What DAW should I get?

Cubase 6 with Reason 7 in Rewire mode. Just used to it now. I love reason for soft synths, samplers, drum machines, but not so much for audio editing.

I went back & forth between Cubase and Pro Tools for a while. But for some odd reason, I began to find Avid (ProTools) irksome, so now Cubase. I'll probably upgrade to 9, in spite of the 'old code', just cause I don't want to learn a new platform.

Cubase because I've been using it for years and know my way around it. I think the main thing with a DAW is knowing how to use it, shortcuts, how to configure it etc... Most of the available DAWS have mostly similar features if you know what you're doing.

started out with a free cubase version that came with a M-Audio delta1010 PCI card years ago. Then tried fruity loops as I got into doing my own midi drums. Then Reaper as I got more into the production end and looking to surpase the limitations of free trials. After a year with reaper, I did a lot of researching, so it came down to protools or Albeton.... protools was too much of a headache, so I'm all in with Ableton, which interfaces well with everything over USB to windows machines and pretty much does it all.

What do you like more about Ableton over Reaper? I've been using Reaper for a couple years now and have never tried Ableton.

Interesting...some of my other solo act friends of a certain age also rely on Performer for their live rig needs....
Maybe only old dudes use it live - LOL. It is a one-stop shop. I can do all production at home, the midi implementation is smokin, and its killer live. You can put all productions into a "chunks" list and cue/trigger any song at random with any midi command instantly. I remember logic had a "live" mode, but it would have to close a project and then open up the next.
I've thought about doing ableton-only live for same "list" function. I built a looper-to-rule-all-loopers template for it, but not sure if I can run show plus that in a single template.

What do you like more about Ableton over Reaper? I've been using Reaper for a couple years now and have never tried Ableton.
When I was making my choice, Reaper was still pretty new, this was 2007. For me, I decided to make a choice and stick with it and learn it inside out. I am satisfied with Ableton Live and everything it provides.

I should go take a gander where it's (Reaper) at now hmmm.....

so Ithought I'd revive this thread, cuz yesterday, After decades of Mac-only DAW use..(all the way back to Opcode Vision)..most of it with Logic..I scored my first loaded PC Tower ever..sick of waiting for Apple to actually cough up their promised modular new non trash can Mac Pro. ..and wanted to get into some VR and PC gaming, with the side benefit of dipping into the PC music creation ecosystem. it's got Thunderbolt 3 so I can use my Apollo interface and UAD satellite, and so far , plays nice with FAS software....My choices under consideration are Studio One Live , Reaper, DP , maybe even Reason, and one that has not yet been mentioned in this thread which seems very interesting..Bitwig Studio2. https://www.bitwig.com/en/home.html .the newest of the list, created by former Ableton crew..has anyone used this one yet.?..it seems to be the most forward looking..but I am looking for something with the best cross-platform compatibility and ease of use for a longtime logic guy who never dug that deep (what environment??...)...as I write this this my unplugged IMac 5k stares at me with recrimination, but I'm determined to give this a go...with the ultimate goal of hooking them all up together in a frankenstienian monstrosity.

Well, I've been a long time Tracktion user starting with v3 and moved to Reaper lately. I love the Tracktion workflow, only v6 appears very unstable to me. Haven't upgraded to v7.

FWIW, I recommend against Logic. Its workflow is awkward (ironically, ilLogical) and unlike that of many others DAWs.

Logic X made great strides in usability. I admit Logic 9 was a bit wonky. There are still some annoyances with Logic X. The workflow, at least in earlier versions, was very unintuitive and un-Apple like.

For $200, if you have a Mac it's pretty much a no-brainer. At that price, Apple's really giving it away.

I'm using Studio One 3.5 now, and I love it, but that's the full version. Not sure how the Live is. The only other one in your list that I have tried is Reaper and I like it pretty well too, so I would recommend that one fairly high. I just prefer Studio One for the workflow and the new feature that allows for input monitoring as you record new tracks while playback tracks have dropout protection enabled. Essentially you can have your ASIO buffers set very low for real-time monitoring as you record with effects or soft synths, and the playback of already recorded tracks play back with higher buffer settings so that they don't have pops and glitches. Everything syncs up fine on the newly recorded tracks.

so Ithought I'd revive this thread, cuz yesterday, After decades of Mac-only DAW use..(all the way back to Opcode Vision)..most of it with Logic..I scored my first loaded PC Tower ever..sick of waiting for Apple to actually cough up their promised modular new non trash can Mac Pro. ..and wanted to get into some VR and PC gaming, with the side benefit of dipping into the PC music creation ecosystem. it's got Thunderbolt 3 so I can use my Apollo interface and UAD satellite, and so far , plays nice with FAS software....My choices under consideration are Studio One Live , Reaper, DP , maybe even Reason, and one that has not yet been mentioned in this thread which seems very interesting..Bitwig Studio2. https://www.bitwig.com/en/home.html .the newest of the list, created by former Ableton crew..has anyone used this one yet.?..it seems to be the most forward looking..but I am looking for something with the best cross-platform compatibility and ease of use for a longtime logic guy who never dug that deep (what environment??...)...as I write this this my unplugged IMac 5k stares at me with recrimination, but I'm determined to give this a go...with the ultimate goal of hooking them all up together in a frankenstienian monstrosity.

.......so.....after a sobering all day session trying to get all my gear running on my new Windows tower, I was reminded why I have stuck with Mac for my music making for all these years...things still don't 'just work' no matter how sophisticated the hardware , as they do in the mac ecosystem..for the moment , I have decided to relegate the tower to the purpose I really got it for, VR and gaming. And Macs are back as the hub of my studio..but I did discover a new crOss platform DAW that may prove awesome...as the owner of a Linnstrument , the cutting edge MPE MIDI controller invented by the creator of the Linn Drum , I had a license for the Bitwig Studio in my possession...and it may be the the answer I've been looking for. ..super easy to configure..and with much of the functionalities of Ableton live and certainly the newest and most futureproof I've seen. Check out the demo at the link above.

.......so.....after a sobering all day session trying to get all my gear running on my new Windows tower, I was reminded why I have stuck with Mac for my music making for all these years...things still don't 'just work' no matter how sophisticated the hardware , as they do in the mac ecosystem..for the moment , I have decided to relegate the tower to the purpose I really got it for, VR and gaming. And Macs are back as the hub of my studio..but I did discover a new crOss platform DAW that may prove awesome...as the owner of a Linnstrument , the cutting edge MPE MIDI controller invented by the creator of the Linn Drum , I had a license for the Bitwig Studio in my possession...and it may be the the answer I've been looking for. ..super easy to configure..and with much of the functionalities of Ableton live and certainly the newest and most futureproof I've seen. Check out the demo at the link above.

Yeah..not to turn this into a Mac vs PC debate, but after having been a PC guy from sometime in the mid 90's through to about 5 years ago (when none of the PC laptops available had a firewire chipset compatible with my RME sound card) i very begrudgingly bought a Macbook Pro.
And what a blessed relief that has turned out to be.
Very happy to not have to spending large amounts of time "under the hood" trying to get stuff to work etc.
But anyway, DAWs
I use Logic these days, mainly as it's native on Mac etc. Works fine.
Bitwig...checked it when it first came out and looks pretty cool, haven't got the urge to go on yet another "learning curve" at the moment.
The three pieces of software that i miss from PC days:
Acid, what a fantastic programme that is.
Wavelab, don't have the Mac version, run my old stripped down version of XP on Virtual Box to still use it every now and then, fantastically appointed and intuitive audio editor.
AND..every now and then i have to fire up CDXtract (via Virtual Box) to convert something..
But if you're starting from scratch, Bitwig does look interesting...

ProTools user for over a decade but converted into Studio One Professional 2 years ago and I'm not going back.

Logic
...I took the time to understand it and once you do you can set up
in a simple, brain dead workflow. The core of logic is professional.

Having said this I started on Logic 4.8 something...very German way of thinking app.
Non-intuitive..but powerful...so when Apple took over they did a decent job of cleaning it up.
I'm finally on the latest version and I see they have spiced up the core plug-ins.
I still like it! :)

I use Samplitude X3 and find everything works well.

You can customize the keyboard shortcuts to behave like any DAW you have used before.

I picked it up over the Studio One because trial version Studio One did not play nice with my Win7 64 AMD based box.

Reaper did not handle loops as well as Samplitude does.

Back
Top Bottom