What are your favorite guitar tones ever?

There are certainly many, but here is one that has fascinated me for decades. It has been postulated that Clapton went directly into the board for this lead tone (also present in other tracks on Wheels of Fire), but certainly some kind of EQ is altering things considerably. I love that it sounds so much like a horn.

I have not ever tried to emulate it using the AxeFx, but it is on my to-do list.

Reading and clicking through this thread has been pretty inspiring - @nhgtrman consolidating all of these into a Spotify or YT playlist might be a pretty cool idea. So many inspiring tones, performances and production.

What I find interesting is that so many classic tones used the same ingredients for guitar sounds yet the results vary greatly. As guitar oriented creatures we can focus too much on the minutiae of gear as opposed to how a particular performance was captured by an engineer at a particular time.

Any time I fire up the C++, the Atomica or the Deluxe Reverb with the right IR, add some delay and start playing with the III i find myself thinking "how good is this?!". Being able to sound like the best version of yourself is why FAS products are so valuable IMO.

What I find interesting is that so many classic tones used the same ingredients for guitar sounds yet the results vary greatly. As guitar oriented creatures we can focus too much on the minutiae of gear as opposed to how a particular performance was captured by an engineer at a particular time.
So true. You can spend your whole life approaching some tone you heard, and forget that the entire performance or mix was a moment that ended when it was recorded. Better to make your own soup than to define someone else’s as the ultimate dish.

Reading and clicking through this thread has been pretty inspiring - @nhgtrman consolidating all of these into a Spotify or YT playlist might be a pretty cool idea. So many inspiring tones, performances and production.

Any time I fire up the C++, the Atomica or the Deluxe Reverb with the right IR, add some delay and start playing with the III i find myself thinking "how good is this?!". Being able to sound like the best version of yourself is why FAS products are so valuable IMO.

I find myself inspired by just about everything you do man, I'm listening to your latest youtube video as I write this so great job once again and I think what you said is a great idea!

Metallica Load :The House Jack Built. I know there are probably layers of guitar to create the album tones but I still love that intro. I once saw a youtube video with some Metallica clone tones. While I think they were great for the fast stuff, the slower tunes seem to be missing something.

Some different chops:
Prince (especially For You, Prince and Dirty Mind)
Radiohead (Bends and Ok Computer)
Stone Roses (Stone Roses)
Pixies (first three albums)
Muse

Here is some of my eclectic taste in guitar tones (and players). No particular order... and oh they are likely to change by the hour (too many to choose from).

I’ve picked a mix of player styles deliberately for a variety of tones (some I haven’t listened to for a while so will need to dig them out).

Here goes... first random list of 10 that comes to mind for the guitar sound (ok and playing is going to be worth a listen too I think):

Larry Carlton (e.g. Room 335 collection on iTunes or Fegan’s ‘the nightfly’ album)
Steve Vai (e.g. Passion and Warfare or Slip of the Tongue albums)
Martin Taylor (portraits album - I got rhythm)
Gary Moore (After Hours)
Alan Murphy (original guitarist with Go West ‘84)
Steve Lukather (Candyman album)
Guthrie Govan (Aristocrats 1st album)
Tom Scholz (Boston 1st album)
John Mayer (Continuum album)
EVH (you choose)

Ok, so I didn’t get to the end of the first 10 and already I had the next list shouting to be heard. I’ll stop now to leave space for someone else to add their list. (Itching to change some already, but will leave them alone).

If anyone has a good preset for any of these please feel free to point me at them.

Cheers,

Gordon

Early Santana (cranked Fender)
Ohm with Chris Poland (Bogner Fish)
King's X. I need to try this on the Axe.
Van Halen (of course)
Nightranger's/Whitesnake's Mesa tones
ARS - Gibson into Marshall goodness

Back
Top Bottom