What 'cha listening to?

Mostly doing the alternative thing, not a lot of guitar stuff in it, but I like it.
Metric, Silversun Pickups, Beck, Phantogram, Happy Hollows, Le Blonde, Paramore, Chvrches, Arctic Monkeys, Lucius, Arcade Fire, London Grammer.
For acoustic guitar music:
Weepies, Collin Hay (Men at Work), Iron and Wine, Milk Carton Kids, Shins.
Going way back:
Toto, Fixx, Smithereens, Stone Temple Pilots, Offspring, Gin Blossoms, Level 42.
Also trying (not succeeding much) to learn to dance the tango. Great music.
All over the map, pretty much.

Cult Leader

a2573689207_2.jpg

Fink, more mellow than a lot of the stuff I listen to but really nice stuff.

Skip to 7min 40 seconds to hear a nice live version of one of their tracks (for some reason Youtube timestamps don't seem to work here)

Cheers,
Brian

FZ (as usual)
Ratt
JB
EJ
Sepultura
King Diamond
David Lee Roth (mostly with Becker)
Public Enemy
The Cars
Talking Heads
Portnoy, Sheenan, MaCalpine, Sherinian
Steve Morse
The Cure
The Smiths
SRV
Steve Hackett
Coltrane

Last edited:
(Warning: funky jazz fusion with not a lot of guitar content)

Today I stumbled across "Snarky Puppy" on youtube. This song - imagine solid 70s style funk (complete with horn section) that somewhere along the way ventures into Chic Corea territory before crashing headlong into an amazing 4 minute display of jazz fusion keyboard pyrotechnics that remind me a touch of Patric Moraz' finest moments (not to mention Chic Corea and Jan Hammer)

Poco, mainly the era with Chapman & Harrison as the rhythm section. (Legend/Under the Gun/Blue & Gray/Cowboys & Englishman/Ghost Town/Inamorata).
How solid were they? But even more so, what an incredible talent is Paul Cotton. One of my all time guitar heroes. Those solos are short but deadly, and an incredible voice. Great stuff.

(Warning: funky jazz fusion with not a lot of guitar content) Today I stumbled across "Snarky Puppy" on youtube. This song - imagine solid 70s style funk (complete with horn section) that somewhere along the way ventures into Chic Corea territory before crashing headlong into an amazing 4 minute display of jazz fusion keyboard pyrotechnics that remind me a touch of Patric Moraz' finest moments (not to mention Chic Corea and Jan Hammer) Video Link: http://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc

I LOVE snarky puppy. Bummed they won't be this far west until next year. They're insanely good live.

Argh. Was talking to the keyboard player in my band and apparently they were at SFJAZZ last weekend. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Last edited:
(Warning: funky jazz fusion with not a lot of guitar content)

Today I stumbled across "Snarky Puppy" on youtube. This song - imagine solid 70s style funk (complete with horn section) that somewhere along the way ventures into Chic Corea territory before crashing headlong into an amazing 4 minute display of jazz fusion keyboard pyrotechnics that remind me a touch of Patric Moraz' finest moments (not to mention Chic Corea and Jan Hammer)

Really enjoyed that. I honestly had no idea what Snarky Puppy was even about. I'm amazed I hadn't really heard of them before given I usually pay attention when a band is composed of members that went to North Texas, given the quality of its alumni (Lyle Mays, Norah Jones, etc.)

Rook - I'm hijacking your recommendation, here's another one from that session that is equally awesome.[snip]
No worries :) The video I posted was literally the first thing I found when I did a search for them and I had to share it here. I'm glad I am not the only one here who didn't know about these cats. I was watching a video demonstrating the new Sub 37 synth from Moog and was really digging the keyboard player's chops and vibe. The vid listed him as being from Snarky Puppy, so off to YouTube. I love being alive in 2014!

Back
Top Bottom