What are proper levels in the 4 cable into the front of an amp?

So I went straight into the front of the axe-fx, OUT1>front of amp and my tone is pretty chewed up. It lost a lot of attack and sizzle. I have the output knob at 12'. I started with no blocks, just straight line through. I want to sort this out before going deeper with the 4CM.

Thanks!

That’s not 4CM yet. Have you followed the instructions of 4CM in the owners manual? Out 2 should go to the front input of the amp.

That’s not 4CM yet. Have you followed the instructions of 4CM in the owners manual? Out 2 should go to the front input of the amp.

I think you misunderstood my point. Right now, that doesn't even matter because I'm not happy with how the Axe is handling outputs. I'm using OUT1 right now because I have an early model II that handles IN\OUT2 differently (unrelated to the 4CM).

Your amp is expecting Instrument Level, not Line Level which is what the Axe outputs by default, so you need to dial the level hitting the amp way back. There are a number of places that could be done, though the FX Loop Block is the easiest.

You should use out 2 to the amp, dial it back until the amp isn't getting killed, and the use the Axe's meters and the FX Loop Block's Level control to set your level back to the Axe from the amp.

Gain staged correctly it works fine.

I think you misunderstood my point. Right now, that doesn't even matter because I'm not happy with how the Axe is handling outputs. I'm using OUT1 right now because I have an early model II that handles IN\OUT2 differently (unrelated to the 4CM).
Out 1 puts too much signal for an instrument input for an amp. it's recommended to use Out 2 to go to an amp input.

your thread title asks about 4cm. i answered regarding 4cm. Out 1 isn't the best choice for the instrument input to the amp. using it like that will probably make it sound bad. if you connect it as the manual and i suggested, it might sound better.

if your goal is 4cm, you might as well plug it in that way now so you're following the intended connection methods. Out 1 to the amp isn't a good indicator of what 4cm might sound like.

Actually Out 1 & 2 are electronically similar aside from connectors, but you still have to gain stage correctly etc.

I agree that setting it up correctly for 4CM is the way to go with Out 2 to the Amp In, and the Amp FX Send back to In 2, with Out 1 back to the Amp FX Return.

Get the setup and gain staging right it'll work well, I've done it for years with both an Ultra and a Axe II.

Last edited:
Your amp is expecting Instrument Level, not Line Level which is what the Axe outputs by default, so you need to dial the level hitting the amp way back. There are a number of places that could be done, though the FX Loop Block is the easiest.

You should use out 2 to the amp, dial it back until the amp isn't getting killed, and the use the Axe's meters and the FX Loop Block's Level control to set your level back to the Axe from the amp.

Gain staged correctly it works fine.

I have an EbTech line adjuster, so I'll give that a shot. I can go from +4db to -10 with it. But as I understand it, isn't instrument level -20db?

You may be able to just reduce the Out 1 knob to send less signal if it’s overloading the amp input. Have you tried the 4cm setup as demonstrated in the manual?

Sure, you don't need the line adjuster, just turn down the Axe's send to the amp, and watch the return levels as well.

It works great once you get your levels set, enjoy!

Actually Out 1 & 2 are electronically similar aside from connectors, but you still have to gain stage correctly etc.

I agree that setting it up correctly for 4CM is the way to go with Out 2 to the Amp In, and the Amp FX Send back to In 2, with Out 1 back to the Amp FX Return.

Get the setup and gain staging right it'll work well, I've done it for years with both an Ultra and a Axe II.

Right, but I have a 0-100 model II which has a different Out 2. It's unique to the early run of the AxeFX II non-xl MK1. So I'm trying to control that first. If I can't get there with levels alone I'll try a Radial Reamp box, I don't want to lose any of the nice crispiness\balls that you get with a nice dirt pedal up front.

Will do some experiments and post results and go from there.

Right, but I have a 0-100 model II which has a different Out 2. It's unique to the early run of the AxeFX II non-xl MK1. So I'm trying to control that first. If I can't get there with levels alone I'll try a Radial Reamp box, I don't want to lose any of the nice crispiness\balls that you get with a nice dirt pedal up front.

Will do some experiments and post results and go from there.

Hmmm, I had no idea the Axe FX Mk 1 was different with regards to I/O, sorry about that, though in my case no issues with both an Axe FX Ultra and a Axe FX II Mk II in 4CM.

I thought they all had...

Front Panel Input
Connector: 1/4” phone jack, unbalanced.
Impedance: 1 Mohm
Max. Input Level: +12 dBu (conditioned for guitar use)

Rear Inputs
Max. Input Level: +18 dBu

Analog Outputs
Connectors: 1/4” phone jack unbalanced, XLR balanced (for main output)
Impedance: 100 ohm
Max Output Level: +18 dBu
Dynamic Range: > 105 dB
Frequency Response: 20 - 20kHz, +0 / -3 dB

Hmmm, I had no idea the Axe FX Mk 1 was different with regards to I/O, sorry about that, though in my case no issues with both an Axe FX Ultra and a Axe FX II Mk II in 4CM.

I thought they all had...

Front Panel Input
Max. Input Level: +12 dBu (conditioned for guitar use)

Rear Inputs
Max. Input Level: +18 dBu

Analog Outputs
Connectors: 1/4” phone jack unbalanced, XLR balanced (for main output)
Impedance: 100 ohm
Max Output Level: +18 dBu
Dynamic Range: > 105 dB
Frequency Response: 20 - 20kHz, +0 / -3 dB

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-axe-ii-has-had-the-mod.76027

Back
Top Bottom