What are your go to 4x12 IRs?

Eman7422

Inspired
Tone desired, speaker type = IR chosen

lets us know the type of tone you are going for, the speaker you want and the IR (or IR‘s) you like

I’m new to FM3. I’m a hard rock and metal guy...what are the go-to 4x12’s that come stock? Is it best to blend a 57 version with a 160 or something else?

Factory cabs F2, 0512 thru 0515 cover my needs from clean to mean to crush but I'm going to check out @York Audio new release @Blix mentioned. I have his vox ir's and they're amazing.

All subjective but I have found that paired up the Legacy 149 Trad V60 Full OH and Legacy 37 Basketweave G12M25 RW work best for all my presets. To my ears they sound really good in band mix and FOH. I have used a few 3rd party IRs but continue to go back to the FAS stock cabs.

This is an excellent V30 pack and it's free. I use the 57_1_inch_cap_pres_3 for just about everything with cuts at 83 and 8300. Sounds great.

https://wilkinsonaudio.com/products/gods-cab

Dude, not bad! I downloaded it expecting "meh" but this reminds me more of what I'd hear coming through the monitor + PA when my V30 cabs were miked. On a good night and in a good way.

I've currently got your favorite IR with your cuts panned hard left with 57_1_inch_cap_pres_4 (brighter) panned hard right. Gonna play with this some today.

To answer the OP, there are A LOT of 4x12 IRs included with the FM3 and many of them are good. I have no doubt that god-like combinations could be found, but it would take some time. Here are some of my tried-and-true combinations for all tones short of modern metal (which I don't play):

Paid:
York Audio M25 Mix 01 + York Audio Blackjack Mix 01. BOOM.

Nearly Free:
York Audio Mesa 2x12 ($1). I know you said 4x12 but this is really excellent for tight yet huge tones. I actually prefer it to the OS 4x12 pack I bought.

Free:
Leon Todd's TV Mix 2
Legacy cab #103
... also the Wilkinson Audio free pack referenced earlier in this thread shows some promise

I'm also a big fan of Leon Todd's LT TV Mix 2 IR. I think it's so good, works with anything from classic rock to modern metal. My favourite amp to go with it at the moment is the SLO100.

Also now and then I like to use a really old Axe FX Ultra IR thats simply called "Metal 4X12". It's super strange sounding, and has this "throatiness" to it. It can be easily found via google search, for some reason I'm having problems submitting posts with links.

I've gotta be honest I've been a bit lazy and haven't really delved into the stock 4x12 cabs at all on the FM3, I find cycling through cabs to be extrmeley tedious, so I just use the IRs I used on the FX II.

Lately, I seem to be all over York Audio stuff because I seem to spend a lot less time auditioning and find what I need faster.

That said, I picked up an Ownhammer Diezel pack over the weekend after the Cygnus update. I felt the Herbie deserved a dedicated IR pack and I’m glad I did because those IR’s are working for several high gain amps.

I used my Axe-FX-II and created my own IR's of the cabs/speakers I own and use years ago. I also grabbed Cablab and used it to mix them.
Using these in the FM3 now, still satisfied. I bought a cab pack from fractal (5153 one), and G12-65, V30, G12M from Celestion, all 412 packs... My own IR's were more to my liking so I've stuck with em.

If you have a traditional amp/cab/speaker rig you really love, and own a II or III, rent some quality mic's or book a studio with high end mic's for an hour and shoot your own IR's with your favorite mic placements. Once you do this, you will wonder why you ever bought an IR pack.

I purchased the Austin Buddy live pack. It uses all stock IR’s. I’m new to modeling, so my question is...how much difference will I notice if I were to purchase 3rd party IRS from York or OH compared to the stock? Does it drastically alter the tone?

Back
Top Bottom