What do people do with firmware updates?

damo_512

Obviously you would update the firmware through fractal bot, but what does everyone do with presets?

Do people update and that's it, or how do you go about updating factory presets but keeping your own presets?

I've usually only updated it with fractal bot so I'd like to hear what everyone else is doing with their magical blackbox :)

When I update, I always make a "Ctl+I" on each amp, in each preset, according to my most used preset at the time.
Globaly I use very few adv. params.

I just update and that's it. My presets rarely ever have to mess with my presets. The only time I've had to tweak a preset after updating was around when the Quantum update first came out. Unless it's a significant update, I never have to do anything.

Pretty much like @AlGrenadine + @zecure ... only AL and I get to do this far more frequently than most with Beta firmware releases..
I only reset presets if the firmware requires it - but I always make FULL backups (Presets + Cabs) before each new firmware install (beta or not).
Factory presets are not refreshed with every firmware, so I refresh those with each new release.

I back my personal presets up, into a folder along with the FW they were last used with. That way I I need them, cos the new FW totally screwed up my patches and I dont have time to "mend" them before I need to use them, I can reload them along with the FW they worked on. That has actually never been required, since AFX Standard FW 5.0.

I then update the FW to the new version (saving the FW in its own folder - for presets to be saved to later when updating again).

Play, and tweek as and when necessary - which isnt normally the case for me. I have to say - those who say the "just did a FW update and my presets are ruined/useless must have a MUCH better ear than me. I cant tell much difference usually, and if I can its generally subtle. For major modelling updates, there may be some Tuning needed but its not normally massive.

I backup any presets made or updated on the FW in use before updating.

When you've put a lot of time into a preset and used it for recording it's nice to always be able to go back to it "as you left it"

Backup. Update. Evaluate changes. Tweak only as needed. It is pretty trivial for most updates. Many times stuff just gets 'even better' with no effort.

^ Exactly this ^ ... backup because, well, backup. Load new FW. Go play.

I've never had to go back to an earlier FW or backup presets, and rarely have to tweak.

Update and thats it. I notice very little change if any at all in FW updates. I bought my II around FW 18

Update and go, adjust anything that doesn't sound right. Often, there is nothing needed but any fixes are quick and easy.

Minor updates I ignore unless there are changes in an area I use extensively, or want to improve. For significant updates the process is:
Wait until I've got time between gigs to experiment,
Backup,
Evaluate and then
Modify. Sometimes it's minor EQ changes. Occasionally a new amp model grabs my attention and I rebuild.

For right now, I generally just ignore them. I do read the release notes to see if they add anything of interest to me, or resolve any serious issues. Both of my bands are busy enough that I don't often have enough time to sit down after each minor update to see if there's any changes. As a bassist, too, there's rarely anything at all included that is directed to me or my use case, so that makes skipping firmware updates even easier. I actually don't even know for certain which firmware version I'm on right now... I think Q3.01.

If I keep picking up the skinny stringed instrument, I may update more frequently. I enjoy noodling around at home and doing some writing and scratch tracks with guitar sometimes (especially if a piano isn't convenient), so messing around with new amps can be fun.

My OCD requires that I reset each of my 20 or so gig presets by cycling the amp block amp selection. Sometimes I hear a difference, sometimes not. On my acoustic sim, I haven't liked any of the FW updates after cycling so I've left it unchanged.

Same as many have already stated - backup, load FW, test. Rarely do I need to tweak a preset after an update unless the release notes state to deselect / reselect an amp.

Back
Top Bottom