What computer interface works in aggregate device mode with the FX II using USB?

DFauvre

Inspired
I have a Duet, Apogee has confirmed what Tone Merchants (they sold me the Axe Fx) that the Duet and Quartet CAN NOT work with any other device than an apogee device in aggregate device mode. So, who out there is using USB in AND at the same time brining in an input from another device? If you want to record guitar via USB and a vocal through an interface like the DUET, what works? If Apogee doesn't work, that's pretty distressing as their products are fantastic. I need a rec ASAP for a major project that starts on the 30th. Thanks:)

Why not use an interface that has digital I/O and hook the Axe up to the digital I/O? Then you don't have to deal with aggregate devices. There are lots of good interfaces with digital I/O.

I like Apogee stuff generally, but the fact that the Duet/Quartet has no digital inputs is a PITA and really limits their flexibility. I like my RME UFX which will do what you want, but it's 2k. I don't what interface has good mic pres, digital i/o and is relatively cheap. Maybe someone else does. I know it's been discussed here before.

you mean an I/O that can take the USB from the Axe Fx? does it split it into the 3 channels? the stereo processed channels and a 3rd unprocessed channel for reamping?

If Apogee doesn't work, that's pretty distressing as their products are fantastic.
Yes, it speaks volumes about how hard it is to aggregate any old couple of devices together, keep their clocks in sync and generally make them behave well as one single unit. Honestly, OS X would be better off if Apple just dropped the whole aggregate device methodology from Core I/O once and for all because the idea is generally a horrific failure unless it's used in very specific, unbelievable narrowly defined, circumstances.

Take a look at the RME Babyface unit: RME: Babyface -- comparable to the Duet in size and function. Pre's with comparable goodness. Rock solid driver history. And it sports S/PDIF. It's over TOSLINK so you'll need a TOSLINK to coaxial convert (something like this Amazon.com: Monoprice Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter: Explore similar items) as well.

Thanks! plyall, are you saying that you are able to use the RME Fireface with the Axe-Fx II going into the iMac with USB and it works? Did you set this up as an aggregate device first? (I imagine there is no other option) OR are you saying the USB does into the RME?

I use an apogee ensemble, and aggregate works fine in logic 9 and os 10.8.

More than once I've recorded 8 channels on the apogee, USB in from the axe, and USB in from a MIDI keyboard with no hiccups.

I use the two FFace 800's and the Axe-FX II's USB I/O together in an aggregate device. This is done in the Mac's Audio Midi Setup.app. The only thing that you have to be mindful of is that the Axe is a fixed 48Khz rate. I _think_ my Mac Pro (not in front of it at the moment) allows me to apply a 'drift' correction in this app that let's the Axe be resampled to 44.1Khz, but it's been a while since I messed with it.

Now, all of that said, while the Axe/USB works well with the 2 RME Firefaces, I rarely use it that way. I typically record at 44.1khz and don't really want to have to drift correct the rate, AND the level I can get out of the Axe-FX using its analog outs (Output 1 in this case) is SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than what I can get using the USB inputs. Another reason I go analog is that I have the hardware in place already to do reamping w/o using the USB port. If you are planning to reamp and don't have an external DI box and reamp box (I use Radial JDV and X-AMP for this), then routing via USB is probably the way to go. Note that others also use the Axe-FX's digital I/O to do reaping. I have not explored this.

In general, do professional users use the USB or the analog outs? plyall, are you saying that the X-AMP splits your guitar signal? you go guitar>DI box>XLR to X-Amp>one out to the Axe Fx and one to your FFace? So this gives you a dry guitar track? Along with the stereo track out of the Axe-FX. Then how are you reamping? What's the signal path out of the FFace>Axe Fx>FFace? Thanks!!

Okay - here's my signal path:

Input -

Guitar -> Radial JDV Output A ->* Axe-FX II -> [Axe FX Output1] -> FFace 800, inputs 9&10 - (EFFECTED Signal) -> Computer
________Radial JDV Output B -> FFace 800, input 1 - Totally dry DI signal (DRY SIGNAL) -> Computer
______________________________________ [Axe FX Output 2] -> RCF NX-12 SMA powered monitors

Output -

Computer -> FFace Output 35 [aggregate device] -> Radial X-AMP ->* Axe-FX front input

*Note: I must disconnect the Radial JDV from the AXE-FX II input and replace it with the Radial X-AMP's output to reamp the dry track.

Sounds complex, but in actuality, it's very straightforward. If it seems convoluted, draw it on paper.

Last edited:
I am confused! : ) Are you using the Radial JDV to split your guitar signal? Could I use a Countryman Type 10 DI (I have one now) and use the XLR out on the back as the dry signal and the Thru on the front into the Axe Fx? Or is the Thru the wrong imedence or whatever? Doesn't it need to be Hi-Z or whatever they call it to go into the axe fx on the front? Also, could I use a Little Labs Multi Z to do both the splitting of the signal in the beginning and the reamping of the recorded track? And last...I have a new iMac...no Firewire input, only USB and thunderbolt. I assume I can go Firewire to Thunderbolt with an adapter? Thanks. Still amazed in two days I can't find anyone who can tell me how to use the USB and if they do use it with what interface.

I use my RME UFX as an aggregate interface with the Axe. I use a Countryman Type 10 to record the dry signal plugging into the RME input, and also using the thru output from the countryman I can obtain processed and another dry signal from the Axe Fx, using its inputs/outputs via USB. This way I have both Axe Fx and Countryman DI at the same time.
You can also just use the interface without aggregating it, but the Axe Fx has to be hooked up digitally via SPDIF or AES EBU cable.

Back
Top Bottom