What are you studying currently?

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I’m probably not the norm, but I enjoy studying different musical topics probably more than actually playing. So what are you guys studying currently if anything?

My latest discovery is the cycle of sixths (not fifths!) with secondary dominants and sub doms leading into each new key center. The really cool part of this is the incredible bass lines this creates if you setup the chords with smooth voice leading via inversions. I’m including a link below to the page I got the idea from. This was originally from a ted Greene lesson.

A really cool concept that this has really driven home is the idea of key centers. So when going through the cycle it’s not just changing chords, it is basically cyclings KEYS and doing a quick progression in each key.

ive come across mention of other uncommon cycles also, ascending 2nds is interesting with secondary doms or dim 7ths as approach chords.

here is a link to the pdf. If you want to hear the original lesson you can find it on the audio tab on the Ted Greene site.

http://www.tedgreene.com/transcript...d_the_Cycle_of_6ths_Parts1-2byRobertSmith.pdf

The way Ted voices these chords is such a work of art. Has been very inspiring.

Ive got about 1/3 of the long sequence under my fingers and hoping to post a clip of it if I can do it justice. It is probably the hardest thing I’ve ever attempted!

As I'm moving from the AX8 to the Axe FX III, the III is currently my primary field of study, including links to lots of forum threads to reread, and no doubt some time with the manual and the wiki. :)

I’m definitely guilty of spending practice time playing in axe edit. So much good stuff to play with. My music studying mostly happens when I’m on the couch or 1am when I can’t sleep.

Yep more keys under the fingers is a good thing. I’ve also learned a f ton of alternative chord voicing and inversions over the last year. That has really opened up some options

Banjo !!! Got me this jewel for 350 euro, absolutely a cool deal. It happens to be an epiphone MB350.

Attachments

• 20191027_202306.jpg
    20191027_202306.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I joined a jazz big band a couple of months ago, so mostly I'm trying to keep up with all the new material while learning more about jazz in general. Also practicing my sight reading so that hopefully I'll eventually be able to be handed a piece of music and be able to play it. I'm decent at reading chord charts, but trying to read standard notation off the page is still a challenge.

It seems like the abyss of buttons to press on the vast array of VST instruments is never ending! Quite frustrating to say the least. Countless hours reading and watching videos takes away from creative time. But, I’m getting there, slowly.
4DA12C7D-68FC-42CB-91B0-10F1666A4E55.jpeg

Last edited:
Me too. I am spending 95% of my time tweaking the AXE III and 5% playing. This is not a good ratio, but man is it fun!
Yes it is, and then, suddenly without realizing it, you tickle the right settings and find you've lost 2 hours 'testing' them. A good time to hit the 'save' button, that is....

I'm going back to basics and picking up words that I mis-understood or that I I did not know the definition of and filling in gaps in my music education. It's miraculous. I play better every day with about 30-45 minutes of defining words.

Back
Top Bottom