What are you using for recording your music?

2017 iMac 4K Retina w/ 32G of RAM
DAW- Logic Pro X
Interface- AxeFX III/FM9/Scarlett Solo (for vocals)
Monitors- Yamaha HS-5’s with an entertainment system sub that does the trick
Headphones- Beyerdynamic DT-990’s
Bass- Spector Pulse 4-string, Peavey Millennium 5-string, Warwick Streamer Standard 5-string
Drums- Superior Drummer 3….I have a couple SDX’s but can’t remember which ones.
Amps- AxeFX III/FM9
Other VST’s/Plug-ins- practically every Waves plugin they make, Slate and Plug-in Alliance subscriptions for all their plug-ins, EastWest’s Play that I use for strings/piano/choirs, Yamaha Triton VST, and a few others I can’t remember now, Logic came with a bunch I use.

The biggest change I had with my mixes was when I stopped relying on so much Waves stuff and started using Plug-in Alliance’s plugins; while they all do the same general things, the Brainworx stuff is really, REALLY killer and I dig a lot of the Slate stuff too. Plug-ins, to me, are no different than finding the right amp or guitar that suits your needs the best. They’re all capable of making music with, but when you find the ones that do exactly what you want with little effort, that’s key.

Also, not sure what else you use to check your mixes with, but I got both Waves Ocean Way and CLA NX’s. They basically make your headphones sound like the control rooms of those studios. They make their own headphones to pair with it, but they also have EQ corrections for some popular headphones. This put an end to me running out to my truck to check my mixes every 20 minutes because now I reference between my monitors, the DT-990’s alone and then the DT-990’s with the Waves NX stuff, essentially giving me 4 different reference points.
Im gonna check this Ocean way NX's setup, that would be great to have proper bass levels telling me what up hehe

2020 Imac 27" i9 8 core with 128GB Ram, to Apollo Quad through Head amp and Adam A7X Monitors Into Logic with NI Ultimate 13, and SD3 with tons of Drums and A Chapman Traditional 6 and a Jackson 7 string Evertune and a Ibanez 5 String Bass, with Axe 3 Mk2 Focal Celestee and Senheisers 650HD's with 5 1TB Externals for my Eastwest Libraries, EV-R20 Mic Blu Mic, SM7B Mic Shure Mic's, and thats It lol

I'm in the same boat. Running Reaper and plugins worth about 200$. There's a lot of good free stuff out there to get you started. Learning the art of mixing might turn out being a lifelong task. YT is my primary source atm. Using the AX8 simplified guitar tracking a lot, trying to replicate existing songs now.

Linux can be a great platform for audio production. I use Manjaro Linux. with a realtime kernel and a app called Studio Control that is a bridge for pulse audio and jack. For a DAW I use Harrison Mix Bus or Reaper both make native linux versions. I have played with Bit wig studio and found it to be similar to Ableton live. I installed Wine and yabridge so I can run some windows plugins and that works for the most part. I find I still need to dual boot with windows to use Axe edit and a few other devises. I tried to run Axe edit in wine and it worked with the exception when you clicked in the app the mouse pointer disappeared if anyone has an idea on how to fix this please let me know.

I tried to run Axe edit in wine and it worked with the exception when you clicked in the app the mouse pointer disappeared if anyone has an idea on how to fix this please let me know.
This works for me.

I make a little shell script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
export WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dwrite=d
export LD_PRELOAD=~/lib/libaxe-edit-cursor.so
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Fractal\ Audio/Axe-Edit\ III/Axe-Edit\ III.exe

I really cut down last year. Sold almost all the stuff in the racks...

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige, Fender, Luna
DAW: Studio One, Harrison Mixbus 32C
Interface: Presonus 32R
PC: Asus i7
Controllers: Control One, Novation
Monitors: Event 20/20BAS, Bowers and Wilkins
Drum Kit: Kat4 w Superior Drummer
Other Software: Sound Forge, Vegas, Izotope, Waves, Slate, yawn...
Lot of Microphones
Zoom Cameras

I'll stop there.

Back
Top Bottom