What case/gig bag do you use and why?

FWIW if you are looking at a dual case - consider the dual acoustic/electric if you have a hollowbody guitar. I got the http://monocreators.com/dual-acoustic-electric/ and it works great for having a 335/Gretsch kind of guitar - but also works fine for the strat/tele gigs. I still wouldn't fly with it, but was worth it to have the flexibility of what two guitars I want to use.

No, not really.

If you're absolutely certain they won't force you to check it in then yes, why not. I would be okay to travel this way even with a Vertigo.
From what I've read, Delta is really good at letting people carry guitars on as long as it's within a certain size and weight limit.

I'm now looking at the Gator Polyfoam LP case. It seems small enough to carry on but just barely.

Last edited:
FWIW if you are looking at a dual case - consider the dual acoustic/electric if you have a hollowbody guitar. I got the http://monocreators.com/dual-acoustic-electric/ and it works great for having a 335/Gretsch kind of guitar - but also works fine for the strat/tele gigs. I still wouldn't fly with it, but was worth it to have the flexibility of what two guitars I want to use.
Appreciate the info. I'm just looking at single guitar travel but I'll def go for that one for local to tri-state gigging.

I wish they made a flightcase for two guitars. One guitar on one side, the other on the other side. My previous band once got a gig in Italy flying with Alitalia-KLM from Schiphol, the Netherlands. We arrived at the airport with basically two pieces of luggage each, 4 guitars in total, 1 bass guitar, but no more then 30 kilos in total per person. We were then told that only one piece of luggage per person was allowed so we had to pay extra. On the way back we taped some guitar cases together, creating two duals. I doubt that the check in officials at Schiphol would have accepted that but in Italy things were more relaxed. Which was good because otherwise we would have lost money on that gig.

If I had to travel by air again I would opt for a flightcase, preferably one that can carry two guitars, check that in as luggage and carry the remainder of my gear as hand luggage.

Until, one day, an airline decides to stop the practice.They do it more and more often around the world.
Isn't that a bit like saying "[it's good to have a plan for what you're doing to do tomorrow] until one day the world ends"? It's a bit moot at that point but we're not at that point. Further, it's kind of unlikely that you're going to show up at the jetway and the airline will have suddenly decided that guitars are no longer allowed in the overhead bins. If the airlines changes their policy and you're not aware of it, that kind of detracts from the concept of "planning ahead", doesn't it?

If you think ATA is the only way to travel with an instrument, you're welcome to that opinion. Frankly, I used to be one of those folks. If you have solid arguments in your favor, better yet. However, you have far better reasons than "they might change policy". That's a pretty weak one, even if the global trend seems to be going in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom