What DAW do you use/and why?

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
I have Logic 9 and it's super glitchy on my iMac. To be fair, my iMac is close to 6 years old, it's got 500 gb hard drive and 12 gb of ram and everytime I record with Logic it freezes up at some point and unless I remembered to click save at some point I get fucked. I use garageband sometimes just for simple things but what do you guys use and/or recommend for just home use without breaking the bank.

Matt

I've stopped using Logic X on my super-old 2007 iMac. It's just easier to open GarageBand on this old pig of a machine. New Mac is in the future...just waiting for Apple to do their hardware refresh announcement next week...then I'll go back to Logic X. I can't complain about getting 10 years out of an iMac.

I've been using Cakewalk stuff for years and currently use SONAR Platinum the most because I'm familiar with it, but I also use Reaper some. If I was just looking to get going with something that is powerful and cost-effective I'd go with Reaper, as it does a lot, and they have a whole series of videos on their site about how to use it and get the most out of it.

Whenever I had glitches like that was because of bad drivers for my interface. Could be the same thing, try rolling to older drivers before switching daw or reinstalling the driver.

I'm on Cubase because that's the one I learned. lol.

Ableton for live use, backing tracks, recording, automation, basic quick mixing. That's like 99% of my usage. Reaper for MIDI editing, some more complex mixing.

Presonus Studio One 3 Pro

Pros:

Nice GUI
Drag'n'drop anything
Both OSX (and Windows if I should ever get the desire)
Mastering build in
AU, VST3, VST support (on OSX).
Melodyne and VocAlign integration
Console Shaper
Stable
Running flawless on 2009 i7 iMac and 2012 i7 Mac Mini

Logic X. It is a stout DAW. The loops are high quality and actually useable. Automation is nice. Space Designer verbs are over the top the EQ, sample delay and compressor is nice too. Haven't used the suggestive drummer feature much yet but a lot of people are happy with it for a song writing tool. A lot of bang for the buck. Pretty stable on OSX Yosemite after tweaks on 2009 iMac and Macbook.

Cubase - I started with Cakewalk (Sonar) however, back in the day it was glitchy and didn't suipport plugins well at all - I had a close look at NUENDO, and that would have been my preferred option however it was very exxy - So I went to Cubase. It's a very good product. They have thier hand out most years for paid updates however that's what pays for development.

Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
I use Logic Pro X under Sierra, because it works flawlessly, comes with 95% of what I need, and sounds great.

I used to be a Sonar fanatic. Never again.

Cubase 8.5 Pro on a PC, because I've used Steinberg since Pro-24 came out for the Atari-ST way back in '87
Tried Protools, used Sonar as an engineer about 10 years ago in a friend's studio.
Protools was too different for me to quickly grasp, Sonar was ok. Still prefer Cubase and the cool VST plugins

Reason 9. Got R6 in about 2011 and have just stayed with it because I'm familiar with it, it does what I need, has lots of loops/refills...

I'm using Reaper, it's super cheap, you can tune it to your needs (there are lots of tutorials and videos on youtube) and it's super stable too!

Logic pro x on my mac mini Late(2012). Works great, 0 issues. I might get a new Mac mini this year, if they announce one next week. Great, cheap machines. I have an IPAD Pro 12.9 for surfing. A cool app on the IPAD is Auria Pro. Does a lot of stuff, and if you hook that up to a Behringer X18 digital mixer, then you got a good Way to record your practices with the band.

Pro Tools 10 HD on a 2011 MBP equipped with 1 TB SSD and 16 BG RAM.

I've been a PT user for many years now, any other DAW just seems really foreign to me.

The only gripe I have is my playback will get glitchy if I'm using too many plugs. (WavesTune is notorious for this) I usually compensate by adjusting the sample rate, but this is just a workaround, not a true solution.

Other than that, I feel like I'm pretty solid with my DAW.

Back
Top Bottom