What are Far Field IRs for

sprint

Axe-Master
Hi:

I'm not well versed in this stuff, but like to tinker anyway.

I've used the Redwire IRs here and there and like some of them a lot as alternatives to some stock cabs.

Today - I was mucking about with the Redwire Far Field IRs. I didn't find them sounding very good over my FRFR gear. I guess this makes sense since it's a cab mic'd from 5 feet away played through a speaker which I'm standing 5 feet away from (does this make sense?). I do find that the Far Fields sound great through headphones which I guess also makes sense.

So - what's the deal with these Far Fields?

Maybe it's meant more for recording? I've heard some folks combine multiple IR's (including the FF one's) to get a perfectly blended (shaken, not stirred) custom IR.

The far-fields we did are probably too on-axis for most people's taste. They sound pretty good mixed with close mics, but they don't stand well on their own, IMO.

We're in the process of mixing up another batch where we take a bunch of off-axis samples and mix them to arrive at an IR that sounds like the cabinet from an average listening position. It's more of an art than a science. We kind of just walk around the room try to find a mix that captures the vibe of what we're hearing.

Once we find a good median, we tweak the mix a bit to come up with multiple flavors (i.e. scooped, air, thump, mellow) to suit people's more individual tastes.

The Rectifier cab was our first victim. I've posted a little preview that contains the base IR mix:

http://www.redwirez.com/ir/beta3jdh9th1 ... shj9xs.zip

redwire said:
The far-fields we did are probably too on-axis for most people's taste. They sound pretty good mixed with close mics, but they don't stand well on their own, IMO.

We're in the process of mixing up another batch where we take a bunch of off-axis samples and mix them to arrive at an IR that sounds like the cabinet from an average listening position. It's more of an art than a science. We kind of just walk around the room try to find a mix that captures the vibe of what we're hearing.

Once we find a good median, we tweak the mix a bit to come up with multiple flavors (i.e. scooped, air, thump, mellow) to suit people's more individual tastes.

The Rectifier cab was our first victim. I've posted a little preview that contains the base IR mix:

Awesome!!!! I'll definitely give these a try... why are you trying to entice us with freebie's!??!!?!? ;) :D

Thanks again!

redwire said:

Great! :shock:

Back
Top Bottom