What brand of cable are you using for guitar to Axe?

Here's Cliff on the subject throughout the years... :)
Sorry for lack of paragraphs.

The whole cable thing is really BS. The only audible and measurable difference is solely due to the difference in capacitance. The cable manufacturers trying to convince people of skin effect, strand jumping, etc. etc. is just hooey. All you need is well-made cable. Low-capacitance is preferable but if treble rolloff really bothers you that much then put a buffer in your guitar. I like Whirlwind and ProCo myself. Well-made, durable, and low handling noise. And priced reasonably. / Anyone looking for "high-end" cables: go buy some good old Belden or Alpha, etc. cable and some Neutrik or GL, etc. connectors and save yourself a few hundred dollars. / Actually, it is quite common for speed of transmission to be dependent upon frequency. This is a phenomenon known as dispersion. It happens because the path length is a function of frequency (due to skin effect, etc.). That aside, the amount of dispersion in a 20 ft. length of cable is practically impossible to measure, let alone hear. Dispersion is only significant when transmitting wideband signals over many kilometers of cable. Happens more with optical and acoustic signals than electrical. Monster cable and many other cable manufacturers rely on dubious science and patently false marketing claims. The only real, quantifiable, and audible effect a cable has on your tone is due to the capacitance of the cable and the quality of the shielding. The capacitance rolls off the high frequencies and the shielding, well, shields the signal from noise. The difference in the capacitance and shielding factor between your run-of-the-mill Belden cable and Esoteric Audio Labs Quantum Infinium Super Ballistic Low-Loss Megablaster III cable is negligible. The price, however, is not. You can build your own cables that will perform as well, or better, than anything Monster or any other "boutique" cable maker can build for a fraction of the price. Simply buy a spool of good-quality cable and some good Neutrik or G&H or Switchcraft connectors and spend a little time with the soldering iron. If you don't want to do that, there are plenty of "no-name" cables that perform very well and have a reasonable cost. Parts Express sells some very good, inexpensive cables. Remember, it's basically just a piece of coax. There's only so much you can do, and anyone who tries to sell you 20 ft of wire for $100 is a snake-oil salesman, plain and simple. Here's a basic test: if they have a cable that is "directional" then they're snake-oil salesman. // 1/2011: The only audible difference is capacitance. Don't believe any of the nonsense about directionality, "micro-distortions", skin depth, etc. If you truly want the lowest capacitance possible then use a short cable into a buffer. The reason capacitance is audible is that it forms a low-pass filter with your guitar electronics. The more capacitance, the lower the cutoff frequency. Pretty simple. Personally I look for durability over all else and use 10 footers. Cable manufacturers would like you to think there's more going on. There isn't. And please, for the love of Peter Griffin, don't get suckered into buying special power cords.

Cliff, HRI: In general I think high-end cable is snake-oil but I will concede that you may get less high-frequency loss by using expensive instrument cable. Power cables OTOH, are nothing but hype. Do you think the outlet is some magical, perfect AC source? There's at least 100 ft. of crappy, solid, unshielded Romex between the outlet and the distribution transformer. A few feet of "linear, oxygen-free, strand aligned, blah, blah" isn't going to make any difference. Any decent, heavy gauge power cable will work just fine and save you quite a bit of money.

Cliff, HRI: The primary intent of balanced cabling is to improve EMI immunity. Balanced cabling combats both conducted EMI and differing ground potentials (commonly referred to as ground loops). A full treatise on the reasons would be more than I could write here but suffice it to say for cabling within a rack balanced cabling is rarely needed. It really is intended for long cable runs. I'd hook it all up with unbalanced cables to start and if you have any problems seek to isolate the problems. The G-Force balanced outputs can be used with plain old unbalanced (instrument) cables.

Cliff, HC: Another sure sign of a snake-oil salesman is when someone can't point to any hard evidence: double-blind test results, laboratory measurements, etc. but instead refers to "reviews" and "customer testimonials". Instead of measured parameters you get vague, obfuscating terms like "pinch definition" and "soundstage". Or my favorite: "organic". It's a great tactic too since anyone who claims they can't hear a difference is easily dismissed as not having a discerning ear. There's a whole fascinating psychology behind this and it gets exploited every day in many different products: rare-earth metals that cure joint pain, potions that reverse hair-loss, etc. etc. This same BS goes on in the audiophile world and unfortunately it's now being foisted on the guitar community. Don't get me wrong. Cables can and DO sound different. But there's no secret sauce, no magic elixir. It's just basic science and you can achieve the same results at much lower cost. I'm also not saying that these boutiique cables are bad. I'm sure they're very well built and probably have decent electrical properties. If you have the disposable income then by all means buy them. If you're like me and cringe at the idead of spending absurd amounts of money for some wire and connectors then, well, you get the idea.

Interesting read from Cliff there.

I went out and spent a bit of money on Mogami cables, then realised that the output jacks on a couple of my guitars were crappy, which defeated the whole purpose! Made me realise that there are SO many other things like jacks, pots, patch cables etc. in the chain that could negate a 'super lead'...

