What Are the Final Frontiers of Modeling

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Working from home during this mess at the day gig, plus doing Dr Bonkers, plus family & friends time doesn't usually give me a lot time to ponder the horizon. I'm usually focused on the the next task in a production ladder. But I got some time to think about the future of modeling, so I thought I would share them to see what others think.

To me, the holy grail that modeling still needs to crack is the impedance loading of your pickups capturing your performance into a fuzz pedal hitting a tube amp. You can do tricks with various modeling to get close, but unless the modelers have the ability to measure that impedance prior to analog to digital converter stage and alter both the fuzz and amp algorithms based on what that signal would do to both in the analog domain, there will always be that fine sonic uncanny valley. Perhaps a selection of pickup variables based off of real world playing measurements that would be inserted into the algorithms would work too.

Some of the more solid state amp and hybrid ss/tube topographies are yet to be modeled too.

The other thing that's missing is a resource that tells me how I can take an established amp model and alter it to sound and behave like another amp that isn't modeled. That info would be worth a lot to many people and would not have them clamoring for the latest hot rodded Marshall variant to be modeled when changing just x, y, + z parameters will give you the same sound and feel.

Back
Top Bottom