What Did You Have To Do For Your First Guitar?

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
Love the nostalgia threads. Really got me reminiscing about the heady days of my youth. That got me thinking about what I went through to get my first real guitar.

I started playing on a POS garage sale acoustic with a hole in the sound board. I was already hooked on guitar after playing trumpet and piano for a little while. I went downtown and stopped by the local music store (Bandstand Music in Westfield NJ). There, hanging in the window was a bright red Hagstrom electric guitar (pictured in the "First Guitar and Amp" thread). Once I saw that, I was smitten. Had to get it. Problem was the usual, no money. I went to my parents and asked (begged) but my dad was like a stone wall. He agreed to pay for half of it, but not a cent more. So, I needed a job. My "half" of the guitar was $60.

I found a job at the local YMCA. I was the custodian's helper. For those of you who understand corporate hierarchy, is there ANY position lower than the custodian's helper? Answer is NO. Who gets to rake leaves and shovel snow in the bone chilling NJ wind, the custodian or the custodian's helper? Who gets to clean the bathroom after some guy ate too many Clark Bars and played too much basketball, the custodian or the custodian's helper? My first "project" was to clean the boiler room. No person had cleaned the boiler room since Gettysburg. Took several days just to organize the stacks of Playboy magazines. You get the idea. I was paid 0.25 cents per hour. Yep. Four hours work to earn 1 dollar. Probably explains why I have so little sympathy for the people that whine about their minimum wage.

But I digress. You would think that trying to earn the first $10 would be discouraging, but you would be wrong. The first $10 was a walk in the park. It's the last $10 that was nerve wracking. It got so bad that I did not even want to go downtown because I just knew my prize Hagstrom would be gone. Still my father was steadfast insisting that I earn my half before we got the guitar. So I kept working. Yes, I finally had the entire amount, so my dad took me to the Bandstand, and there it was, still hanging in the window. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, she was mine.

There is an even better end to my tale. I was well into my 30's when while visiting my folks, my dad confessed that he had actually bought the guitar and asked the Bandstand owner to just keep the guitar hanging in the window. In his words, "I thought it would be good for you". I buried my dad in 1994. The world needs more men like him. He was 100% right. it was good for me.

I had to french kiss a spider monkey whilst giving a reach around to a tall french man who had a thing for leather.

No but seriously. I got mine on the never never.

I did nothing for my first guitar. A local music store that also offered lessons was slowly ripping us off with upgrades to a crappy $20 beginner guitar. First the tuners needed to be upgraded then the switches fixed. Shortly after Lado Music Co. opened his first store in Toronto, he built custom guitars but at first selling Japan copies of Strats, SGs and buying and selling used guitars and doing expert repairs got his business going.
I seen that Pan SG and was just mesmerized. $150. I was 11 and that was out of the question, I just hanged around his store so much he eventually put a broom in my hand and told me to work if I was going to hang around, he paid me $10 /day in 1973 plus bought my lunch. He sold me the SG for $125 and after a few weeks I became more infatuated with the Pan Stratocaster, he allowed me to trade it in as long as it was as new.

My friends my age didn't have jobs and my dad didn't think I needed a job either at such an early age. It all just happened because I loved all things guitar and I enjoyed hanging out in music stores. I met many rock stars that mostly back then came to Joe for his expertise on repairs and restorations of fine guitars. Artists like Rik Emmett, Alex Lifeson, later in years Joe (Lado) made custom guitars for many Canadian musicians and Worldwide players like Iron Maiden. I was his first unofficial employee and worked for him on/off for decades.

I am one of those unfortunate people with a birthday right before Christmas, so it was always "this is for your birthday and Christmas". My first cheapie guitar and amp were used, and my parents had me doing lots of chores to earn it for 14th Birthday/Christmas. Then by 16 I had fallen for a used Charvel Model 6, and that was chores AND Birthday AND Christmas AND trade in my old guitar AND get a job to pay for the rest. So I got a job bagging groceries after school and hung my old guitar up in the window on consignment. Then someone ram-raided the music store ands drove a truck over my old Ibanez, so the shop's insurance covered it.

