What control/parameter to tweak?

GazzaBloom

Inspired
What control or parameter will help bring the guitar tone 'forward' through and FRFR monitor such as CLR? I have just discovered the warm fat tones of the Friedman BE amp model and with my PRS Custom 22 it sounds really good but I wish I could just bring the sound out a little more making it sound more direct and in your face.

Turning the preamp sag off helps but is there anything else that can be tweaked that will make amps stand out?

Gazza

Yeah foe sure the Mids. I like to boost the mids a little in the cab block if you are using the preamp sim that is. If you don't then just a tweak to the amp or you could use a GEQ.

OK thanks. I do use the GEQ in the amp block typically cutting 500K a little, boosting 1K a little and 2K even more but still feel I would like the sound to stand out a bit more, maybe it's volume that's needed, I'm tweaking at home volume. Also, I will try reducing the pre-amp gain as I raise the volume up, see of that helps.

Turn off the reverb block. Most patches have a pretty strong reverb dialed into them as a default. Doesn't sound bad per say but doesn't have the immediate up front sound I think your looking for.

Bypass the block and see if that does the trick. Then if so, bring the reverb in again and tweak the time, mix etc to taste

"mids" - what a useless word ;)

I say that, because what is the midrange? Looking at the 3 band console type EQ, the mid slider seems to be around 500-700hz. To me though, thats low mids bordering on lows. To me, midrange is from 1Khz to around 3 Khz - the upper reaches of which could be considered treble. The human voice is the ultimate midrange sound and site 1.5-2.5 k for its most resonant (and depending on timber/sex etc) I believe.

Im guessing, the phrase comes from "the mid range of guitar frequencies" rather that "the midrange of a mix" or "midrange of audible range".

Being pedantic maybe, but I think words like "mids" and "treble" should be banned in the context we use them lol. Why cant we be more specific? instead of saying mids, specify a range e.g. 500-800hz or 1K or 1.5K. That would be much more helpful IMO. Not that the actual advice is bad - just the use of words to define the advice is poor

Just saying.

Paul, mids is the Middle knob of the tone stack. Just like on a real amp. As simple as that.

Ha Ha.

Yeh, I know -but even that changes depending on the stack.

I guess its because from a mix perspective, your not looking at an amp - you looking at a parametric EQ on a desk - or a plugin with variable EQs all the way up the spectrum.

if your taking guitar/amp only then I guess "turn the mids up" is self explanatory. With the AFX, we are spoiled. The mids can mean anything. Id quite like to know the frequency im turning up, when I turn the know labelled mid up. I get the points though.

"mids" - what a useless word ;)

I say that, because what is the midrange? Looking at the 3 band console type EQ, the mid slider seems to be around 500-700hz. To me though, thats low mids bordering on lows. To me, midrange is from 1Khz to around 3 Khz - the upper reaches of which could be considered treble. The human voice is the ultimate midrange sound and site 1.5-2.5 k for its most resonant (and depending on timber/sex etc) I believe.

Im guessing, the phrase comes from "the mid range of guitar frequencies" rather that "the midrange of a mix" or "midrange of audible range".

Being pedantic maybe, but I think words like "mids" and "treble" should be banned in the context we use them lol. Why cant we be more specific? instead of saying mids, specify a range e.g. 500-800hz or 1K or 1.5K. That would be much more helpful IMO. Not that the actual advice is bad - just the use of words to define the advice is poor

Just saying.

I understand your point. It's hard to communicate ideas when the language is really loose.

But, from a musical point of view, I really appreciate simple. Like use this EQ and boost the middle slider and see if you like it. No worries about the engineering the Q, the curves, or anything. Just a simple EQ that sounds good.

A lot of the vintage analog outboard gear I love is like this. Just a few controls and sounds great.

I think I'm going to have to check out this De-Phase thing.
I've been using a wide mid boost with a PEQ block, but interested to see what difference De-Phase has.

Back
Top Bottom