What are you listening to right now?

Great concert! - have it on DVD - the Queen era to which I was initially introduced many moons ago - If Queen only ever released the 1st 3 Albums' material covered in that show (Queen, QueenII, Sheer Heart Attack) , I'd still have them as one of my fav bands of all time. The early stuff is so frickin heavy - awesome! - was mind blowing to here this vv in 74.

Last edited:
I hear parts of this album in my head all the time, and I had to relisten to it again today just to get it out. When the Mirror Cracks is Q5's second album, and to me, it's absolutely some of the best darkly cinematic rock, for lack of any other way to describe it. I can't listen to it without seeing a film in my head. Absolutely low budget, absolutely made in the 80s, but with the best writing, acting, and directing. Most of the movie definitely takes place at night. I'm also picturing something slightly different, just a little weird, like Criminal Law, or Blue Steel maybe; even Internal Affairs (one of the greatest ever dirty cop movies). There are also parts that could totally be an alternate soundtrack to Bloodsport, and I cannot think of anything more awesome than that. Floyd Rose himself was in the band at this point, and the solo for the first song is played by him. Of course you can hear whammy all over the album, but the guitar tone is bizzare and just...oh, I guess bizzare is the only word for it. But the singing is so earnest, and the songs are so earnest, and I just love it head to toe, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Of course there's one song that's utter garbage, but otherwise, a mature, dark masterpiece, in my book.

Great concert! - have it on DVD - the Queen era to which I was initially introduced many moons ago - If Queen only ever released the 1st 3 Albums' material covered in that show (Queen, QueenII, Sheer Heart Attack) , I'd still have them as one of my fav bands of all time. The early stuff is so frickin heavy - awesome! - was mind blowing to here this vv in 74.

The early stuff is totally underrated when it comes to heavy music! I was only the ripe old age of 8 when I heard QII and didn't really understand what I was hearing but I know I liked it.

The early stuff is totally underrated when it comes to heavy music! I was only the ripe old age of 8 when I heard QII and didn't really understand what I was hearing but I know I liked it.
In the early 70s, AM radio was king but playing mostly pop oriented hits only - FM radio was in it's early years but that's where we got our album rock. A university FM station here started playing Queen1/2 and the not so many who listened in were marvelling at the guitar sound and vocals / vocal harmonies. It was one of special things I look back and recognize as a kind of unique musical moment - there have not been many of those - Queen was one along with a few others where I remember my first exposures clearly: Boston1, VH1, Kiss Alive 1, Rush, All the World's a Stage, Black Sabbath Paranoid - new sounds that grabbed me.

Hookers & Blow. Clearly the best band name ever but anyone covering Zep, Elton John & The Beastie Boys on the same album is OK in my book no matter what they call themselves.

Silence...the sound of my fridge running in the background, my tinnitus, my fingers tapping on the keyboard. There are times after a busy day that peace and quiet can be quite refreshing...and am currently enjoying the evening with the storm door opened and the screen locked, and it's nice to not have the sound of street traffic or first responders driving through. Not even the sound of summer bugs or animals. Neighbors, too, have gone to bed. Will enjoy a drink, a cuppa tea, and a snack. I am content with what I have for now, and don't need spend time, money or energy on wants or perceived needs.

Back
Top Bottom