What are the best cheaper headphones for the Axe-FX II?

Senheiser 280 HD pro = good

Shure SR 40 = better

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 = great

Breyer Dynamic DT 770 or 880 = the best

Learning Center - Build a Headphone Graph | HeadRoom Audio

I've tried the DT770s and really did not like them. See the frequency graph in the above link. They have a dip in the 2k-5k region and bumps in the lows. This results in a scooped sound (lots of lows and highs). They were extremely comfortable and sounded great for games, movies, and probably electronic-type music (I don't really listen to that type of music).

They sound great when you first try them and then once you've tried headphones with a flatter response you realize how much you're missing. It's kind of like a typical hi-fi scooped speaker vs studio monitors. Studio monitors sound plain and dull until you get used to them, especially if you're used to typical consumer hi-fi speakers. However, what you put in is generally what you get out, which is what I look for in headphones.

I also found that the DT770s didn't translate well to other systems. I wouldn't recommend building presets on them unless they're all you'll be using with the Axe. The one thing I did like about them is that they were nice for checking the lows (80hz and lower) in your mixes. Due to the bump in the lows, it was really easy to hear what's going on in that region.

I strongly recommend checking out the graphs at headphone.com. Look for a set of headphones that has as few dips and/or peaks as possible.

THE DT-880 are really great headphones IMO; though, as with any headphones, a real amp is order of magnitude more rewarding to play on. I use the 250 Ohm version and feel both the axe and my laptop can squeeze enough tone out of them (well, the laptop can not manage defeaning volumes, but enough either way).

Don't laugh but I have found the new apple ear buds to be great . I am using them with Shure IEM system and their big bass response is just what's needed. My son uses them with a small extension cable into the Axe Fx and he likes them better than his AKG 240's. I can't remember what he said about the needing an adapter for the microphone equipped 4 segment jack...I'll contact him later today and find out ..At $35 in au they would surely qualify as the cheapest and the tone is remarkable.In the US they are probably even cheaper.:D:victorious::victorious:

If you've got $100 go out and get yourself either the Alessandro MS-1s or Grado SR-80s both which I absolutely recommend. If you're aiming for what people would consider more of a "normal" asking price on headphones though, the Superlux HD668B are an absolute steal at their price point ($50). Got myself a pair the other day since I couldn't resist at that price point and am very much pleased with them. It's got audiophile grade sound (reminds me a lot of the AKG 240) for almost nothing.

hi all

i'm very pleased with my AKG K450: light and comfortable, affordable (about 100$)
and most important, a nice spectrum with all frequencies at quiet the same level: not bassy, no gap in mids , not harsh with high... well balanced with nice punch and find it very accurate for the guitar frequencies and harmonics.

Senheiser 280 HD pro = good

Shure SR 40 = better

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 = great

Breyer Dynamic DT 770 or 880 = the best

You have to add AKGs phones in there as well - the 240s and 271s depending if you want open or closed back. I ave the 271s and chose them over the ATHs and BD 770s after trying them.

Back
Top Bottom