What are you listening to?

I saw David Sanchez with Lage Lund. What a great band. I've loved Sanchez for years, but that was my first time hearing Lage Lund. Excellent player.

Gilad Hekselman: "Split Life" and a David Sanchez live bootleg from London with Lage Lund on guitar.

And Opeth "Ghost Reveries" Always a hit in the car :)

Jens

Looking forward to hearing "Revelator." Derek is one of my favorite guitars and the band they put together is phenomenal. I can't believe they have Maurice Brown on trumpet. He's one of the finest young trumpeters alive.

Been listening to Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentleman's Mo Hippa Live a lot. Some of the best funky New Orleans R & B/funk you'll ever hear with a ridiculously tight 4 piece band. Big D (Derwin Perkins) on guitar is an amazing rhythm/fill guitarist and his few solos are just completely musical and beautifully constructed. Cleary is a fantastic pianist (Bonnie Raitt's pianist for years), singer and songwriter. Rhythm section is outstanding, backing vocal outstanding. Here's a taste... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKsjJnJue7I and here's one from the tour of the live CD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3X6JgGXkBY&feature=related

Last edited:
On the Extreme metal front, The Black Dahlia Murder (last two albums) and Wintersun never fail to dazzle. In fact, everyone might like Wintersun's album on sheer musical prowess and beauty alone. Moving somewhere progish: Opeth. Also i can't pretend not to be swept up in Misha Mansoor and Tosin Abasi's "Djent" phenomenon. Listening to alot of Meshuggah too.

Always keeping an eye on Ola Englund and whatever high gain amp tests he rolls out. Looking forward to his Axe II Demo.

I saw David Sanchez with Lage Lund. What a great band. I've loved Sanchez for years, but that was my first time hearing Lage Lund. Excellent player.

Looking forward to hearing "Revelator." Derek is one of my favorite guitars and the band they put together is phenomenal. I can't believe they have Maurice Brown on trumpet. He's one of the finest young trumpeters alive.

Been listening to Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentleman's Mo Hippa Live a lot. Some of the best funky New Orleans R & B/funk you'll ever hear with a ridiculously tight 4 piece band. Big D (Derwin Perkins) on guitar is an amazing rhythm/fill guitarist and his few solos are just completely musical and beautifully constructed. Cleary is a fantastic pianist (Bonnie Raitt's pianist for years), singer and songwriter. Rhythm section is outstanding, backing vocal outstanding. Here's a taste... YouTube - ‪Jon Cleary and The Absolute Monster Gentlemen‬‏ and here's one from the tour of the live CD. YouTube - ‪Jon Cleary - Mo Hipper‬‏

The bootleg from London is here: Lage Lund « You Are What You Hear
If you like Lage, you should check Gilad together with Ari Hoenig. The way they play together is really far out. Fantastic!

Jens

in my car EVERGREY-IN SEARCH OF THE TRUTH, in my v drums input, dream theater systemic chaos, on my wifi radio ---prog metal radio station; dying for newest symphony x, recent spin BORN OF OSIRIS

Thanks

The bootleg from London is here: Lage Lund « You Are What You Hear
If you like Lage, you should check Gilad together with Ari Hoenig. The way they play together is really far out. Fantastic!

Jens

Thanks for this. I'm downloading as I write. I had forgotten that it was Henry Cole on drums, too. What a fabulous drummer he is. I'll check the Ari Hoenig with Lage Lund. I heard Ari live a couple of years ago and he was great. It never ceases to amaze me how much awesome music goes so undernoticed.

They just caught my ears attention too. They've been playing Pumped Up Kicks on the radio here in Milwaukee quite a bit.

"Pumped Up Kicks" is the "hit", but not their best song by far. All the cuts on their debut album "Torches" can be heard on YouTube. There are at least 4-5 radio hits waiting to happen. Listen to the chorus of "I Would Do Anything For You" and tell me that's not an instant Top Ten hit. The internet is starting to produce some great bands totally independant of the major labels.
Wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOIfNyBmZ0g&feature=related

Last edited:
"Pumped Up Kicks" is the "hit", but not their best song by far. All the cuts on their debut album "Torches" can be heard on YouTube. There are at least 4-5 radio hits waiting to happen. Listen to the chorus of "I Would Do Anything For You" and tell me that's not an instant Top Ten hit. The internet is starting to produce some great bands totally independant of the major labels.
Wonderful.

YouTube - ‪I Would Do Anything For You - Foster The People‬‏

I know music is a very subjective topic, and I mean no disrespect, but IMO... that sucked arse.

But, I really do dig the movement of bands getting noticed without major labels backing them. This is a very good thing indeed. :D

Will listen soon to Devin Townsend "Ghost" and "Deconstruction", two albums recorded with the Axe Fx. Listening to nothing now, busy reinstalling all my programs on a fresh Win XP.

I know music is a very subjective topic, and I mean no disrespect, but IMO... that sucked arse.

But, I really do dig the movement of bands getting noticed without major labels backing them. This is a very good thing indeed. :D

Their debut album has only been on I-Tunes since May 23rd and it already has over a thousand five star ratings from customer raters (and 23 pages of rave comments). That's alot of buzz for an unknown group that's only been performing for a year. I'd like to be in a band that sucks that bad.

Their Cinderella story shows you dont have to be with a major label anymore to achieve notoriety and success.

Last edited:
Just saw Cake live, awesome band with cheesy tones, but lot's of fun.
Rodrigo Y Gabriella
Satch
Tommy Emmanuel

Agreed. I'm really excited about music again. Artists have the freedom and resources to do what they want these days, and are getting some good attention all on their own. It's a very positive atmosphere, that's for sure.

Agreed. I'm really excited about music again. Artists have the freedom and resources to do what they want these days, and are getting some good attention all on their own. It's a very positive atmosphere, that's for sure.

Fractal and other similar companies (plus the internet) are primarily responsible for this freedom. You can now record tunes for (relatively) next to nothing and sell them online. Look at a guy like Keith Merrow for example, or even Bulb from Periphery. Inexpensive equipment has really leveled the playing field, and we're all reaping the benefit.

Inexpensive equipment has really leveled the playing field, and we're all reaping the benefit.

On both sides. Players and listeners. With the internet and affordable digital recording technology the music world is starting to belong to the creative musicians and fans again. The days of the major label's strangle-hold over music distribution and the limitations of radio airplay are now gone. I think there will be a creativity explosion in music for the next 5-10 years (hopefuly longer).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom