What are some tips and tricks for glassy cleans?

Did a bit of reading on Yek's guide to the drive block because I really wanted to get a good clean sound out of my Axe Fx III. What are some of your favorite ways to get nice glassy cleans, any particular cabs or IRs I should try out?

Boosting what? Clean sounds are rarely paired with boosts or more gain/drive.

I heard it was good for making the clean guitars atand out from the heavy distorted guitars, like the eternal love pedal, if one puts the settings low and increases the level, it gives it a glassy sound according to Yek.

Driving input gain is what creates distortion.

If you want to "Boost" a clean sound to stand out in a mix, use the Level knob and/or EQ and/or compressor.

Having said that, I just tried (for the fist time) the 'FET Preamp' in the drive block with a low drive setting of 1.9. Give that a try.

Last edited:
To improve the glassiness with whatever amp model use an eq block before the amp block and cut some db (-6?) somewhere between 300Hz and 400Hz with a Q of around 1.5 or 2. Walk the frequencies up and down and listen.

Dropping the Input Trim will give ya more clean headroom.
Also that Skyline preamp, replacing the preamp section of another amp with that preamp can work nicely.. I believe if ya do that with the Ampeg SV with the Skyline ya have yourself a makeshift SSS.. and that’s about as good as it gets.

Boosting what? Clean sounds are rarely paired with boosts or more gain/drive.
Dweezil for one, uses a clean direct guitar along with overdriven sounds quite often in order to get clarity. More common than you might think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this. Scene 1 (without cab model) or 2 (with cab model).
Thank you so much!
Yek that is definitely a “glassy clean” very very cool I will use that with some of the Van Morrison stuff I’ve been playing.
It’s a marvelous night for a moon dance.
That is now saved I absolutely love it....
Really appreciate you putting that out there.
Thanks Yek.

I heard it was good for making the clean guitars atand out from the heavy distorted guitars, like the eternal love pedal, if one puts the settings low and increases the level, it gives it a glassy sound according to Yek.
Actually, that's a good point. Kind of like putting some saturation on a bass so it cuts through in a mix (especially on small speakers/iPhones/etc). Like Zed said, a low gain pedal like the FET will put just a touch of hair on it which will help it stand out.

But your original question was about glassy clean and didn't clarify what you meant about the drive block, so most of us didn't think of it that way.

The Eternal Love pedal/model has a Tone knob which can turn the pedal into a treble booster. With this, you can get a glassy clean sound from a clean amp sound, and even from a distorted amp sound with the guitar's volume knob turned down.

Back
Top Bottom