Man I loved that guitar. Blue Charvel Model 6 with Ultrasonic Pickups and an active preamp and a Kahler trem.

It looked a lot like this one:
19558_Used_Charvel_Blue_C608431_a.jpg

I was 17 living with my uncle n Aunty on a diary farm they were share-milking.
They and their neighbours both went away on holiday for a week?
I looked after both farms for a week for enough to put a deposit on a sexy black double locking S/H reverse headstock charvel..didn't even come with a case!
The rest I paid off. I then went back and wired my lead into the stylus of the milk shed stereo and made some noise :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I gave a local kid $15 so that he could probably buy a bag of weed. I am pretty sure that I got ripped off. Biggest piece of crap ever made....I mean it didn't even have a name on it. I mean how bad of a job do you have to do that you don't even put your brand on it? :)

I gave a local kid $15 so that he could probably buy a bag of weed. I am pretty sure that I got ripped off. Biggest piece of crap ever made....I mean it didn't even have a name on it. I mean how bad of a job do you have to do that you don't even put your brand on it? :)

Eh, I have a handmade flamenco guitar that was purchased in the 70's from a little shop in La Jolla, CA. No name on it at all, but it sounds absolutely gorgeous. Lucky me, I guess :)

I think I demolished an old shed in the back yard of my dad's work for pocket money. The highlight being that moment when it started to collapse on its own with me still standing on the apex of the roof. (Didn't die)

I begged my parents when I was 12 for an acoustic and they got me an Epiphone PR-350 at the local Guitar Center for like $50 for my birthday. Still have that guitar and play it to this day. It's been 1000 ft deep with me.

I wanted my first guitar immediately after my parents divorce. Needless to say there was no money to spend.

I was an avid video game player at that time and decided to make the ultimate sacrifice. I sold my Nintendo, supernintendo, ,sega game gear and all the games slowly to all of my friends at school until I had the money for the guitar and subsequently an amp as well.

I had to choose and I did. I chose guitar.

I can still remember the excitement walking down to broad street to the pawn shop to get the guitar. The weight in my hand as I walked back up the hill. Staring at it in its case as I couldn't actually play guitar yet.

Mowed lawns ($15/acre) and watched the neighbor kids for $1/hr. Good money for a teen back then. The local music store was closing and had discounted all their guitars. My friend was going to buy one. Would I like to go along? Came home with a Hondo 2 Professional (I think that's what it was called) LP copy. My mom thought it was a tool of the devil and didn't want it in their house! Needless to say I played it mostly at the neighbors house for the first year or so.

Yeah, I didn't have an amp for mine, but I had a boom box with RCA inputs and made a cable to hook it up. Not sure what type of jacks they were supposed to be (mic, line, turntable), but cranked up it would distort a bit. If I jammed the source switch in the middle I could play along with a tape.

I was very fortunate to have a dad who loved music. He played clarinet in the Duke University Orchestra. He was first chair. Les Brown was second chair.

I played piano as a child, trombone in high school, and my parents gave me $140.00 for my 18th birthday to buy a guitar in 1966. I bought a Guild F-30 I still play.

Bought at B Sharp Music in Minneapolis.

Attachments

• P1040402.jpg
    P1040402.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
I had to bitch and whine to my dad (a folksinger who played with Seeger, Guthrie, and Leadbelly way back when) to get my first acoustic, about age 8, which I promptly ignored because I found it too hard (i.e. I was lazy and undisciplined).

Can't say exactly what I did to afford that first Hagstrom electric, which I bought off my brother, but let's just say it involved brokering interpersonal commerce of an herbal preparation that has recently received a lot of attention in Colorado.

I was 8 years old back in 66 when a friend of my cousin gave me a strat (style) guitar, can’t remember if it was the real thing or not. Also don’t know if he was just being nice or if he just wanted to impress my cousin, female, 24 and just about as hot as they get, I do remember that much. Yeah.. that was a jaw dropping moment!
It sure was always nice riding in the wind shadow of my 10 top cousin, a lot of good things came my way because of her. Unfortunatly she died a very young death... supra special person...thanks for everything Donna.

Back
Top Bottom