda gotten used to the vintage format. I guess there is no limit on pm messages now?

I never used that function but how was it different than the new post tab at the top right of the forum page?

I am new here, so I do not know, the ok forum, but this is the best forum platform, I have ever been involved with. It works beautifully.

It's OK, but I'm using Firefox and miss the Soundcloud controls... that were present with the old format. Also, using the same screen resolution, the text of the new format seems large, and the one menu bar doesn't stay docked when scrolling. Other than that, I think it's nice.

I'm using the "forum vintage" setting, which can be accessed at the bottom left of the page, and I like it a lot better than the default setting.

I was incredibly sceptical as I've used Tapatalk for a very long time for all the forums I visit. I do accept that the new software provides a really good mobile platform for accessing the forum. If this was here in the first place I wouldn't have needed Tapatalk as I wouldn't have hunted for an alternative for mobile access.

I miss having everything in one app but do respect the rationale behind removing the functionality. If only the other sites I visit had such a mobile friendly experience.

Agreed, I like the mobile experience of this forum better than tapatalk, and I am a heavy tapatalk user

Only thing I miss is the ability to collapse sections I don't care about. The default theme has the ability, but the "Forum Vintage" theme doesn't.

Everything else...I can get used to.

As a former Tapatalk user, I love it. The mobile theme is easy to read. I wish some of the other forums I visit would adopt this platform.

I've been pretty happy with it. I do miss the ability to create folders for storing threads that I am following or subscribed to. I used to sort threads by subject matter (Axe Edit; Amps; Firmware Updates; etc...). It made it easier to find content when I wanted to revisit something.

I like the new environment. It's fast for me and the mobile version is better than Tapatalk. The only thing I miss that I used to get notifications if someone posted to the forum, I liked that. I don't miss it that much though.

I like the new environment. It's fast for me and the mobile version is better than Tapatalk. The only thing I miss that I used to get notifications if someone posted to the forum, I liked that. I don't miss it that much though.
Scott are you "watching" any forums? You should be able to get email notifications for new posts or threads if you watch the entire forum. Unfortunately, you have to setup watch preferences for every forum. There's no site-wide "watch all the things" setting.

If you are watching forums and experiencing issues getting emails, contact me directly. I want to debug this with you. I'm actively talking to the Xenforo guys about the watch feature right now because I'm not convinced it's functioning 100% correctly.

Scott are you "watching" any forums? You should be able to get email notifications for new posts or threads if you watch the entire forum. Unfortunately, you have to setup watch preferences for every forum. There's no site-wide "watch all the things" setting.

If you are watching forums and experiencing issues getting emails, contact me directly. I want to debug this with you. I'm actively talking to the Xenforo guys about the watch feature right now because I'm not convinced it's functioning 100% correctly.

Hmm, no I haven't set that up. You know I knew it was most likely possible and I knew that you would chime in showing me how...;-) let me figure that out real quick. Thanks Ian, it's people like you that make this place home.

Overall a big improvement, in my opinion.

While I definitely don't miss the super slow page loads of the old forum I really miss being able to change the posts per page to 60 or 80, or whatever it was.

Back
Top Bottom