What cable to go direct to Mixer

SOAWM

Inspired
I'm on the verge to order some stuff on Thomann and I'm trying to find a cable to connect my Axe-Fx II directly to our Soundcraft mixer for rehearsals. What kind of cable do I need? The output is balanced, but it seems like I can't find any XLR to XLR balanced cable?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I'm glad my stupid question was answered politely, I know other forums where they'd either ignore you or mock you... :D

However keep in mind that the xlr out on the axe is LINE level NOT MIC level. If you want to go into the snake on stage you must use a direct box. 1/4 from axe into direct box, then xlr out of direct box into the snake on the stage.

However keep in mind that the xlr out on the axe is LINE level NOT MIC level. If you want to go into the snake on stage you must use a direct box. 1/4 from axe into direct box, then xlr out of direct box into the snake on the stage.

So does that mean that I can't connect my Axe-FX directly to our soundcraft Mixer?

EDIT: I guess I'm better off with a XLR to Jack cable, so I can connect the Axe to a Line Input of the Soundcraft?

Last edited:
Just to chime in here, I ran Stereo XLR outs of my AxeFX into a snake at church twice and everything worked and sounded fine. What's the issue then? Why should I not be doing that?

it's not like it won't work...

line level OUT is a louder signal than a mic level OUT. when you plug it into your mic preamps (mic level IN) it will just be really loud and you may not have to/be able to turn up the gain/trim knob on your mixer. if you have a Pad or Attenuation switch on the channel, enable it and then you can use your gain/trim knob.

but it will work. i do it all the time with XLR to the mixer. just know how to use the mixer. or you may have to turn down your axe a bit.

My output is usually under a quarter and that's plenty of signal for XLR to board. Would signal to noise ratio change if I use a DI?

My TRS line level inputs(which are in the the first 4 mic pres inputs next to the xlr's) on my MAckie 1202vlz3 bypass the mic pre if you use trs. Don't most boards do that if there is a xlr and line in on the same channel.
Only the xlr is routed thru the mic pre.

Most mixers can be adjusted for line level on an input or will have a separate 1/4" TRS input for balanced line level. You're better off using the XLR output to a mixer, because it's balanced. Particularly if it's a longer run through a snake or installed wiring. The 1/4" out of the Axe will be unbalanced. So even if you need to run into a balanced 1/4" TRS jack for a line level input, ideally you still want to run out of the Axe's XLR. You can wire up a XLR to TRS cable if you need to run into a balanced TRS input with your line level signal. If you're running through a snake, you'd run into the snake with XLR and use the XLR->TRS on the mixer end, to take the XLR out of the snake and run it into the line level of the mixer channel.

Having said that, unbalanced doesn't mean you will have interference. It just is more susceptible to it.

Back
Top Bottom