What are some tips and tricks for glassy cleans?

So your not putting the compressor before the Amp? I have always used compressors before the Amp.
But I have also used them after the amp and effects mic’ed through the mixer.
I’ll give it a go Thanks

Thanks Simeon
I really appreciate the tip and I will definitely be trying this out to see how it works and checking out the sound.
Thank you for your answer :)
I need all the help I can get with all of this.
I’ve been so used to using the same gear for ever and haven’t had to really tweak anything because of it, and now with the Axefxiii it has thrown me into a whole new world and I’m loving it.
Thanks again.

Normally I'd do glassy cleans on a clean amp (plenty of good choices, I use Dumble clean, HiWatt, BF Fender & Matchless HC30 a lot), but if you are looking for Hendrix glassy, try replicating the old way to get those tones : guitar -> germanium fuzz -> Marshall Plexi on the edge of breakup.
With the fuzz off you have edge of breakup , with the fuzz on you have good olde hippie acid mayhem, but with the fuzz on and the volume control on the guitar turned (way) down you'll get a glassy clean tone that is to die for, lots of hi-end sparkle and glassiness.

Normally I'd do glassy cleans on a clean amp (plenty of good choices, I use Dumble clean, HiWatt, BF Fender & Matchless HC30 a lot), but if you are looking for Hendrix glassy, try replicating the old way to get those tones : guitar -> germanium fuzz -> Marshall Plexi on the edge of breakup.
With the fuzz off you have edge of breakup , with the fuzz on you have good olde hippie acid mayhem, but with the fuzz on and the volume control on the guitar turned (way) down you'll get a glassy clean tone that is to die for, lots of hi-end sparkle and glassiness.

:)

A super clean amp with no cab can give you that 80's clean thing too.
Yeah, I really like that 'trick' being a child of the 80s. It gives the 'flavor' from the amp but still has that straight to the board thing happening where there is no cab roll off.

Hahaha - had not seen that before :)
I rolled like that for years, a Strat into my Analogman NKT 275 Sunface into a plexi was the backbone of my rig, with a wah, booster, trem and delay to add other choices, but the AM Surface was (almost) always on.
Still a special feeling when I fire up my Cornell Plexi with the Sunface in front.
Must admit that it's been some time since I've used that combination in the Axe with the volume pot turned down so I can't say if that trick really works with the Axe with FW 6.04 since the pick up loading / interaction with the fuzz in not working the same as with the "real" gear as the Axe input is buffered - no way around this according to Cliff, as I asked him once.

Helpful hint for those wanting to mix a cab-free signal with a cab - the "TOTALLY-FLAT" cab model (bank factory 2 #1024) then mix it with other cabs using the cab level control in the cab block. Easiest way to mix a direct signal with a non-flat IR.

Agree about Shiver Clean, Dumble, Hi Watt, Matchless, and some Fenders (esp. turning the bright cap down a bit while decreasing MV to 5 helps get into glassy territory).

Also a not-quite-glassy amp may get there with a bit of tilt eq, with transition say around 800-1000 Hz, bumping higher freq a 1-3 dB.

Back
Top Bottom