What cabs/ir's for clean to edge of breakup?

hendrik7

Hey guys. I got my new FM3 in the mail this last Friday and I've been in awe of the tones. Never expected it to sound this good.

But the cab selection is a bit daunting. So I wanted to ask what you guys are using for clean to cleanish / edge of breakup tones? What stock cabs are the go to's? What about 3rd party ir's? York? Etc..

Thanks!

Last edited:
Experiment with some stock 1x12 or 2x12 cabs. But even 4x12 cabs with proper amp (this is where you should start) settings or just a roll-down on the guitar volume can give some edge of breakup tones.

You're asking two questions in one. Don't do that, instead ask two separate questions.

Cabs don't make much difference for clean to heavy distortion. They affect the sound of the amp but not its breakup. Certain styles of cabs are used more often for metal and hard rock, such as 4x12 or 2x12, but a 4x10 or even a 1x12 can definitely give you great sound.

Your best bet is to pin the Cab picker and scroll through a bunch of cabinets. I'd start with what type of amp you want; Fender and Vox amps cover clean to break up nicely, but so can Marshall-style amps when they're not pushed hard, so experiment, or better, go through the factory presets and see what are recommended.

I’d also try and go though some of the factory preset ,if you like one ,check out the cab. It is a bit overwhelming at first. my go too’s are fractal tv cabs and Marshall with 75’s . Leon Todd’s cabs are great too ,on axe exchange . Think of it as what ever amp your using ,what speakers is that amp maker using . It’s going to take a while ,But it’s fun😎

Since you mentioned 3rd party IRs, if you're willing to spend, you can't go wrong with York Audio. There are ~10-15 mixes per cab, and I've never had to venture beyond the mix folder to find what I want. The stock cabs are good, but I already had a few YA packs from my Helix days, so I loaded them. For me, it's worth it because it saves me time. I know they sound great, and I don't have thousands of options to choose from, so it makes it worth it for me just based on the time saving.

It all depends on what sort of music you're trying to play. My personal fav is the Matchbox D-30 with matching cabs (use the 57 and 121 in combination), a little bit of compression, have the master volume at about 7.5, gain around 5. It'll clean up nicely but break up as well and soar with a drive pedal.

Since you mentioned 3rd party IRs, if you're willing to spend, you can't go wrong with York Audio. There are ~10-15 mixes per cab, and I've never had to venture beyond the mix folder to find what I want. The stock cabs are good, but I already had a few YA packs from my Helix days, so I loaded them. For me, it's worth it because it saves me time. I know they sound great, and I don't have thousands of options to choose from, so it makes it worth it for me just based on the time saving.
Try the YA IRs that come with the device prior to spending the dough. I also have a gang of IRs from my Helix days and only use the stock ones since FAS-life.

For some reason, I like the Pre-Rola Greenback 4x12 cab with a 1987X Normal Marshall for cleans, crunch (drive added), overdrive (separate drive), and fuzz (Face Fuzz). The Pre-Rolas have nice harmonic content if dialed in between the 80 (or 100) - 8000 Hz range.

I personally prefer my cleans warm and full sounding; the 1987X / Pre-Rola enables that easily.

Remember to set your 1987X input drive low (3.00 to 4.00) for edge of breakup. 4.5 at the most.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I got my new FM3 in the mail this last Friday and I've been in awe of the tones. Never expected it to sound this good.

But the cab selection is a bit daunting. So I wanted to ask what you guys are using for clean to cleanish / edge of breakup tones? What stock cabs are the go to's? What about 3rd party ir's? York? Etc..

Thanks!
Good stock cabs I’ve found so far are L183, F246, F226 - those sound great with the vox, Morgan and Princeton amps I use. I was also very surprised at how good the cabs in ownhammer’s deluxe 4x10 cab pack sounded. One of my favorite cab purchases. Also really like York Audio’s Vox and Matchless packs.

Thanks guys! Some great stuff here. I will look into all those! I ended up buying the new 65 cabs from York. They sound really great!

Back
Top Bottom