What block to enhance my FRFR tone? EV ZLX12P Content

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Hi guys. I have a fantastic tone through my headphones and board and whatnot for recording/live/rehearsal, but for the times I'm at home and want to use a single FRFR for monitoring, what block or blocks would you recommend to a different output to make this monitor sound most natural/amp in the room-ish?

I have basically split my tone off from the main line at the end; right after the looper and right before the Enhancer block before Output 1; this all goes to a send/return that, at this point, shunts directly to Output 2, where my FRFR is connected. Essentially, I ONLY bypass the Enhancer block and I don't have to bother with changing Output 1 settings (stereo to copy L >R, etc.).

So; would an EQ be best? Maybe a multiband compressor? An enhance block set to modern or some setting that doesn't stereo-ize the signal? Anyone who owns these exact monitors or or similar and has found a trick to make their FRFR really come alive, I'd love your input! If you suggest a particular block, please also suggest some settings that I could/should start with. Thanks!

Hi guys. I have a fantastic tone through my headphones and board and whatnot for recording/live/rehearsal, but for the times I'm at home and want to use a single FRFR for monitoring, what block or blocks would you recommend to a different output to make this monitor sound most natural/amp in the room-ish?

I have basically split my tone off from the main line at the end; right after the looper and right before the Enhancer block before Output 1; this all goes to a send/return that, at this point, shunts directly to Output 2, where my FRFR is connected. Essentially, I ONLY bypass the Enhancer block and I don't have to bother with changing Output 1 settings (stereo to copy L >R, etc.).

So; would an EQ be best? Maybe a multiband compressor? An enhance block set to modern or some setting that doesn't stereo-ize the signal? Anyone who owns these exact monitors or or similar and has found a trick to make their FRFR really come alive, I'd love your input! If you suggest a particular block, please also suggest some settings that I could/should start with. Thanks!

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/amp-in-the-room.141579/

You could route your chain to another output like what's described in the thread above and also maintain your current chain going to your FRFR.

What kind of monitor cabinet are you using?

I have the ZLX12P, its just OK as a FRFR speaker. There is no magic block to add. I would suggest to play thru it and tweak the cab low cut as you go. Also, watch out for too much hi end as well.

Maybe just a little more volume is what you need? Can't hurt to try (I prefer many factory presets at decent volume.. fwiw)

Also, are you playing alone ? Add some low end or remove the low cut in the cab block.
The essential things for a mix, sometimes make the guitar played solo and little bit less fun.
Cab on the ground like a monitor can give more low end response too as it couples with the floor... or in a corner.

They are lower end pa speakers, you might need to tame the highs a bit too (cab high cut etc.)

I have the exact same FRFR speakers. I too noticed that tone is great through headphones and my Monitors but as soon as I try through the ZLX 12Ps the tone becomes bassy, muddy and boxy. I was able to play a bit with the low cut on the cab block to make it sound a bit more similar but I think a separate PEQ block would be better. This way you dont need to keep changing the lowcut when going from headset to FRFR.
Of course I'm only experimenting atm...if anyone else has these and/or a better solution that would be great.
This is the EQ curve for the ZLX 12Ps.
1585061150371.png

This is the EQ curve for the ZLX 12Ps.
Right. "Music Mode" is the only curve that is even remotely close to flat. That said, if you have it on the ground like a wedge monitor, "Club Mode" would probably be a better choice to help offset the low-end coupling.

In the end, though, it's not a great monitor cabinet. As with EVERY monitor cabinet in EVERY application, the closer to flat and linear it is, the better it will sound, and flat and linear don't come cheap. At this price point, this is about what you can expect.

Well, what good is a great tone if it doesnt translate on your PA? ;). I'm open to suggestions on a more flat / linear solution.

Well, what good is a great tone if it doesnt translate on your PA?

A fair point - but unless you are running the exact same monitor as your FOH speakers with the exact same EQ, there will always be some differences between what you hear and what the audience hears. In theory, the more accurate your monitor(s), the better signal you will be sending to FOH; what you want to avoid is dialing in your sound around the problems with the monitor. Beyond that, you just have to trust the FOH tech.

I'm open to suggestions on a more flat / linear solution.

With PA monitors (which is what every so-called "FRFR" really is, not matter what the marketing hype says), you generally get what you pay for. They have been developing PA gear for decades, with the primary goal of making them as flat and linear as they can, pushing against price, weight, and size. The good news is that today's stuff is generally pretty good once you get to the $750-$1,000 price range; the bad news is that below that point, what you have is just a cheap monitor cabinet.

Speaking for myself, I use a pair of Yamaha DXR12s. They are adequate, but still have some issues in the mid-bass range. At some point I will likely upgrade (maybe after gigs start getting re-scheduled?). There are plenty of other choices out there, at varying price points.

[RANT=ON]

What I will say, though, is this: Why would anyone drop $2K-$3K on a best-in-class preamp (Axe-FXIII) and then expect to get great sound by pairing it with a bottom-of-the-barrel $350 powered cabinet? Would you play a '59 Les Paul through a Gorilla and expect the guitar to overcome the bad amp? Would you buy $15K worth of audio gear and then expect it to sound good through $12 Wal-Mart earbuds?

You will always be limited by the weakest link in your complete system. The Fractal piece isn't likely to be the weak point, nor is the selection of blocks inside the Fractal.

[RANT=OFF]

@FullThrottle64
Thanks for the info.
I actually had the EVs before I purchased the AxeFx3. Coming from Yamaha Stagepass 500 setup the EVs were a decent upgrade. I agree they are not the best at translating the great tones I hear coming from my headset, monitors, and L6 PowerCab but definitely could be worse. I just thought it was cool that I started looking into this and someone else made a post about it ;).
So to summarize,
1. On the EVs press and hold the master button to change modes. Try different modes until you find one that gets you the best sound in your space.
2. Add a PEQ block just before the Output block to the EVs. HP about 110 Hz to remove unwanted Bass frequencies and reduce the boominess.
3. LP around 6-8k to reduce harshness.
4. Cut approx 300-500 to reduce some mud and boxiness.

From there you can optionally fine tune to try and flatten it out more. It wont be perfect but should be much better then doing nothing ;).

Last edited:

These speakers are great for monitoring and I have used them in the past with no alterations from the FOH content.

I have a ZLX12BT at the moment, it honestly is not that great in my opinion. It even has horn distortion now at less than a year old and is never set over 0dB. Im glad I didn't purchase a pair...i'd spend the cash next time for better performance.

Back
Top Bottom