What amps have pleasantly surprised you and what amps have been a let down?

Aww, thank you. That's very kind of you. Having the models in there definitely does expose them to a much wider audience. Playing the amp models in the Axe is a way better way to sample things than listening to a professional player play clips. I enjoy listening to the recordings people make with the Axe CA models, especially the Tucana 3 model. I've even put a few AxeFX Tuc clips on the CA FB page. I want to see if Cliff would like include the Joe Bonamassa JB-100 model sometime in the future.

HELL yes !! I would LOVE a JB100 in there !!

I do really like the tucana model - I do find it a little dark and I typically treble it up a bit.

Cliff really does give some great advice about these amps on the wiki page. You can't be hesitant to turn some of those knobs up higher than you normally might. Treble and Presence really make a significant impact on those amps. Love the Bogner XTC in the AxeFx.
I think the XTC model in the Axe is pretty much spot on compared to a real one. it completely captures that "Bogner sizzle" that a lot of people actually don't like. not to forget that there have been at least three different versions of XTCs over the years which all sounded slightly different. if it's a good sounding amp is entirely a matter of taste. even when listening to official, proper recorded Bogner demos, one could think that it's a slightly "weird" sounding amp. the choice of cab and speaker is really crucial with this one...

I love the 5153 across the board as well as the Mesa MK's and the HBE, But I just dialed in the Fryette D60M and WOW such a killer amp probably going to be my main go to for the moment.

Yeah the bogner uberschall sim has by far been the biggest disappointment. Maybe it's me, but I cant seem to get anything close to the real uber sound. One of the reasons I got the Axe was to get Bogner tones specifically since bogners have been some of my favorite amps ever made and have had a chance to A/B most of them at the Amp Shop/ Bass Exchange in North Hollywood. I like some of the ecstacy sounds, but they arent quite spot on either. Better bogner sims would make me pretty happy. As for pleasantly surprising sounds, the Triaxis is awesome! Probably one of my favorite lead tones. Its got some substance and its not thin or shrill in any way. Love it.

Let-down: Triaxis . Perhaps because I own one and have played it the last 20 years. ( sorry sirius 1987 ;) )

Pleasantly-surprised: Vibrato lux (Greg Koch is one of my favorites guitar player! :) )

The 5E3 Tweed also surprised me. Because of the blocking distortion, you can set it so instead of playing on the edge of breakup, you are playing on the edge of the blocking distortion, as if the amp is falling apart, which is really cool. I also love the Bogner Ueberschall, that amp can stun fish!!! And it's got an unique presence control.

And that's kinda my biggest gripe to an extent..

Some say, 'hey, it's great, better than the real thing in fact', and others are a bit more like, 'it's m'eh at best'.. This is all fine, but I'm a firm believer of sharing patches PURELY for one main reason.. TO give the person who's trying the patch out an idea of the other's person's core tone, or core sound of a particular amp + cab. I've exchanged patches with heaps of guys and tweaked back and forth and have come away with some really good patches that I'm very happy with. We are a community aren't we?!

If you really think your particular patch sounds great, why not share it with everyone? I would be more than happy to share my patches with everyone and anyone. Yes, of course we know your playback system can heavily depend on the sound you're getting - your amp settings/cab settings, FRFR or normal cab method blah blah.

Care to share?!

I'd like to give a simple answer....:p

Basically, what I found works best is you get a muddy cab that really supports the big boomy bottom end of the Bogner. Something that sounds good, but way too much mud.

Then I pair it up with something that's completely opposite. Kinda screechy. I balance the two to get a bit of light\dark going on and then it opens up into something pretty awesome.

Now depending on which guitar I'm using...depends on which cabs I use which is why this isn't a simple answer. However I always found the Citrus 4x12 to be a good starting point as the "Primary" cab. On one guitar, I'm using Rosen as a secondary cab, on another guitar I'm using Ownhammer and on my 3rd guitar God's Cab leads the way.

So I think the Uberschall amp is REALLY dependant on your guitar and cab. All 3 of my guitars are Les-Paul-esque. But if you get all 3 singing nicely, you end up with something pretty damn beefy. I haven't really got the Uber sounding great in a mix, but it's my "Play" patch. As in the patch that I play when I want to have fun.

Be super careful with bass, scoop the mids, crank the shit out of presence and treble. Also it can be a good idea to turn down pick attack.

Care to share?!
I 2nd that! I get ok results with stereo Uberkabs with different mic's on each, still not the sound Im looking for on that. And also I should clarify that my disappointment with the Uberschall is more when Im running through my QSC PLD 4.2 and into my marshall 4x12 and carvin legacy 2x12. So it could also be the QSC, the cabs Im using, or the AXE, or just my glaring lack of knowledge on modern guitar equipment. But I DID just pick up an Ecstasy 101 and Uberkab w/ heavy duty flight cases for an ASTONISHING $1000 off of ebay! Perfect working condition and absolutely no cosmetic wear. They were just sitting in storage for 8 years and the guy wanted to move them quick. So we'll see how the Uberschall sim works once I have it hooked up to the actual cab it's supposed to be running through

Back
Top Bottom