What are the lightest panels for a rack?

My 3U 19" rack will have to be replaced for the Axe FX III. I'm planning a 4U shockproof rack and considering ordering the parts and building it myself.

What are the lightest panels you know of? Anything lighter than astroboard?

A few years ago in Los Angeles, I ran into a guy that had a small business building flight cases for the movie industry. He handed me a flight case and I laughed when I took it because it was ridiculously light. It was hard to believe how light it was for its size. I don't recall the name of the material.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ah I got cha....

Well, my Gator molded case is the lightest I've owned by far, however, its not shock mount. I think SKB does, or did, a shock mount roto-mold cases, which again I would think will be lighter than any any more traditional construction, but shock mounts with the internal frames just tend to weight so much more in general. I think you can have them light, or you can have shock absorbing, but light and shock absorbing would be a tough goal

light and shock absorbing would be a tough goal

Therein lies the challenge!
I might end up buying Gator or something else. I just wanted to see if there were any innovations out there in our Axeworld.

I have a second rack case with those rubber shock mounts. I feel that the equipment still takes a bit of a jolt. I'm not convinced it's the best method. I like the rack-on-foam solution better. Looking for some experienced-based wisdom out there.

Back
Top Bottom