What difference in tone can I expect?

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
What difference in tone can I expect, going from the AX8 to a new Axe Fx III?
Or what other big differences have you observed if any?
Plan to use with FC-6.
Thanks

Are you kidding
Your talking about a $1500-2250 price and quality difference besides capability
Axe 3 sounds amazing
If your thinking of an ax8 used get a used kemper instead if you can’t afford the price

I have both. AF3 has a 111.2% improvement in tone/feel, 2.5 higher price, and over 2x more blocks/channels. Oh, and it is bulkier and heavier.

Last edited:
My Axe Fx III just came in last friday (woohoo!!!).

With my AX8 on Quantum 10.01 and the Fx III on Ares 11.01 I can tell there's a difference, definitely, but it's not 'abysmal' as some may think... after all it's not like back in the day when the original Axe Fx came in and kicked the POD to the mud in shame. Here you're talking about 2 products sharing the same core philosophy in modeling.

I've copied the settings from one preset, from the AX8 straight into the III (Same amp and 'legacy' cab) and the basic DNA is there, both are on the same ballpark. In a live setting, having one guitarist use the AX8 and the other use the III I bet more than one person will have problems telling one from the other.

Now, recording both... I can tell the III is definitely beefier and more '3D' sounding. Gels better in the overall mix... I'm really stoked and psyched to dive deeper into the ARES ecosystem. If you want to take the leap, I'd say DO A BACKFLIP. :cool:

Once again, having the III with me makes me more EAGER to try ARES once Cliff unleashes that sweet baby for the AX8 and compare it to the Fx III, but man, the AX8 on Quantum 10.01 can hold it's own against the Big Boy. ;)

Just my two cents...

I own both the Ax8 and the Axe FX III, both sound great! I would give the edge to the Axe FX iii as it’s just that slight bit easier to get great tone from it.
I’ve heard the kemper and the Ax8 side by side and honestly I was happy to be an Ax8 owner!
The only reason I am gigging my Axe FX iii instead of my Ax8 is because it is powerful enough that I can use a kitchen sink preset to cover everything I was doing with preset per song on the Ax8.

I had an AX8 with firmware 10.01 and was completely happy with the tones I was getting from it. I wasn't looking for anything better tonally, the factors that led me to buy an Axe III were the new reverb algorithms, revamped cab block and the Plex Delay block.

The tone was not "stop the presses" different but I immediately liked what I was hearing from the Axe III more than the AX8. Tonally, the Axe III seemed to have a more glassy high end and tighter lows. The biggest difference to me, however, was the response. I planned on keeping the AX8 for a more portable solution but the difference I experienced was enough for me to use the Axe III exclusively. I will be getting an FM3 for a more portable solution and backup.

Over the last few months with the III, IMO, firmware versions 7-10 incrementally widened the gap in tone while firmware 11added more dimension to the tone. I no longer have the AX8 so I cannot objectively describe the difference. I know these are all subjective descriptors but there really is a difference, one that I've found to be well worth it, add the power of the FC-6 and it's a no-brainer. I don't miss the AX8 one bit.

I got my AX8 about 3-4 years ago new from Fractal $1099.
That’s a different story
Buying it brand new 4 years ago from FAS is totally worth; I thought you meant (in light of the axe3/fm3) you expected or wanted it for more or whatever

, [and if reselling I gotta say, it’s only worth about $500-800 MAX on the used market , obviously lower price for poor condition and severe usage , $800 for mint /new condition .... otherwise get a used kemper or something if you pay over $900]

My Axe Fx III just came in last friday (woohoo!!!).

With my AX8 on Quantum 10.01 and the Fx III on Ares 11.01 I can tell there's a difference, definitely, but it's not 'abysmal' as some may think... after all it's not like back in the day when the original Axe Fx came in and kicked the POD to the mud in shame. Here you're talking about 2 products sharing the same core philosophy in modeling.

I've copied the settings from one preset, from the AX8 straight into the III (Same amp and 'legacy' cab) and the basic DNA is there, both are on the same ballpark. In a live setting, having one guitarist use the AX8 and the other use the III I bet more than one person will have problems telling one from the other.

Now, recording both... I can tell the III is definitely beefier and more '3D' sounding. Gels better in the overall mix... I'm really stoked and psyched to dive deeper into the ARES ecosystem. If you want to take the leap, I'd say DO A BACKFLIP. :cool:

Once again, having the III with me makes me more EAGER to try ARES once Cliff unleashes that sweet baby for the AX8 and compare it to the Fx III, but man, the AX8 on Quantum 10.01 can hold it's own against the Big Boy. ;)

Just my two cents...
Congrats man, I thought you were wiring for the FM3 .......I know you won’t regret it
merry Christmas and enjoy

PS I know you love your ax8, but the kemper can hold its own too......still, nothing comes close to axe 3, that’s my $0.03 ;)

I got on the FM3 wait list hours after it opened.
Decided to purchase the III and an FC-6, to arrive tomorrow! 💥
You just jumped to the top of my “favorite moves” of 2019....not just for FAS members, but just in life....GREAT CHOICE

Now.....will you be getting the Adam A7 (best studio monitors you can get under $5k besides genelic) OR will you be going single/active wedge ala Neo CLR?

Back
Top Bottom