What are best delay settings for high gain lead 80s solo

I need help in knowing what settings are best for delays for a high gain lead soloing tone. Think 1987-1993 hair metal guitar god slow ballads.
I'm using the med. Cathedral for reverb. And I'm using imp pre od2 for amp, full od pedal for drive, and a fo65 cab 4x12 Cali cab. And also a enhance block.

I have one delay set as ambient stereo and another also set to that. Ive got ratio on 50% and mix on 17%.

I'm not sure what the other settings need to be on to get this huge dramatic effect I want that will make the notes seem larger than life.

I'm also not sure if I actually need 2 delay pedals or one, and maybe I should also use 2 cabinets for this, I'm not sure...

Any advice on how to set delay?

I use a dual stereo delay with one delay set at 250 ms and the other at 500 ms, It's a (Van Halen Trick), I use a pretty low mix level around 10% or less.

Circular and panning delays as used by Steve Lukather for example, have a pretty 80's vibe to me. (Search the forums, there are some good threads on these.)
Besides that, I recently Googled "delay settings" and ended up on a site that stated (don't know if there is merrit to this) often used settings for 80's leads were 2 delays in tandem.
One delay 1/4 notes, panned a little from center. The second delay 1/8 notes, panned full left and right.
These 2 delays are set to (tap) tempo.

Some things I do;
Up the delay volume a tad so it sticks out more.
Play w/ each different delay type....dual / tape / Memory Man etc.
Picking the best "Filter Slope" (has its own drop down box) can make it stick out more.
Reduce some of the Low's.
Inspect what others have in their presets....FAS factory presets, forum and Axe Change presets.

Last edited:
Try this preset. Big stereo rack sound. You may want to up the delay mix for more juice

Attachments

• JMP1Bogner fish.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom