What amp model has the most growl?

Thanks guys, I’ll try to pull together a sample of where I’m at and post it up tomorrow. I think I have the recto and atomic currently If I remember correctly, but I’ve been all over the amp list!

This might sound counterintuitive, but if you're wanting more growl to layer with your other guitars, using an amp with a looser distortion character and less low end can help you get a bigger tone. Sometimes if I have stereo guitars that sound good with the bass but need a little "growl," I'll use the Citrus AD30 Dirty with the bass at zero, mids and treble dimed, master volume around 7.5, and input drive to taste. Try a single track down the middle and edge it in with your wide rhythms and see how you feel. It makes things bigger without getting in the way of the bass.
Good tip. My jazz bass 'growls'way more than my precision bass. And it's the bass that's fundamentally more trebly.

I've been trying to get the following "growl tone" on the Axe Fx 3 for the last year, with no luck:

Has anyone been able to get this kind of growl with amp emulation?

I think it makes em all growl. Its my favorite of the drives in there.

I think the Friedman HBE has plenty on its own.
It’s funny you say that, because when the new drive stuff came out it put my cpu level over the top with the BB Pre, and I ended up tweaking that Uber/Mark patch til it sounded awesome without a drive. I know Cliff has since found some cpu savings with the drives, but I haven’t revisited the BB since.......might have to. ;)

I've come to realize, after discussing screaming vocalists over the years, is that everyone has their own interpretation of the word "growl" and it's definitely the same situation when discussing guitar tones.

Tagging onto what York was saying, Metallica's "Sad But True" has some extra weight in the sack brought in by a baritone Danelectro, which is definitely adding some growl to the track. I mean, listen to that fuckin' thing!

I don't particularly think "growl" in regards to the Black Album tones, though. They're much smoother, hi-gained and compressed, just like AJFA. I'd probably pick the word "grind" in place of "growl" in regards to those tones.

When I think "growl", I think more of Marshall/Bogner tones. Vai's "Bad Horsie" is a good example in the main riff-

Or Cantrell's older tones- (Someone needs to drop off a JCM800 with a Snorkler mod to the Fractal HQ, we NEED that model!)

In my own search for the perfect amount of growl and grind, I tend to track with both a Friedman model and a Mesa model. I figured before that I'd find the perfect marriage in a Diezel, but found them super compressed. (And just saw Cliff's post about exactly that the other day and am anxious to tweak some Herbie later today). My dream tone is somewhere between Petrucci's on Awake ("Lie" especially) and Cantrell's more modern tones. The music I wrote, though, almost makes me pick one or the other. Either that or it's just my head telling me "Dude, you waited 15 years for an AxeFX, you're just gonna pick one tone and run with it? Ha! Start tweaking!"

Back
Top Bottom