What amps have pleasantly surprised you and what amps have been a let down?

The Splawn didn't surprise me at all as I have one and the Fractal is as good - no BETTER - than the original.
That is cool... I have never played a QR IRL, so I thought it was very cool that it was distinct feeling/playing amp that had a unique vibe. I can totally see why owners like them so much if the model is accurate.

Pleasant Surprises:

Splawn QR & Nitro models - To my ears, sounds just like the real ones. A lot of people dislike them because they expect something more Marshally, but I always found them much more suited to heavy styles than anything vintage.

Fuchs ODS - I've never played the real amp, and expected something Dumble-esque, but they have tons more midrange and gain. With a boost in front of them, I get insanely amazing high-gain lead tones out of it.

Let Downs:

Diezel Herbert - Friend has an early pre-production prototype Herbert that I've spent a ton of time with. It's an awesome and incredibly unique sounding amp. Because his isn't a finished model, maybe it sounds different than the production versions, I don't know, but the Herbert model in the Axe just isn't the same. And they didn't model the clean, which is also crazy unique in a funky, hi-fi kind of way.

Mesa Lonestar - This is one of my all-time favorite amps in person. The Axe patches sound decent, but I can't coax tones out of it like I can with the real deal. In the Axe, I'll pretty much always take the Fender models over the Lonestar.

I love the Carol Anns. My next actual amp purchase will be one of these. They're amazing.

I doubt that me not getting along with a particular model isn't the model- I had plenty of amps back in the day that I didn't really like in the end. That being said, I can't seem to get the Suhr Badger models sounding right. I'm sure that it's me, not the model.

There are plenty of amp models which I steer clear of, purely because they don't suit me, such as the really high gain amps, but I've been surprised by the usefulness of the Fender Twin models, and the AC30 ones which include the Morgan/Matchless types. Also the Plexi models are great now they exude that chimey semi-clean top end, great stuff!

For me the Diezel models are a bit of a mixed bag. I have a real D-Moll here, and the Axe models don't really touch it. I've always put it down to the fact that mine is a D-Moll and the ones in the Axe are Herberts and VH4's.

I *really* love the 5153 blue and red channels, and the Friedman HBE. They're just splendid.

It's easier to appreciate what the Axe Fx does if you've had some experience with tube amps. There is so much to like who has time to find a fault!

The Bandmaster was the biggest pleasant surprise that I have experienced so far. The Plexis are probably my go to amps these days.

As far as let downs I don't really have any because I just haven't owned most of the amps in this device so I don't go into a patch with a lot of preconceived ideas.

My fave is the Tucana and Triptik. Love the Princetons. Can't do nothing with the Friedmans funnily enough. Big fan of the Swart and Hot AC30

Let downs for me are the SLO, the Cameron, and most of the non master volume amps used for gain, like the Wrecks (Even when run LOUD like a real NMV amp).

BUT, I love the JCM800, the Mesa Marks, the XTC (I think it gets really close to the 20th 6L6 version!), the Tucana, the Super Reverb, and the DC30 is amazing!

In the physical amp world, I love ENGL amps, most of them, but especially the Fireball and the Special Edition. But I never fully enjoyed the ENGL models in my Axe. In the physical world, I never really got what's the fuss with the Rectifiers, but enjoy them greatly as models. Neither in the physical world nor in the Axe could I ever understand why everybody is so in love with Friedmans or Marshalls in general - I just think it's time for the world to let go and move on.

But guess what - I found use for all of them, either standalone for specific songs or in combinations for more general use and I love the result! Go figure.

The Cornford was the biggest disappointment because I thought I'd like it more. I haven't tried it lately so maybe the quantum effect will change my mind.

The biggest surprise is the Divide by 13s and Carol Anns. They've gotten better with each firmware. Those amps along with the 3 Trainwrecks dominate my go-to patches.

Pleasant Surprises:

Splawn QR & Nitro models - To my ears, sounds just like the real ones. A lot of people dislike them because they expect something more Marshally, but I always found them much more suited to heavy styles than anything vintage.

Fuchs ODS - I've never played the real amp, and expected something Dumble-esque, but they have tons more midrange and gain. With a boost in front of them, I get insanely amazing high-gain lead tones out of it.

