What did you rely on before the Axe-Fx

Vetta II
Pod XT
'81 Kustom Charger (bass amp)
Boss MT2
Crate GX130C

Basically shit, but hell I gigged with that shit for years!

Used a ridiculously big pedalboard consisting of:
Boss GT3 - just for delays/chorus/verb etc
Drives were: Blackstar ht dual, Blackstar ht dist, Barber ltd and TC Nova drive
All midi linked via axxess electronics looper. Also had a boss line switcher on there and a Morley bad horse wah.
All this plugged into the clean channel of a Laney TT100 head.

It actually worked really well but I was always concerned about reliability with all the patch leads required etc... Plus that pedalboard was SO HEAVY !!

Happy days with the Axe 2 and Matrix GT1000

I'm about to get my Axe/CLR but the current rig I'm selling is:
Rivera Jake+Ext Cab and TC G System

Before that it was the H&K ZenTera
And before that was my first basic Crate practice Amp

I still have the HD 500 that I use as a pedalboard and as a backup. When the MFCs come out, I'll have to decide whether to keep the HD for a backup or buy a 2nd Axe. I use the HD for band practice and it is SUCH a tone letdown. I'd probably put a paper bag over my head if I ever had to use it at a gig again. It's not that it is a bad piece of gear, but it just doesn't compare to the Axe and it is not inspiring to play for me.

I had an HD500 as well, tried using it as a controller with the Axe but it's so much better integrated with Line 6 stuff. I considered other controllers as well, just because the MFC wasn't in stock. But I held out for it and the integration between the MFC and Axe is well worth it!

ADA MP1 New (long time love me) sold it to a friend STILL WORKS!!

Around the time these were out I was using a Rockman XPR rack mount preamp direct to the board. Back in the day I thought it was the SH**. Like looking back at photos of 80's hair and spandex, wouldn't wanna go back there!

Guitar Rig 5/Impulse Responses, Pod 2.0(ugh, stopped using that once I started using Guitar Rig). Then I ran into the CPU issue by having to many instances of Guitar Rig at once. Decided to finally splurge on a nice piece of gear and got the AFXII. Haven't looked back since.

I use Guitar Rig at home, great effects. Tried using it live a few times with a macbook pro but the gigs were at the beach in AC NJ. laptop couldn't take the heat, too many issues.

Peavey 5150 & Marshall 1960AB cab. That is all. Got rid of it after I got the Axe FX 2.

Went from the worlds least versatile rig to the worlds most versatile & never looked back!

Have used everything there is, almost. Old and new Marshalls and Fenders, Bogners, Riveras, Vox, Matchless, CAA, VHT, Blankenship, Bruno... I really bought more amps than guitars prior to the Axe-FX, which cured that hunger. Since 09, I've relied on the Axe both live and in the studio, usually FRFR, but occasionally with a power amp + cab. I kept my Shiva, Bruno Underground, Blankenship Variplex, Vox AC 15 and my trusted and modded JCM 2000 DSL, plus all my pedals, but it mostly sits in the closet, even when I have the opportunity to record with good microphones etc. Will likely sell most of the amps and keep a couple, but I'm pretty sure the Axe will be used the most in the years ahead.

My amp list isnt too bad - I think.

Korg AX1000 (I think)
Laney VH100r
Marshall 30th Aniversary head + 4x12
Marshall JPM1/JFX1/9100
Marshall 30th Aniversary 1x12 Combo
Rocktron Voodoo Valve/Intelliflex + Mesa 2:90
Mesa DC5 combo
Mesa Heartbreaker head
Line 6 Flextone 1
Line 6 AX212
Marshall TSL 2x12 combo
VHT Pitbull 45 2x10 combo
Bognor XTC classic
Deizel Einstein 50 head
VHT 50ST head and 2x12 cab
AFX Standard + VHT 2:50:2
AFX2 + Matrix GT800/GT1000

AFX2 + Matrix GT800/GT1000

Paul, as a person knowing both the Matrix GT800 and 1000, I'd like to ask you a quick question. I'm using a GT800 unbrigded in mono, one channel, and need a bit more headroom (starting to hit the ceiling live). Do you reckon the GT800 in bridged mode will significantly improve the headroom (I'm not _that_ loud live) or are there in your opinion significant benefits from upgrading to the GT1000?

Off-topic, sorry.

I had a rack system in the early 90's that included an ADA mp-1 pre-amp for tones and a Roland GP16 for effects. I had other crap in the rig too but I can't recall all of it. Sold the whole beast to go back to a smaller amp/cab/pedals rig. Used that for quite awhile but switched out amps a few times. At some point I have owned and used a Boss GT-5 and a Boss GT-10 eventually selling both. I still have a PV 5150 that has been modded both by Jerry at FJA and John Nau. I also have a Marshall DLS2000 50w and an older Peavey Supreme.

Main stays for years have been a '64 Super Reverb and '66 Princeton Reverb, BF and SF Vibro Champs.
Top Hat Club Royal 2x12 (early model, not sure of year off hand) that I've still got.

Come and gone in no order: 80's Carvin Head and 4x12 (early days in jr. high and early high school), Germino Massonette and Lead 55, '68 & 71 Marshall Super Leads, '70(?) Marshall Major, Dr. Z Rt. 66, THD Flexi, Marshall 2203 (vertical inputs), Victoria Deluxe, BF Fender Deluxe Reverb... few more I can't remember off hand. Various cabs...

Lots of pedals and some rack gear.. still have a lot of pedals. I do use the Axe most of the time now, not currently gigging.

Last edited:
My rig beforehand was:

Mesa studio pre
20:20 mesa power amp
GMajor2.
Marshall MF 280 cab

I recorded through a Marshall SE 100. I still own it because, you never know, and it's the best cab sim/line out I've owned and it's not expensive so nothing to gain by selling it. The cab I still have "if ever I need it".
All the rest is gone, more for reasons of limited storage capacity than anything else.

This was my last rig, 22 space rack, prior to the Axe Fx. It also had rear rails and about 8 spaces of stuff back there, mainly power distributors and audio splitters. Believe it or not, this was my scaled down rig after tiring of moving that rack, another 12 space, four heads I reduced down to line level and three 4x12s for the wet/dry/wet setup.

MyRig_zps27859b6f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom