What are you guys using for Back-up Rigs

TJ Lincoln

Hey guys. First I'll admit I use the AXE primarily as a back-up to my Bogner Goldfinger/Pedal board. I do run it in my FX Loop for some of the cool effects, but my amp is my primary tool.

This works great as one week my amp had a tube issue so I plugged my Axe into the FOH channel, turned on cab and power amp sims, and rocked out.

Many times I have thought of going just to the Axe, but I hate not having a back-up capability. Wondering what you guys keep in your tool kit for if/when your Axe goes "tits-up"?

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 40
This question comes up every now and then and Ive seen all from Line6 to buying and extra AXE as backup plan. Pretty much depends on how much critical your gigs are.
I play live but just for hobby and fun so currently having no backup, if it fails, the other guitarist can finish the gig and I hang in the bar getting properly drunk ;)

If you are somewhat semi-pro to pro player I would suggest additional AXE as backup. Read our forum friend Simeon´s nerv wrecking story about coming to a Gig and nothing works. This time it sorted itself out (with a loose cable or something inside) but could been totally dead.

Side question though, switchpedals in your setup (5 + 3 with leds) is it DIY or bought it somewhere?

I don't really have a backup rig. I suppose I could take my little HT-5, seeing as the amp'll be mic'd anyway. But it sounds pretty rubbish through my 2x12 with CL80s, so then I'd have to take the V30 1x12 as well... ahh forget it.

I've thought about putting together a mini-rig just on a pedalboard though, using one of those EHX Magnum thingoes to power it. Probably will at some point, but I've spent way too much gear lately as it is.

Loop Master pedals. I had two boxes custom built. The one on the right has a tuner out, wah, and OD. This runs into the front of the amp. The second has a bypass button and 5 switchers to run the effects in my FX loop. Cool thing is its sits at the front of the board and when the loop for a particular switch are off the signal is true bypass. Very clean set-up

I'm overly cautious and always bring a back-up. When I run FOH with no-need for on-stage 2x12 cab, I bring a Mesa TA-15, a small 1x12 and a couple pedals and keep them in my car. In a pinch, I can have it set-up in minutes. If the house has a cab, all I need is to grab the TA-15. It's super small, light, and sounds great. I'm the only guitar in one of my bands, and it would ruin the night without the backup.

Loop Master pedals. I had two boxes custom built. The one on the right has a tuner out, wah, and OD. This runs into the front of the amp. The second has a bypass button and 5 switchers to run the effects in my FX loop. Cool thing is its sits at the front of the board and when the loop for a particular switch are off the signal is true bypass. Very clean set-up

Thanks for the info. very nice and clean indeed.

Self contained pedal board with overdrive, modulation and time based effects and at the end of the chain a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B simulator. This is a cool stomp box format that allows for cab and amp simulations including user generated ones. This means no amp or preamp needed if you are going directly to the FOH and, in my case, wireless ear monitors. FAS should buy this company! It is not as cool as the Axe FX and MFC controller but a great portable back up solution. Check out this video and especially the very end where he describes how it is used live.
Two Notes Torpedo CAB Speaker Simulator, demo by Pete Thorn - YouTube

I have an Ultra, a ***HD Pro and soon a Kemper.

Because I can. :D

PS- TJ, Your PRS made me drool like a fat bird at a Chinese buffet.

The crowd does not care as long as you rip it off into any wedge placed in the back. Your buddies might.

Back
Top Bottom