What are Fractal's plans for the unused USB port?

Just throwing this out there...

I'd still kill for an official 1U row of real-amp-feeling knobs I could map to block parameters like the FxUnits RAC12 could do.

Seems like the USB port would be perfect for that!
I assume they will add a performance page eventually, and with that, the knobs would be able to be assigned to various params that you want to quickly adjust.

Our #1 goal is to use it for a WiFi or Bluetooth adapter for wireless editing.

Just to echo what another forum member asked: This means it'll furnish power to most USB-level stuff you would plug in there, right, Cliff?

It would have to in order to power an adapter, right?

Just to echo what another forum member asked: This means it'll furnish power to most USB-level stuff you would plug in there, right, Cliff?

It would have to in order to power an adapter, right?

Unless they use a proprietary pinout, which I sincerely hope they don't, they USB port would have to supply some sort of power (5v is the USB spec, I believe).

That makes those $15 usb-powered DACs on Amazon much more compelling as a headphone solution for early purchasers. Heck, just enabling 5V DC over USB on that port would open up a metric ton of possibilities, I really hope Fractal does that soon

If the only advantage to wireless meant that you didn’t have to use a USB cable, that’s not really a big difference, IMO. Adding iOS and Android for phones and tablets... now THAT would be huge!

We have knobs already.....

Don’t be glib.

I assume they will add a performance page eventually, and with that, the knobs would be able to be assigned to various params that you want to quickly adjust.

I’m sure they will too. However I’ve tried the performance page in the Axe III and it still requires button clicking in the middle of performance, and even after that, you’re still using tiny black knobs placed close together on a black background.

I’m just saying it would be very useful to have a control panel of similar physical size and layout as a traditional amp, with all the “major” controls always instantly available and accessible.

I still think it’s the one single desirable feature tube amps have that most modelers simply don’t.

The knobs on the front of the Axe III and FM3 are nice to have, but are ultimately still quite a compromise in a live environment.

Don’t be glib.

I’m sure they will too. However I’ve tried the performance page in the Axe III and it still requires button clicking in the middle of performance, and even after that, you’re still using tiny black knobs placed close together on a black background.

I’m just saying it would be very useful to have a control panel of similar physical size and layout as a traditional amp, with all the “major” controls always instantly available and accessible.

I still think it’s the one single desirable feature tube amps have that most modelers simply don’t.

The knobs on the front of the Axe III and FM3 are nice to have, but are ultimately still quite a compromise in a live environment.

Weird thing is that many AX8 users did / do not use the physical amp controls at all.

Weird thing is that many AX8 users did / do not use the physical amp controls at all.

I'd use it constantly, and as the primary way I'd tweak sounds.

I already use the editor as the primary way I edit sounds over the front panel because there, groups of controls are arranged in front of you, and you just use your mouse pointer like a hand, that is, to just reach over to grab and tweak any parameter on the screen. It definitely beats the extra step of having to use the Nav arrows to scroll to each parameter you want to use. Even considering the editor though, if you could just skip having to use a mouse and instead use your actual hand to turn actual knobs, that would feel even more "direct" and you could cut out using the mouse for a good deal of your standard workflow.

I'd use the editor for patch building/layout, menu navigation, and really complex adjustments sure, but once the patch is built, you wouldn't need the editor for fundamental adjustments like amp and basic effects tweaking if you had a physical row of always-available controls.

Incidentally I realize how it sounds to come in here and tell Fractal how to run its business by suggesting this or that product be developed. I don’t mean to be disrespectful, just to point out desired features or products at least some of the user base would go for.

Last edited:
Our #1 goal is to use it for a WiFi or Bluetooth adapter for wireless editing.
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/531942-qsc-cp-000033-00-usb-dongle-for-touchmix-series
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 2.04.00 PM.png
The QSC touchmix mixer comes with that WiFi dongle and it’s been 100% solid when in range. Super small and I’ve never had an issue. Just a thought.

I used them on occasion, but never really had to change amp settings at the gig. It was mostly effect block settings like mix. Performance pages would have been great.

Another case of massive requests for something (amp block controls on the front panel for Axe2 of course which was implemented on a new device) but then not used by many. Could be implementation, but most likely “it was a good idea but something people just don’t use.” It happens often with wishes ;)

Last edited:

Exactly Yek. I never did considering it was on the floor. But I guess because of the smaller footprint of the FM3, maybe some will have it elevated and accessible when they play. My FM3 is on the floor.
BUT, big but, this is why I have wished many times that all functions on the front panel were accessible thru (any) AxeEdit.. But I guess it's a monumental task or it would have been done already.

I did/do from time to time. Sometimes I just need to tweak the amp a bit. I always wished I could program them for other parameters though - for example, I never touch Depth or Master Vol and would've loved to be able to adjust something like Reverb or Delay mixes on the fly. But I'm still glad the amp controls are there on the AX8. So I'm definitely looking forward to the Performance pages on the FM3...

I would use the knobs on the AX8 during sound check and once in a while during a set. Same for perf page on the AXE3 and will use them when we get on the FM3.

Would be handy to have power on the USB port to run a tablet in case batteries are a little low.

On the subject of additional knobs, can anyone recommend a decent quality midi controller that connects via standard USB?
6 knobs minimum (don't need keys or pads)
Thanks.

Wireless control to offstage would be interesting to have, for on the fly editing or midi control.
Or wireless audio transmission.
Kinda future-proofing the box - not the worst idea.

Hopefully they will "enable" power-out to the usb port .... will make powering my MC6 MKII much less "hassley" :)

Ben

Last edited:
Bad thing about wireless for my setup is there probably needs to be a battery somewhere and that means I'm going to forget to change / charge that battery, which is why I sold my wireless stuff.

Last edited:
Bad thing about wireless for my setup is there probably needs to be a battery somewhere and that means I'm going to forget to change / charge that battery, which is why I sold my wireless stuff.
Where would you need a battery? The FM3 is getting 110-240VAC so anything near it or attached to it requiring power can be/probably will be plugged in as well with some sort of pedalboard power strip situation if it cannot be powered by the FM3 via the USB port itself.

Back
Top Bottom