Let Downs:

Diezel Herbert - Friend has an early pre-production prototype Herbert that I've spent a ton of time with. It's an awesome and incredibly unique sounding amp. Because his isn't a finished model, maybe it sounds different than the production versions, I don't know, but the Herbert model in the Axe just isn't the same. And they didn't model the clean, which is also crazy unique in a funky, hi-fi kind of way.

Mesa Lonestar - This is one of my all-time favorite amps in person. The Axe patches sound decent, but I can't coax tones out of it like I can with the real deal. In the Axe, I'll pretty much always take the Fender models over the Lonestar.

Pleasant Surprises:

Let Downs:

use the 4x12 Uber T75 (RW) cab set the cab preamp type to FET1 drive 5.0 saturation 1.65 mid 1.61..........preamp mode high quality try that let me know the i'll tell ya the amp tweaks....

JCM 800. I've never used one that I liked in real life, maybe it's because they need 1000db to work, but the one in Axe is just Superb.

Euro red, Cali leggy and JVM Marshall are the other way round.

JCM 800. I've never used one that I liked in real life, maybe it's because they need 1000db to work, but the one in Axe is just Superb..

I agree.

I run my axe through the loop of my Landry, which is my benchmark tube amp for JCM800 tones. So today I ran back n forth between the Axe as the preamp through the Landry, and the actual Landry itself. I was surprised that I liked the Axe JCM800 better!

I owned a bogner 100b ..

The sound I wanted was Bogner Blue channel which is what you hear on this recording...

That barking dirty Rhythm/ Lead sound is the blue channel.
I played a silver Klon side by side with that Bogner 100b
and the Klon nailed the Blue channel sound of the Bogner.

If I played that through clean fender or even clean fender channel 1 of Bogner
I could get Blue channel sound from Green Channel 1 clean or a Twin.

Mine slowly started going south I sent it back to Bogner to fix
when it came back it did not have the same sound as it did
So I felt it was inconsistent and I could not keep the magic
it was fleeting..
Such are tube amps..

On Cliffs of Dover you can hear what sounds like a bit of fuzz
its the Bogner with fuzz on the amp that sounds like its about to explode through the atmosphere.

Thats the Bogner and I think we are hearing both Marshall and Bogner there its a blend.
When you hear the barking sound or fuzzy sound its the Bogner....
Honking barking glory...

The xtc amps Ive heard and played did not compare too the 100b which is what they are supposed to be 100b blue channel
and Red channel too..

Not the same as early models I owned #88 out of 150 amps made.. 2nd owner...
The xtc amps which came long after those were trying to match the 100b
I never heard one or played one that came close..

Honestly you could buy a silver klon and get closer too the blue channel of the bogner 100b.
I played a Silver Klon side by side that very amp and even through the green channel of the bogner and AB'd the blue channel and it was the same sound..
There was a red knob twin in this shop I played the silver Klon through that fender amp
and got the same sound as the blue channel of my 100b..

I could have bought the Klon for 800 and saved 1200 on the boger
but I sold the bogner for double what I paid market demands price
I was made an offer I could not refuse..

Seriously get a good Klon or a great Klon clone.
and pick a clean amp in the axe fx...
something el34 plexi clean or even bassman or twin
and drive it with the Klon it would be spot on to the early Bogner 100b.

Thats what it sounded like to me and I owned that amp quite awhile...

Last edited:
I love the Carol Anns. My next actual amp purchase will be one of these. They're amazing.

I doubt that me not getting along with a particular model isn't the model- I had plenty of amps back in the day that I didn't really like in the end. That being said, I can't seem to get the Suhr Badger models sounding right. I'm sure that it's me, not the model.

Aww, thank you. That's very kind of you. Having the models in there definitely does expose them to a much wider audience. Playing the amp models in the Axe is a way better way to sample things than listening to a professional player play clips. I enjoy listening to the recordings people make with the Axe CA models, especially the Tucana 3 model. I've even put a few AxeFX Tuc clips on the CA FB page. I want to see if Cliff would like include the Joe Bonamassa JB-100 model sometime in the future.

Back
Top Bottom