I will say though, that I love the Neutrik ends on my cables - It is so good to be able to unplug and replug guitars with impunity (and to watch the sound guy have a heart attack while doing so).

I'd bet dollars to donuts that I could hear the difference between a proco mic cable and a monster one, regardless of what Cliff says. Perhaps there is something else that is not measured in normals tests the way capacitence is. All I know is that I could (maybe still can) hear the difference. We did blind tests way back in the mid 80's in my studio. We actually wore blindfolds, my chief engineer and I, and we tried to fake each other out (like using the same cable three times, but making it sound like we were swapping 'em). And over the course of the tests, we achieved a significant amount of inebriation to boot - but we were 100% accurate, both of us. Now, I was 25 then, I'm 52 now, so it's possible that I can't hear the difference anymore - but two people doing about 5 hours of blind tests convinced us (different mics, DI's etc.)! Now, that was mic cables. We did hear a similar difference in guitar cables (we also heard that the first generation Monster mic cable was incredibly microphonic and a bad choice for any noisy environment, but especially for a anything moving, like a guitarist). We never did a full-blown blindfold test of guitar cables, so I can't swear to 'em. I do swear to the results on mic cables. Both of us were correct 100% of the time. The sound wasn't even close.

I still use Monster.

Power cables? I've never even given it a thought - just used regular old cables of suffiicently thick gauge.

I'm using air. ;) Wireless.

Low capacitance, unless it's humid.

Just kidding with you, although I do generally use wireless (X2, if you care). When I do use a cable, I have some from Canare and Mogami. As noted, the reason good cable is important is (very generally) when you get a good piece of cable and quality cable connectors it is likely to be put together well... and that's the most important thing. Good components+bad assembly=junk. I have a slew of Whirlwind cables too, always reliable.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that I could hear the difference between a proco mic cable and a monster one, regardless of what Cliff says.

---

Both of us were correct 100% of the time. The sound wasn't even close.

I still use Monster.

But are you really, really 100% sure that absolutely no other factor could have played a role? That it was the cables, and only those, that made the difference? Not bad termination, soldering, internal damage etc...

Hearing a difference on a low impedance signal through properly constructed mic cables? I doubt that, and stories about private experiences aren't very scientific 8)

But are you really, really 100% sure that absolutely no other factor could have played a role? That it was the cables, and only those, that made the difference? Not bad termination, soldering, internal damage etc...

Hearing a difference on a low impedance signal through properly constructed mic cables? I doubt that, and stories about private experiences aren't very scientific 8)

Let's see: two guys, one cheap Ramsa mixer, some middling TOA monitors, a blindfold, and a pile of cables - all plugged into the same channel - except when we did rapid A/B's, then we used two channels but switched the cables around at random. Not a lot of variables there.

And I'll say one more thing: it wasn't just that there was more 'air' - the lows were less mushy, more tightly defined. Using a bass through a DI into the cable, we coud both feel a better transient articulation on low notes.

Nope, it was a pretty scientific test. How is it not 'scientific' - 'cause it wasn't done in a lab with a white coat on? Absurd. Very few variables, all carefully switched back and forth, and 100% results. Not one false positive of negative in about 5 hours.

Maybe I'll repeat it not that I've got some nice Focusrite ISA preamps - see if my ears @ 53 can still pick it up.

Nope, it was a pretty scientific test. How is it not 'scientific' - 'cause it wasn't done in a lab with a white coat on? Absurd. Very few variables, all carefully switched back and forth, and 100% results. Not one false positive of negative in about 5 hours.

Quite scientific :razz There's a pile of variables!

Hmm...I've been taking Cliff's advice and didn't know it. I buy long runs of Canare GS-6, switchcraft plugs, and make all my stuff. Been doing that for a decade at least.

Once soldered, I use a glue gun and cover all solder, slide heat shrink tubing over it, grab a lighter to shrink it down and call it good.

Ironically, I don't use much cable now -- with digital firewire, AES, wireless and on-board effects on Axe-Fx and metric halo digital mixing board, I have a pile of un-used cables and only need a few spares.

Pretty cool.

I basically have one test for any cable between my guitar and amp: does the cable still lie relatively flat, without kinks, on the floor after an hour long set of moving, twisting and turning?

This is the most frustrating thing for me with super cheap cables... they don't always play nice when you want to roll them back up, or when you walk away from the amp... do a half turn... and walk back... only to find kinks and loops sticking up from the floor just waiting to snag your foot.

I was always a snake oil theory guy myself on high end cables. My only criteria for buying cables was that they were sturdy, well built and lay flat. Then, a couple of years back, I bought a David Gilmour strat which came with an Evidence Audio cable - apparently the same cable that DG himself uses. So I plugged it in and I have never used another cable since. The sound of this cable is way better than any of my other cables.

I don't know why and I don't really care, but I love the cable and what it does for my guitars. If it is good enough for DG, it is certainly good enough for me. I bought another one, longer and with a right angle jack on the guitar end and that is my cable now.

I'd definitely recommend trying them out - nothing to lose by it.

I use Sommer cable Spirit XXL. Very very durable. Low capacitance so the high resonance peak of my single coil guitars stay where it should be.

Then, a couple of years back, I bought a David Gilmour strat which came with an Evidence Audio cable - apparently the same cable that DG himself uses. So I plugged it in and I have never used another cable since. The sound of this cable is way better than any of my other cables.

I suspect that the Evidence cable capacitance nicely matches to the guitar, creating something tasty out of the combination. That's sounds like the best reason to buy a particular cable to me!

Terry.

I use a belt mounted Creation Audio Labs "Redeemer" preamp to buffer my guitar from cable capacitance. Now it doesn't matter which cable I use. My 513 and P90 guitar brightened up considerably, more-so than my humbucker guitar. Impedance loading has a greater effect on those instruments.

Terry.

That's an interesting comment Terry and it has me thinking. My main guitar is a PRS 513 Private Stock which has an alder body, maple top and maple neck and fingerboard. Tone wise, it is very close to the Gilmour strat in the neck and neck/middle positions which is where I play the most and it sounds great with the Evidence cable, which is perhaps not surprising.

I also use the heavy humbucking bridge position a fair bit with higher gain settings and it can sound a little harsh so I have to tweak and dial around that. I'm going to try it with different cables to see how it sounds just out of interest.

Never really thought that much about cables before, but maybe one of my others may be better suited to the humbucking modes of the 513.

Here's Cliff on the subject throughout the years... :)

The whole cable thing is really BS... Well-made, durable, and low handling noise. And priced reasonably. / Anyone looking for "high-end" cables: go buy some good old Belden or Alpha, etc. cable and some Neutrik or GL, etc. connectors and save yourself a few hundred dollars..

Yep, exactly what I have been doing since I can remember... I have tried Belden, Canare, Mogami and some no name brands... always used quality Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors... all worked well, the only difference in sound I ever heard was my piss poor guitar playing...

Current cable, because of what is available locally, and not for any other reason

SOMMER CABLE - SC-SPIRIT for Guitar, Neutrik NP2X-AU-SILENT Plugs guitar end and NP2X-BAG or NP2RX-BAG (right angle) amp end...

5 Metre (20') cable, plus plugs costs me $28... haven't found a commercial option better than that... :D

5M.jpg 3M.jpg

I have always used a conquest 20ft cable ($30). After 10 years with literally the same cable, it started getting a little scratchy, then my strap came off at practice, and my guitar landed right on the edge of my lf jr cleanly sheering the cable in half (also pulled my input jack plate out and putting a solid chip in the paint). I grabbed my other guitarists cable and it just didn't sound right. So, I tried my wife's conquest cable and sure enough, it sounded like my old cable. Even our drummer could tell the difference. I ALWAYS thought it was snake oil, but cables make a difference. I'm entirely willing to admit I could've been hearing differences in capacitance, but there was a clear difference.

I ordered a new conquest cable and I doubt I'll ever use anything else.

It is not B.S. If a measuring device cannot detect the difference, but the brain/ear combination can, then either the measuring device is not sensitive enough, or the attribute being measured (capacitence, say) is not the one responsible for the audible difference.

MOTU, Apogee and Metric Halo converters all spec out pretty much the same - but I guarantee you they do not sound remotely alike. LOTS of people buy the MOTUs based on their bit rate, word size, S to N ratio etc. - me? I wouldn't touch 'em with a 10 foor pole for serious recording. But they 'test' just fine.

I have never A/B'd speaker cables. I use Monsters there too, mostly out of habit. As to power cords, Cliff is 100% right (and I didn't even know anyone tried to make the case for 'em) - you've got some crap romex or nomex in the wall for many feet, then some special cable for 6 is gonna make a difference? Now that is BS...

I ALWAYS thought it was snake oil, but cables make a difference. I'm entirely willing to admit I could've been hearing differences in capacitance, but there was a clear difference.

Capacitance, and it makes a big difference. But...cable magic is definitely more euphoric than simple capacitance. Boring science. And it doesn't even cost money. Boring 8)

My understanding albeit a newbie one is that other than quality I.e. strength and durability it is all about the capacitance as commented on by Cliff. The difference in capacitance between the cables is the difference you hear between them. The capacitance rolls off the high end and how you have you Axe-FX set up with regards to those frequencies would also determine the differences or lack of that you do or do not hear.

I have a new g90 now (just upgraded from the g50 for form factor reasons) and it’s easy to hear this effect in play. There is a cable length simulator on the g50/g90 and you can most definitely hear a difference as you change the simulated length parameter. The cable tone simulation actually provides more high-end roll off as you increase the length of the cable simulation. The tone definitely becomes somewhat darker.

In other words, the cable length simulator is just a variable capacitor. At least, that is how I understand and hear it from my humble experiences with the Axe-Fx and g60/g90. But what do I know? :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom