What are you using for recording your music?

vejichan

Inspired
What guitar, tuning, daw, computer, audio interface, monitors, headphones, bass and drum software, plugins and vsts are you using for recording?

Here is what i am using
Guitar- suhr modern, tom anderson angel
Tuning- drop c, e standard and eb
DAW- Reaper
Computer- 2010 imac
Audio interface - 2nd gen focusrite scarlet solo
Monitors - ik multimedia iloud micro
Headphones - audio technica
Bass - ez bass and modo bass
Drum - ez drummer ii with bob rock hard rock expansion and modern metal expansiob
Ampsims - axefx iii and helix native
Other vsts and plugins - whatever thats included in reaper

Thats all i use. What about you?

2017 iMac 4K Retina w/ 32G of RAM
DAW- Logic Pro X
Interface- AxeFX III/FM9/Scarlett Solo (for vocals)
Monitors- Yamaha HS-5’s with an entertainment system sub that does the trick
Headphones- Beyerdynamic DT-990’s
Bass- Spector Pulse 4-string, Peavey Millennium 5-string, Warwick Streamer Standard 5-string
Drums- Superior Drummer 3….I have a couple SDX’s but can’t remember which ones.
Amps- AxeFX III/FM9
Other VST’s/Plug-ins- practically every Waves plugin they make, Slate and Plug-in Alliance subscriptions for all their plug-ins, EastWest’s Play that I use for strings/piano/choirs, Yamaha Triton VST, and a few others I can’t remember now, Logic came with a bunch I use.

The biggest change I had with my mixes was when I stopped relying on so much Waves stuff and started using Plug-in Alliance’s plugins; while they all do the same general things, the Brainworx stuff is really, REALLY killer and I dig a lot of the Slate stuff too. Plug-ins, to me, are no different than finding the right amp or guitar that suits your needs the best. They’re all capable of making music with, but when you find the ones that do exactly what you want with little effort, that’s key.

Also, not sure what else you use to check your mixes with, but I got both Waves Ocean Way and CLA NX’s. They basically make your headphones sound like the control rooms of those studios. They make their own headphones to pair with it, but they also have EQ corrections for some popular headphones. This put an end to me running out to my truck to check my mixes every 20 minutes because now I reference between my monitors, the DT-990’s alone and then the DT-990’s with the Waves NX stuff, essentially giving me 4 different reference points.

Primary guitars: 2021 Jackson MJ Professional Series Dinky and a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 2
Tuning: Standard
DAWs: Reason and Pro Tools
Interfaces: Yamaha MG16XU 16 channel mixing board, Axe Fx III, Roland TD27 for the drum kit
Monitors: Yamaha HS8 speakers, Yamaha HS8S subs
Headphones: DT 770 PRO 80 ohm
Bass: Fender Precision American Professional II, Fender Precision California Special with active pickups
Drums: Roland VAD 506 drum kit
Amps: Axe Fx 3 for guitars, Ampeg SVT3 PRO for bass, Roland PM200 for drums
VSTS: The main one I use is Melodyne
Mastering software: Ozone 9 and Steinberg Wavelab
Vocal chain: Sterling Audio tube mic, UA 610LA pre and Yamaha MG16XU mixer

Guitars: PRS CE24 w/Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez Talman, Partscaster tele, OLP Baritone
Basses: Lakland 5501, Ibanez BTB776
Amps: Axe FX II XL+
Speakers: Yamaha HS5
Drums: Superior Drummer II
Interface: Axe FX II XL+
DAW: Pro Tools
Plugins: Waves Renaissance

DAW: Ardour
Interface: AxeFX III mkII + Presonus 1824c
Headphones: Sennheiser HD280
Drums: Yamaha DTExpress IV kit (recording audio and MIDI)
Guitars: Peavey T-60, Schecter S-1, Schecter Corsair, Danelectro 56u2 (1990s reissue)
Bass: Schecter Diamond Series custom 4
Tunings: standard, drop D, open G
Keyboard: M-Audio ProKeys Sono88
Synths: various free/OSS things

Guitar- PRS Custom 24 & Tremonti
Tuning- various drop tunings on the tremonti, otherwise e standard and eb
DAW- Logic Pro X
Computer- 2020 mac pro 16“
Audio interface - FM3 (used a scarlet 2i2 before)
Monitors - JBL 305
Headphones - DT 770 250 Ohm

What guitar, tuning, daw, computer, audio interface, monitors, headphones, bass and drum software, plugins and vsts are you using for recording?

Here is what i am using
Guitar- suhr modern, tom anderson angel
Tuning- drop c, e standard and eb
DAW- Reaper
Computer- 2010 imac
Audio interface - 2nd gen focusrite scarlet solo
Monitors - ik multimedia iloud micro
Headphones - audio technica
Bass - ez bass and modo bass
Drum - ez drummer ii with bob rock hard rock expansion and modern metal expansiob
Ampsims - axefx iii and helix native
Other vsts and plugins - whatever thats included in reaper

Thats all i use. What about you?
can i use the FM3 as Audio interface and not use a Focusrite Scarlet ?? is necessary an additional interface ??? thanks @vejichan ¡¡

can i use the FM3 as Audio interface and not use a Focusrite Scarlet ?? is necessary an additional interface ??? thanks @vejichan ¡¡
You can, you are locked in at 48kHz then and will most likely want an external microphone preamp. The headphone and monitor output also would require turning off monitors or unplugging them to use headphones without monitor interference. I do this quite a bit though and love it as my sole interface

Guitars: Suhr Modern Satin, Schecter USA Nick Johnston, RG550LTD, American Deluxe Strat, etc…
Tuning: sometimes
DAW: Cakewalk, since 1987 (it started as a MIDI sequencer for MS-DOS)
Computer: Asus ROG GL552VL
Audio interface: Axe-FX III (Motu Ultralite MkIII Hybrid eating dust inside a drawer)
Monitors: Genelec / Mackie HR824
Headphones: Audeze LCD-2
Bass: Roland V-Guitar system (VG-99, SY-1000). Korg MPK-130 MIDI Pedal Keyboard
Drums: BFD3, SD3
Other vsts and plugins: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Trillian, Band in a Box, Waves, Eventide… very long etc.

Last edited:
Guitar- Solar A26CB, Jackson Professional, Ibanez RG
Tuning- e standard and eb
DAW- Reaper
Computer- mobile workstation Xeon quadcore at 2.9Ghz, Windows 10
Audio interface - FM3 itself - additional Behringer UMC404HD
Monitors - Presonus Eris 5XT with Sonarworks Reference
Headphones - AKG K271 MK II with Sonarworks Reference
Bass - 8-String guitar tuned to E and FM3
Drums - Superior Drummer and E-Drums (Fame DD-One Pro XT) - module only used for trigger2MIDI connected to Behringer UMC
Ampsims - FM3
Other vsts and plugins - whatever thats included in reaper and some additional

Guitars: Suhr Modern Satin, Schecter USA Nick Johnston, RG550LTD, American Deluxe Strat, etc…
Tuning: sometimes
DAW: Cakewalk, since 1987 (it started as a MIDI sequencer for MS-DOS)
Computer: Asus ROG GL552VL
Audio interface: Axe-FX III (Motu Ultralite MkIII Hybrid inside a drawer)
Monitors: Genelec / Mackie HR824
Headphones: Audeze LCD-2
Bass: Roland V-Guitar system (VG-99, SY-1000). Korg MPK-130 MIDI Pedal Keyboard
Drums: BFD3, SD3
Other vsts and plugins: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Trillian, Band in a Box, Waves, Eventide… very long etc.
"Tuning: sometimes" lol!

Recording- Cubase Pro or Ableton
Guitars - Epi Les Paul or Ibanez Pgm 301
Tuning- standard
Interface- FM3 or Audient ID4
PC - basic hardware/mobo
UAD 2 plugins and TC powercore
Drums - GGD or Urgitone
Plugins- Way too many lol

Daw-Nuendo 11
Guitars-ESP KH-2, American Standard Strat, PRS SE 7, Ibanez RG8, Ibanez RG7321, Les Paul Flood, Les Paul wood (not sure of the model), Ovation acoustic,
Tuning-various depends on the guitar
Interface-Axe Fx III and Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre USB
PC-This is the first PC that I built myself. Fractal R5 case, i7-8700k, 64 gigs Corsair Ram, Liquid cooler, ASUS Prime 370-A motherboard,
Bass-Toontrack EZ Bass, Fender American Jazz Bass
Drums-Toontrack Superior drummer 2 and 3 with quite a few add on SDX
Synths-Falcon2, Native Instruments Komplete 12, Steinberg Absolute 4
Plugins-Waves, Slate, Ozone, Melodyne, Fabfilter, Eventide, Kilohearts, Voxengo, really too many to list
Monitors-KRK 10 sub, Yamaha HS8s
Headphones-Sennheiser HD650

The biggest upgrade to my recording space has been the GIK acoustics sound treatment. I could have built the panels myself, but I decided to push the easy button and have the panels pre-made. I highly recommend sound treatment before everything else. I bought a ton of plugins and went through monitors without having the space properly treated and probably wasted a lot of money looking for the thing that would make my mixes better. The sound treatment is what makes my mixes better. I could use stock plugins now and get the same results because I can actually hear how everything sounds. After treating my space, the mix that I hear coming out of the speakers sounds the same whether I listen on a car stereo, home theater, headphones, etc. This is the one single thing that has helped my mixes translate across multiple sound systems more than any other component.

My current setup, although not so much recording has taken place this year while I have worked on the facilities.

Guitar - Gibson Les Pauls ( Standard, Special and Junior, x many of each); Fender Telecasters; Fender Stratocasters; Gibson ES-335; Guild D-25 M acoustic
Amps - Marshall JMP 1987 50 watt, JMP 2203 100 watt, Fender SF Princeton Reverb, Peavey Classic 50 4x10 combo (Mk 1), Epiphone 5 watt tube combo, Marshall JMP 1960A cab.
Tuning- Standard, drop D, double drop D, detuned semitone standard
DAW- Presonus Studio One Pro 4 (have a license for v5, but no time!)
Computer- old Lenovo PC, Windows 10, with recent dual RAM and SDD upgrade, flies along
Audio interface - Original Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Presonus StudioLive 32R (latter is used for everything now)
Monitors - Adam A5X, RCF ART 732-A Mk4 (for live room)
Headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-M50 X, Beyerdynamic DT-100, Behringer HA8000 Powerplay Pro 8 amp (need some more headphones...)
Bass - Fender CIJ Precision Bass with USA Custom Shop pickups
Keys/midi - Akai MPK-249
Drums - actual drummer, think it's a Tama kit, but I'd need to look. XLN Audio Addictive Drums for when the program needs punching in just once. ;) (Truly excellent drum simulation by the way, not a Tama kit or wayward drummer in sight...)
Ampsims - Axe FX III, Axe FX II. Something came with Presonus Studio One, might find the time and patience to care one day, then most likely go straight back to Axe FX
Other vsts and plugins - more than I have space in my head for, all free with DAW and various gear along the way, not sure I need many of them
Microphones - Shure SM58s, SM57s, AKG C1000s's, Rode M5s, AKG D-112, couple of condenser mics that look like dynamic mics and I cannot remember the make and model...

Similar to @drgamble I have invested heavily in acoustic treatment this year, but also in sound-proofing and attenuated HVAC. My experience echoes theirs completely. Making the space sound good means far less messing with VST, effects and EQ.

Investments yet to come are for microphones (specifically for recording vocals and drums), and a few more pairs of headphones for full band recording. Also need at least one sub for the control room. A5X are great, but need rolling off at lower frequencies in a small room.

Liam

Last edited:
Guitars - Gibson Flying V (Burstbucket 2/3), Gibson Explorer ('57 Classics)
Bass - '99 Fender MIM Jazz with Gotoh bridge & Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders
Amps - FM3 + Expression Pedal
DAW - Reaper
Computer - 2014 Macbook Pro
Interface - Scarlett 18i8
Drums - EZDrummer2
Microphones - SM57, AT2020, Rode PodMic
Monitors - iLoud Micros
Headphones - AKG K240
Other - Cloudlifter

I have a few other instruments & amps that I'm not using to record right now. I'm living in an apartment with limited space so keeping almost everything inside the box. I might spring for some room treatment and maybe a small rack with a channel strip & bass preamp down the line. I've been looking into 500 series for the form factor, but I need to do some more research to see if it's worth the investment.

Guitars - Fender, Godin (with MIDI), Ibanez, Taylor, Dean Resonator, Lap Steel, Martin 12 string
Bass - Fender Jazz, Godin fretless, Ibanez Fretless acoustic
Drums - Yamaha acoustics and Roland V-drums with Pearl Mimic module
Misc - Electric Ukulele, Eventide H9 and other misc pedals, Roland GR-55, Akai MPK-249 keyboard, APC40 controller
Computer - 2012 iMac with MOTU 8pre interface.
Monitors - Event 20/20 with sub, JBL powered cabs for live jamming.
DAW - Studio One 5, Ableton Live 11
Amps - Axe FX III, Roland Jazz Chorus, Eden Bass rig, Mesa Boogie 35
VST’s and plug-ins - SD3, Ample Sound Guitars, Omnisphere, Trillion, RMX, BIAB, Scaler 2 (which is awesome BTW)
Headphones- Sennheiser 6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, DT 770, Boss WAZA-air

This is what I have now (and I use) in my project studio:
Acoustic treatment: Audiem acoustic measurement and acoustic project, Red Sound panels
Electric Guitars - Rash DP18, Ibanez Jem 7VWH, Ibanez RG770DX, Ibanez UV777 BK, Fender Malmsteen Strato, OLP MM1F, OLP MM612 SB, James Tyler Variax JTV.59 TS,
Acoustic Guitars - Takamine GN93CE, Takamine GJ72CE, Ovation CE44P
Tuning- Standard, drop D, double drop D, detuned semitone standard
Electric Bass- Warwick Grind Bass 5 NTB, Sire M2 TBL, Sire M7 TBL
Guitar Modeler, FX processor and controllers
: Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III Mark II, FM3, FC-6, EV1, Mission Engineering EP1 and SP1, Fishman Triple Play,
Computer: customized PC workstation, Win 10 Pro, Fractal Design case
Audio Interface: Universal Audio X8, X6, Twin, Satellite4
DAW: Steinberg Cubase 11 Pro, AVID ProTools
DAW Controllers: Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Transport, TC Electronic DVR250, TC Electronic TC1210, TC ElectronicTC2290, TC Electronic TC8210, AKAI MPD218
Outboard: Peterson Strobo Rack, Behringer DEQ2496, ART p16 patchbay, ART p48 patchbay
Monitors: Red Sound Studio 6 custom black
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
Keys: - Native Instrument M32, Native Instrument S88 MK II, ROLI Seaboard Rise 49
Drums: Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, Toontrack EZDrummer 2
Mics: Townsend Lab Sphere, Rode NT5 Matched Pair, SE Electronics X1, Superlux ECM999, Shure SM57, Shure SM 58, Shure Beta 87ABeyerdynamic Opus 29S
VSTi and VST Plugins: too many but mainly I use UAD, Fab Filter, SSL and Soundtoys for FX and Toontrack (keys and bass), Roli, NI, Spectrasonic, Steinberg as VSTi

Back
Top Bottom