What 'configuration' was the pre-18 Mark IIC+?

AdmiralB

Inspired
We now have deep, bright, bright+deep, and...plain, I guess. Before, there was only plain and bright.

Was 'deep' modeled in the old versions?

Easy to say. I spent four hours trying to duplicate it. I believe that it cannot be done amp-to-amp (i.e. without external - to the amp - EQ).

I have two units, one with current firmware, one with 17.04. None of the 'new' MkIIs sound like the old. The new ones have at least 7dB more midrange (in the 500-1k area) and an overall 'graininess' that I cannot dial out. The closest I could come was with one of the MkIV models, but that was only 'kinda/sorta'.

It may well be that the newer models are more 'real' - I've never owned a Mark II; only a Mark III and a IVb, and those were a long time ago. But I love the V17 Mark II and it's the only thing I can't get out of the newer firmware.

Easy to say. I spent four hours trying to duplicate it. I believe that it cannot be done amp-to-amp (i.e. without external - to the amp - EQ).

I have two units, one with current firmware, one with 17.04. None of the 'new' MkIIs sound like the old. The new ones have at least 7dB more midrange (in the 500-1k area) and an overall 'graininess' that I cannot dial out. The closest I could come was with one of the MkIV models, but that was only 'kinda/sorta'.

It may well be that the newer models are more 'real' - I've never owned a Mark II; only a Mark III and a IVb, and those were a long time ago. But I love the V17 Mark II and it's the only thing I can't get out of the newer firmware.

I agree. I had a really badass thrash metal tone with the Pre-18 Mark IIC+ model but have had no luck using the new one based on a real amp. I kind of wish Cliff would add the old model back in as a FAS "Idealized" model(FAS Thrash?) but since then I switched to the Mark IV model(USA Lead) and have a tone that I believe is almost the same as what I had with the pre-18 IIC+. So I really don't "need" it but would be cool to have.

Back
Top Bottom