What do I gas for now?

What are you playing your Axe through? You might treat yourself to some nice FRFR wedges.
I actually bought two Yamaha DXR10s for use with my old setup (using a Laney Lionheart, Suhr Reactive Load and a Torpedo CAB), just a fortnight ago. I had a feeing I'd make the switch and knew they'd work just as well with the Axe FX too. So I'm very happy, as you can imagine!

I think you guys are right, it's got to be guitar GAS from now on...just the way it should be! :)

I reckon my next guitar will be a Suhr, but I'm not sure (there's a pun in there, 'SUHRely') if I want a Classic Pro or a Modern Pro. Ideally the next one will have a single coil in the neck and a HB in the bridge, so I'm not sure.

I actually bought two Yamaha DXR10s for use with my old setup (using a Laney Lionheart, Suhr Reactive Load and a Torpedo CAB), just a fortnight ago. I had a feeing I'd make the switch and knew they'd work just as well with the Axe FX too. So I'm very happy, as you can imagine!

I think you guys are right, it's got to be guitar GAS from now on...just the way it should be! :)

I reckon my next guitar will be a Suhr, but I'm not sure (there's a pun in there, 'SUHRely') if I want a Classic Pro or a Modern Pro. Ideally the next one will have a single coil in the neck and a HB in the bridge, so I'm not sure.

Haha!!!

The argument that an Axe-FX is sufficient to solve all signal processing needs strikes me as inherently ridiculous. There are numerous products that are much better for specific niches, and if one needs them, he or she should act accordingly and buy. Diverting GAS into guitars is the biggest waste of money that I can imagine, one needs no more than a handful of guitars [for musical reasons], and any extra energy should be steered into the only thing that ultimately matters, and that's regimented practice. Am I wrong?! (This seems so obvious.)
What niches are you referring to? I'm interested. I can't think of anything else I need now I have the Axe FX, genuinely. I'm not going to go out and buy 5 guitars...it'll take a while to save for one Suhr. Hell, maybe I'll properly "save" now instead of that pretend saving that I lie to myself about!

Practice makes perfect though, you're right there. Time and efforts need focussing on that, and I always intend on doing that when possible.

...Am I wrong?!...

For you, no. For others, yes, you quite possibly are wrong. For example, I have no current desires for signal processing options beyond what the AFX offers me. On the other hand, I can't seem to get my fill of MIM Strats. Other people would think buying lots of cheap guitars is ridiculous as opposed to buying one or two good ones. I like to find good-playing, resonant MIM Strats on the used market (in a color I don't already have), and then drop good electronics in them. I'd be gutted to take a $3000 guitar to a gig and get it dinged by a cymbal falling over or something. But if it happens to a $300 MexiStrat, I'll get over it. But that's just me. I also have a weakness for PRS SEs. I have a few of those, too.

And FWIW, my regimented practice days were about 40 years ago. I've done a lot of it. But now I just play, have fun, hopefully make people smile, and try not to take any of it too seriously.

At first I thought it was too bright but then I realized the trick with them is to use the tone control rather than just turning it all the way up like you normally would.
The tone knob is the most neglected thing in the guitar world. People forget it's there. But it can turn an ice pick into a velvet caress.

Other people would think buying lots of cheap guitars is ridiculous as opposed to buying one or two good ones. I like to find good-playing, resonant MIM Strats on the used market (in a color I don't already have), and then drop good electronics in them.
There are absolutely fantastic guitars that can be had for cheap. Once you get over the need to have the "legendary" name or the "right" headstock, and start asking your hands/ears/eyes to evaluate the guitar instead, a whole world of opportunity opens up in front of you.

Guitar parts, as I prefer to build them myself these days, and all the support infrastructure you need to perform a gig. Ranging from mics, cables, PA system and lighting.

Guitars, power amps, cabinets. High end monitors, control surfaces, audio interfaces. A purpose built room. Or, alternatively, a couple of Midas consoles for gigging.

Also note that there are companies that make equipment with the sole purpose of being GASed for. Eventide H9000?

The world is full of things you don’t need, all you have to do is look around!

Reactions: Rex
There are absolutely fantastic guitars that can be had for cheap. Once you get over the need to have the "legendary" name or the "right" headstock, and start asking your hands/ears/eyes to evaluate the guitar instead, a whole world of opportunity opens up in front of you.

Absolutely. For the longest time, I was the guy you described (although mainly for resale value in case I didn't bond with it, or pure spec). Then a couple of years ago I was in a store killing time while a buddy of mine was shopping and happened to pick up one of the Vietnamese ESP Strats.
It was used and pretty beat...but it had a vibe, and rang out as well or better than any of the high end Strats I have had. It was $180. threw in some Fralins, roller nut, Super-Vee bridge, locking Sperzels and cleaned up the frets ...Now its my go to Strat for gigs.

Checked out a band of older dudes who were killing some Zeppelin, Cream etc. sounded great. Talked to them between set's and the whole band was playing Chibsons. And they played better than many Gibson's I have played.

I still Gas for the right Standberg or SC594. But it's kind of fun to franenstien these cheaper guitars into what you want.

Zero Gas Amp/pedal wise since Fractal.

Yep, I'm convinced GAS is incurable. Thought it was cured with the FX8 and AX8, hadn't Jones'd for a pedal in over 2 years. Caught myself researching boutique picks last week. BOOTEEK PICKS! Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom